RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So the dreaded lifter chatter is here to stay, It has been getting worse over the last couple of months
I already ordered the millings replacement lifters. The front jug exhausted lifter has completely frozen up, So I'm just gonna replace all 4
I don't wanna replace just the lifters I'm thinking new factory cams to go with it. This is my 1st motorcycle that has had lifters or push rods. My question is has anybody just replaced the lifters and had success are am I going to have to spend 700 bucks on new cams?馃檮 Now if this were A V8 engine I would be doing a new Cam and lifters. I've read through the previous posts and could not find any information on this.
Thanks duane馃榿

Administrator
You'll want to measure the cams and lifters against the service manual drawings and dimensions. Also notice if the lifter bottom is marked or cupped (use a metal flat and gap feeler gauge or in a pinch for a guesstimate: shine a flashlight in a dark room).

You might first consider running a few miles with marvels mystery oil in the motor oil. Get it hot and get some minutes of higher rpm riding. If there is gunk inside the lifters this often lets it pump out.

Next step might be to adjust the valves to service manual spec and procedures.

These could all be done same time in sequence, then you cover the bases.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I already did the Marvel mystery oil, 100 miles worth of riding with no change. Next step will be to Pull the lifters out and take all the measurements.
I bought this bike with a little over 6000 miles it has 18 now I have change the oil every 3000 miles without fail and I'm using amsoil. It's just the one lifter it seems to be very very stuck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's definitely a lifter because this problem would come and go. But it's decided to stay and will not leave.

Administrator
I already did the Marvel mystery oil, 100 miles worth of riding with no change. Next step will be to Pull the lifters out and take all the measurements.
I bought this bike with a little over 6000 miles it has 18 now I have change the oil every 3000 miles without fail and I'm using amsoil. It's just the one lifter it seems to be very very stuck.
What oil filter do you use? I ask because if the filter has a bypass pressure valve that is too light then your motor's oil will run in bypass mode significantly more often, meaning the oil doesn't get filtered.

Amsoil is good for 6,000 miles in the Warrior if you have the right filter. I got a MOCAL (search it here) oil filter union/adapter so I can still run Bosch 3323 which has the same psi bypass as the Warrior's internal oil bypass valve, and matches the stock filter's psi too. Plus the Bosch is bigger and it is approved for dino and synthetic, and for extended mileage. When I change oil at 6,000+ miles it very often still feels un-gritty between my fingers and seems good-to-go for longer. But why risk it lol.

I only mention all of this to dig for the root cause of such an early lifter failure so the next set lasts longer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I used the bosh 3323 When I 1st got the bike in had a factory oil filter because the guy took it to the dealer for everything. After reading through all the posts on this Subject doesn't seem To be to abnormal.

Premium Member
Also you will see if the cam is wiped out and if in doubt you can measure them. There is a used set on ebay now as well. Sorry to hear this

Registered
Is this a common weakness with our Warriors that the lifters fail early and have a short lifespan...I mean to have to replace lifters every 20,000 miles or even much earlier as some members here have reported sounds like it should have been a factory recall as that sounds like a design fault. I have 18,000 miles on mine now so must I now live in fear and anticipation of my lifters failing very soon now?

Registered
So the dreaded lifter chatter is here to stay, It has been getting worse over the last couple of months
I already ordered the millings replacement lifters. The front jug exhausted lifter has completely frozen up, So I'm just gonna replace all 4
I don't wanna replace just the lifters I'm thinking new factory cams to go with it. This is my 1st motorcycle that has had lifters or push rods. My question is has anybody just replaced the lifters and had success are am I going to have to spend 700 bucks on new cams?馃檮 Now if this were A V8 engine I would be doing a new Cam and lifters. I've read through the previous posts and could not find any information on this.
Thanks duane馃榿
What does lifter chatter sound like? Where and when do you hear it most distinctly? How do you know your lifter has frozen up completely? What are the symptoms of a frozen lifter?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Lifters can sound anywhere from a ticking noise to a knocking. You'll know it if you have this problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I still have some gaskets on back order waiting For them to come in.
Soon is all my stuff gets here I will start on this Project.

Registered
You'll want to measure the cams and lifters against the service manual drawings and dimensions. Also notice if the lifter bottom is marked or cupped (use a metal flat and gap feeler gauge or in a pinch for a guesstimate: shine a flashlight in a dark room).

You might first consider running a few miles with marvels mystery oil in the motor oil. Get it hot and get some minutes of higher rpm riding. If there is gunk inside the lifters this often lets it pump out.

Next step might be to adjust the valves to service manual spec and procedures.

These could all be done same time in sequence, then you cover the bases.
Here we go with that Marvel Mystery Oil. I鈥檝e said it before that we can鈥檛 get it out here. I wish however we could. I鈥檝e tried looking for it on eBay, but had no luck. Anyway with Christmas coming quickly both Baldy and I can鈥檛 wait to get the Six White Boomers mod for the festive season馃槑馃槑馃悵

1 - 16 of 16 Posts