RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am riding down a toll road yesterday going my normal speed of 75 mph, check my rightside mirror, and all of sudden feel something hit my left arm! I look back and see my leftside mirror tumbling down the road behind me!! What the heck!! Lost cause to go back and get the mirror as I am sure it was useless. Get to my destination and check to see what happened. Seems like the bolt that goes with the adapters completely broke in half. Now I have to get new mirrors. Not a big deal as I didn't like the old ones anymore more but that is not the worst part. My friend comes up to my bike and noticing a small dent on my gas tank! ****!!! This bites!!!! I have already tried the dry ice idea but it did not work. That dent is really bothering me bad even if it is super small!! Whyyyyyyyy!!!!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Had to break down and repaint mine because of a small dent. wife did not see the need but was driving me nuts....

I feel your pain my friend...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
That really sucks, I can't believe the bolt just snapped in half like that. I'd be pretty pissed off. I also feel your pain about the tank. I bought a new jacket one day and a few short hours later I leaned forward to mess with my tach and put a scratch on the top of the tank with the zipper. My other jacket was designed not to have that issue so I just wasn't paying attention but now every single time I get on I have to look at it.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
Who made the mirrors? Was it their mounting system that failed. Rail on them, maybe, just maybe, if they think they are going to get a lot of bad publicity, they might do the right thing concerning your tank. Tell them you are a member of a quite large forum and that the word will be spread, good or bad.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sounds to me like it was the adapter bolt, not the mirror. Either way though, it's worth a try to contact them and seek compensation. I've heard of guys losing their mirrors due to it being lose and coming unscrewed which always seemed weird but I wouldn't have guessed those bolts could just break like that. Maybe a large rock hit it and you're actually LUCKY it was the mirror and not your chest?? Trying to find the silver lining....

·
Registered
94 Posts
was it a kuryakyn adapter ? my son had the same thing happen last monday when we were riding he noticed the mirror shaking went to check it and it flew into his hand it was the right side. the mirror is fine now I have to figure out how to drill the reverse thread bolt out an easy out will be useless on that side

·
Registered
611 Posts
william3rd said:
Arizona Warrior said:
I don't see the transition . . . his friend was doing what friends are allowed to do. Its a dent either way its gotta be fixed.

nmbillr said:
Your friend is an @ss.

Sounds like sarcasm to me

+ 1 Just giving his friend a hard time for makin him upset! LOL I didnt even want to talk about how mant times my mirrors came loose!!!!LOL

·
Registered
578 Posts
jabo said:
Who made the mirrors? Was it their mounting system that failed. Rail on them, maybe, just maybe, if they think they are going to get a lot of bad publicity, they might do the right thing concerning your tank. Tell them you are a member of a quite large forum and that the word will be spread, good or bad.

u know sometimes shyt just happens, why do people always wanna get compensated or threaten with bad publicity.

again shyt happens -let it go

how do u know whoever installed the mirrors didn't overtighten the bolt and stretched the bolt out too much. in other words may not be a manufacturers defect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
same thing happened to my left mirror i had the $140.00 aftermarket yamaha mirrors and it snapped were the mirror joins the stalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
roadierider said:
was it a kuryakyn adapter ? my son had the same thing happen last monday when we were riding he noticed the mirror shaking went to check it and it flew into his hand it was the right side. the mirror is fine now I have to figure out how to drill the reverse thread bolt out an easy out will be useless on that side

LEFT HAND DRILL BITS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it was a kuryakyn adapter holding the kuryakyn mirror and it broke where the mirror meets the stalk. I get my new mirrors tomorrow so I am happy but that darn dent is what really is bothering me. It is a bite smaller than the circumference of a dime and not deep at all but with a smooth shining tank any blemish can be seen!!! I guess I am going to have to live with it for now.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Try one of the inexpensive dent removal kits. I picked one up and used it on a small in my tank from a falling helmet. It pulled the dent right out, even I can barely tell where the dent used to be and I put it in there!

I picked my kit up at wal-mart for around $20 in the auto dept. Just a thought!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I feel your pain my brother. I have a 56 chevy pick-up I built in 1998.it's been featured in a magazine andI take it cruzin and to show'n'shines .I Drivemy truck every chance I get. So chips from rocks,scratches and dents happen...I look at them as badges to the fact that I drive my truck and not leave it in the garage to just look at.Soo if U see a light blue big window hot rod 56 pick-up in the home depo parking lot,it's me shopping for a new sink.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I have to agree sh1t happens..Unless youused the craftsman model 340-d-71R torquewrenchthat was enginered by Nasa and they lasorcalibrated it with thenew Acmecalibrating gismowith Flux Capistors Viaa GPS with Timealtering capability a second before the wrench touched the bolt.. Your screwed..

That being said that sucks..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts