RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the search on the site for this discussion and most of the posts are several years old. I know equipment has improved since then. I'm looking to extend the riding season this year and would like to be able to pull the bike out on those sunny, dry days with temps in the 20-30F range. Based on the research I've done on the internet the glove option and the grip option will both run around $250 (yikes) so I really don't want to do both and I want to get it right the first time. I am especially interested in hearing anybodys' experience with the battery powered Gerbing Hybrid gloves (or the Harley knock offs).

Grips: Pro-can't forget to bring them; good to have even later in season for early morning starts and mountain top rides. Con-only heat the bottom of your hands so hands still get cold on top.

Gloves: Pro-warm whole hand. Con-can leave them at home; have to deal with wiring (unless battery option is viable).

Any thoughts, specific brands or stores bought atgreatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
+1 one wanting to know.

I too have been wanting to know about heated grips. Only thing that gets cold for me is my hands. I have enough insulation to keep warm.hahaha

-Z

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
I have used heated grips on snowmachines and ATVs. I have tried several different aftermarket heated grips. I have never been pleased with the aftermarket grips. They get warm, but not warm enough. The factory heated grips on my snowmachines can get too damned hot but, as you said, they're only good for one side of the hand. I went with a Widder vest and gloves for the bike ride into work. I had 45 to 60 minutes, depending on traffic. I used the vest and gloves most days when the temp in the morning was in the 30s. The vest was GREAT. It keeps your core warm so the body won't shut down or slow down circulation to the limbs. The gloves, as you said, kept the whole hand warm. Riding at 80 mph I had to turn down the thermostat cuzI didn't need all the heat. The end of this week I am taking offon a ride toMaine and Canada. My Wing has heated grips. I have no idea how good they are though. Regardless, I am taking the vest and gloves with me in case the temps drop a bunch. On a bike I will always choose heated gloves over heated grips.Toss in the vest and I am comfortable riding with the temps in the 20s, probably even the teens though I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have these and they're awesome. With those and the jacket liner, I'm comfortable down to about 30 degrees.

Also, when my heater went out last year, I sat in front of the fireplace wearing the heated gear hooked up to an old car battery. Multipurpose!

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Last I heard, widder went out of business. I got my wife and I gerbings jacket liners and gloves from the Gerbings outlet store since the factory is close by me and saved quite a bit. With both the jacket liner and gloves, you can extend the riding season to year round as long as the roads are safe. I've ridden in the 20's and been comfy. There were a couple of times I thought about the heated socks because when it's really cold, my toes get pretty cold. I'd recommend gerbings and I'll bet there's not a person that's used them that didn't wish they'd gotten them sooner.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I just got a pair of leather chaps really cheap from https://www.leatherup.com/

They were going for $200.00 and i got them for $70.00. Right now they have a sale up to 50% off. They do have a heated vest but i don't think heated gloves. They also have rain suites more than 50% off.

·
Administrator
27,734 Posts
Some years ago I bought Cortech X16 Blitz Snow Gloves made for mountain snowmobiling. Not heated. They actually work pretty good. A little getting used to the slight loss of dexterity versus MC cold weather riding gloves. This will be the first winter where I am not doing any riding to speak of. Short rides. Mostly because of too much work travel. And often this season when I am home there is simply too much ice or its 25F and things change on a dime in the high Sierras. My house is just shy of 4900ft elevation and the community access road is seven degrees of steep fun when dry. Recently I would need Spiked Avons! In a winter like this in a place like this I think I would like heated everything most days and all nights!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts