RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys with my tranny fix coming up shortly, I said to myself....self....take advantage of the recall and do some motor mods.
So the question is...wot is the best way to go...HC Pistons or springs or cams ??? I don't want to do anything that might upset the cooling like boring etc as I do a lot of long distance trips in 90 degree heat, and I'd like to keep my fuel economy the same or better, and keep the motor reliable.
So can I have some suggestions, and the fors aand againsts of any mods

Currently have PCIII, V-BAK, Speedstar Pro Pipe.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
HC pistons a must during the recall. If you put in the cam then you need the springs. Cam may make it run a little rough at Idle. none should affect the reliability. The HC pistons will not affect the milage but the gas bill will go up because of the higher octane gas.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gunny MMMM do you need to run high octane gas ??? with the HC pistons ?? as some places I go its not available, only standard unleaded...and if so wot is the octane required

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You also need to explore parts availability. With the recall, parts are very scarce. Trust me on this one... Everything is backordered everywhere. OE and PR are the most reliable, Yamaha's parts tunnel is a joke. They are all at the mercy of their suppliers. It's nobody's fault. There is just a HUGE demand for parts cuz of the recall. I'm doing Pistons,Cams,valves,lifters,springs,pushrods and clutch on my own, in my garage. If I were you, I would try for the HC pistons and/or valves cuz they require the most engine breakdown. These mods would benefit the most from the tranny recall. The cams & clutch you can do yourself (if you've got some mechanical background & a full set of tools) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I aksed this before but got no answer..

Assuming I might swap cams later (during down season) I should go ahead and have springs installed during recall tear down, correct? What TYPE of springs? I'll have to call David at PR today and see if they have any. I'm not waiting on anything else, unless the HC's *still* aren't in today.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Parts are scarce dude. Not much out there without having to wait two months. Yamaha stuff will be more of a wait.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I'm getting the cams and pistons done. I've heard that the higher compression actually improves mileage. What about the cams? they have to be having a negative effect on mileage. Anybody out there with this setup got any feedback?
Wiz, as for higher octane gas, it is recomended, but if you had to you could run regular and try to be a little gentler with the throttle.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Wiz, they recommend you use 91 octane with HC pistons. In my opinion i would install HC pistons and oil coolers but that depends on the weather in your area. That should still keep your bike reliable for long rides.
Oh i forgot, maybe change your 5th gear that should help with gas mileage and give you more top speed.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Wiz, you should really read the "Total Recall" section too. I pondered on the same question about a month ago and found a bunch of good info in there. At first, I stayed away from that section of the forum because I wasn't ready for it mentaly [B)].

I went with PR HC pistons, Cams, Springs and pushrod tubes. Haven't got them yet but dt order the saem thing and he loves them!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Here's my .02.
1. At minimum do the pistons, it is a small uninvolved upgrade and can be your consolation to yourself for having to deal with the motor torn down. Rob has said that regular octane gas will work fine with 10.25:1 pistons, I have used it for a month with no problem, NEVER a ping, or higher temps, but that is my experience so far. Some members have been having all other types of problems and they contribute it to the low octane. $299 - 325 for parts The pistons will lower your mileage because you will find yourself playing with the throttle enjoying the better response.

2. If you have the extra approx $775, can get delivery of parts in time for your recall get the cam kit. Upgrade is a little more involved labor wise than pistons. As for the comment about the cams may make it run alittle rough at idle...I would not take that as a bad thing. My cams have changed the exhaust note a little but all for the better and I like it, it is not rough, just different.

3. Oil coolers? The whimmer set up is an additional $875, a nice luxury to have but you may not need it. I will eventually add a system but it is a LUXURY. Think of it this way, how many high end custom large cubic inch air cooled motors have an oil cooler installed. The Big Dog bikes are at least a 107 CI are warranted for two years and they don't have oil coolers. I can't remember seeing a Jesse James or OCC custom bike with oil coolers on them and they can get over $100,000.

Final choice will be how much $$ you can spare, delivery times of all parts to coinside with the recall timeframe, how much $$ your mechanic will charge for the additional work. Start by asking your mechanic first, some places will charge too much or not even want to. Whatever you choose to do, do it soon, don't wait or you will not be able to have anything done.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Your Warrior will run cooler with Standard Bore HC Piston's, so that is not an issue. It is when you bore out the cylinders to go larger does the heat start becoming an issue. Add performance cam, valves/spring and big bore you need to add the oil coolers. I run regular 87 octane gas with my HC and do not get any performance difference. No pinging, no knocking, no issue's.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i always run high test in my stock bore and compresssion bike is their any down our up side to this our am i just wasting money

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Order NOW either OE or Patrick parts if you would like them in a semi-timely manner. I hear the Yamaha parts are on quite a backorder. I went with Patrick HC pistons, cams, valve springs. My dealer charged me 4 xtra hrs for cams/valve springs. The cams come with new adjustable push rods, so I got the collapsible push rod covers in case they need adjusting. I run 91 octane 'cause they said so and bike runs great! I get better gas mileage with the new setup. Light comes on after 110 miles now regularly.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In summary
1. HC pistons a must
2. springs if you are ever going to do anything else
3. cams if you have the dough
4. whole **** speed star kit if you are rich and lusty for power!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
A standard Warrior should run on any decent standard pump gas, you don't need 91 octain. I would consider tuning it up a bit to get the mix right - if its not firing correctly it might be just running too rich/lean - have you got a PCIII?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did Speed* pistons, cams, valves, and clutch and the bike runs very strong. No negatives that I have seen so far. One thing to consider - the bike is well within its power band now when the rev limiter kicks in. It revs faster too, so I was bumping up against the limit way more often than I used to when I got the bike back. Speed* ECU raises the limit and changes the timing to account for the other performance parts. Without it you are missing out on some of the new found HP of the upgrades.

Definately do pistons. Springs if you are thinking about more down the road.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pistons and springs it is to start with, and as it has been said cams when I can afford it....On the topic of cams why are they so bloody expensive???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts