RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I inspected yesterday my throttle cable and I noticed that it is starting to come apart where you hook it into throttle handle.
So I decided to upgrade all my cables to stainless: clutch, throttle and front breaks.

For the front brakes, I plan to use 2 separate lines, no more T splitter. Please let me know if you recommend the same products, listed below.

Throttle - Barnett (106-90-30008 pull, 106-90-40008 push)
Clutch - Barnett (106-90-10008)
Front Brakes - Galfer (WARRIOR2LINE-F-BRAKE)

For Barnett, 106 means the shield color. 102 is the stainless steel look and 106 is the chrome look.
Scroll down at the bottom of this page to see the materials.

I tried to use logic related to measurements, but would like to confirm with you if the extra lenght I decided to pick is OK.
I need to know for Galfer what extra lenght do you recommend... I purchased the Carlini Super Sweeps 1.50" width 31.5" pullback 11.5" rise 9" from Pacific Coast Star. Should I add 4" (or more) to the current stock lenght?

Thanks for your help,

Floren

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
If using Barnett platinum series cables, which are the best IMO, then ask Barnett about platinum series front brake line 216-90-12007 for the '03 Warrior. That way the grain and style of the stainless will match exactly.

Part of fitting cables and lines to new bars is the 'art' of the situation. But from pure math:

Stock 2002-2003: 11-1/2" pullback, 34" wide, 6" rise

Supersweeps: 11-1/2" pullback, 31-1/2" wide, 9" rise

The rise is +3" but the width is -2.5" so maybehang some string to envision the path, but it should fit.

Remember one front line runs a little further if you select 2 separate lines.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My 06 has stainless throttle and clutch cables OEM. I have the Barons Radius bars which have a little less pull back than the Carlini's andthe stock cable length is fine. You might check with Yammi on the cables. Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the Barnett Platinum info. So what do I do guys, with the cables length?
Do I stick with stock length, +2, +4 inches? The Carlini sold at Pacific are pretty popular among forum users.

Arizona Warrior said:
Remember one front line runs a little further if you select 2 separate lines.
So I do need to add a +2 on one cable...
I was wondering what extra length (if any) for each cable type you would pick or recommend.
Personally, I don't mind if it's a little longer... it cannot affect that bad the performance.

Thanks for your help.

Floren

P.S. I'm linking some useful information posted by Alan.

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
Barnett cables use a special liner making the cable pull a LOT easier, plus the inner cable itself is stronger which is handy even on the stock clutch spring but its a bonafideno-brainer if you run the SR2 clutch spring.
youngja said:
My 06 has stainless throttle and clutch cables OEM. I have the Barons Radius bars which have a little less pull back than the Carlini's andthe stock cable length is fine. You might check with Yammi on the cables. Food for thought.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm considering this also...did you notice if any vendors would use a colored exterior liner so you could get your lines braided ss lines in color (like a smoked color)? and why would you use 2 lines for the front instead of goning back w/ 3 (like stock)?

Thanks,

Damon

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Damon,

You can order Barnett cables with the finishing of your choice (well, you have only 4 choices):

Look at Alan's bike, he used the black vinyl choice... sweet setup for a black bike. For myself, I'm more of a chromaniac...

One think is sure, I would not go with another brand, due to the outstanding cable quality. I read about some complaints from other warriors related to Galfer brake lines (discoloration under the plastic, spots like rust, etc.). When AW recommended me to use Barnett for brake lines also, I felt a lot better. I always thought Galfer is the standard for brake lines...

Related to the 3 line (+ T) setup, I preffer to go with a 2 line set because if one line fails you still have one
line/caliper working. With the 3 line setup, if one line fails... they
all fail, no front brakes. Also, the 2 line breaking is A LOT more responsive...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arizona Warrior said:
Barnett cables use a special liner making the cable pull a LOT easier, plus the inner cable itself is stronger which is handy even on the stock clutch spring but its a bonafideno-brainer if you run the SR2 clutch spring.
I will not install the Barnett SR-2, for now. My bike has only 6,000 miles.

Still. this is a very good tip for readers. If you ever order the SR-2 assy, the proper part is #511-90-10002. I'm pretty sure they are still selling in stores the old part that will start slipping after a while. Oliver explained into his blog that a 0.75MM shave will fix this issue. Why not buy the proper part that fixes the problem...

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey teck, even with the two line system, when one fails so will he other as they both stem from the single banjo bolt at the master cylinder. by the way u will need to change the banjo bolt to a longer one. and i wouldnt worry to much about failure, highly unlikely.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I switched over to SS back in '03. I went with +2" so that I could get more pull back when I changed out bars and risers. Have the 2 line on the front brakes and really like them. The 2 line system is a little less money than the 1 into 2. Think it looks better. and more efficient.

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
That's what you say now! Yea you will
you hot rod.

I have 10k on my original SR2 with zero clutch slip even when ridden hard and put away wet. The extra 3/4mm is great but I'm wondering if I'll ever need it. The assembly locks-up so tight with this spring, its got to be reducing friction material wear I guess.

If I was buying today, I'd search out the new part, although they ALL say only SR-2 on the part so its hard. BTW the Part#511-90-10002 is just a part# it doesn't differentiate between the original SR-2 design and the new SR-2 design that gives room for the friction material to wear that extra .75mm. If you hold them next to each other, then you can tell the difference.

TECK said:
I will not install the Barnett SR-2, for now. My bike has only 6,000 miles.
Still. this is a very good tip for readers. If you ever order the SR-2 assy, the proper part is #511-90-10002. I'm pretty sure they are still selling in stores the old part that will start slipping after a while. Oliver explained into his blog that a 0.75MM shave will fix this issue. Why not buy the proper part that fixes the problem...

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
sticky said:
hey teck, even with the two line system, when one fails so will he other as they both stem from the single banjo bolt at the master cylinder. by the way u will need to change the banjo bolt to a longer one. and i wouldnt worry to much about failure, highly unlikely.
+1

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sticky said:
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea about the banjo bolt. You know what part number I should get?
As I said before, I don't know what I would do without you guys...

·
Super Moderator
5,781 Posts
A friend of mine has that same set up and it does'nt look as good as the stock set up. 2 lines coming from the master cyclinder looks like a lot of clutter.The banjo bolt sticks out quite a bit. It just does'nt look that clean looking. This is just my opinion and my friends. He is changing them back to one line. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm, Guy... in a way you are right. I looked at other bikes and the 3 wires (2 brakes + 1 throttle) look a little cluttered.
I always thought that if you have 2 lines, one fails the other is safe. Not the case from what I read above.

Does Barnett have the 3 liners setup? I would really love to match everything on platinum series...

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
Yes. Here's the contact info its better to talk with them: http://www.barnettclutches.com/contact/

Barnett provides the Goodridge 3-line which is excellent quality. I understand platinum cover is available but you should verify. This3-linebrake line comes in 3 separate lines ready to connect (easy to do).

The line joint block mounts to the tree a little differently and some guys like to buy astainless bolt but you can swap that tree fastener later if you want. I forget the bolt torque, its not much, and use blue loctite 243.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info, Mike.

All I need left before I order everything is to know if +2" is a good size for my Carlini's...
As Mike posted earlier, technically the stock lenght should work just fine. However, from what I read... most mechanics recommend you to add an extra 2 inches for more flexibility and also to avoid tightness.

If you guys can confirm this, it will help me. Thanks for your support.

Floren

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
I've seen several posts to that effect. IMO it depends on how you want it to look. The only way to be sure is install the bars, run your existing lines and cables,and see how it looks. If you need more length to get better arc to follow the path you want, get longer. If you are not so concerned about theexact path and a bigger arc is okay and youjust want them to reach long enough thenget +1 or +2 lines.
Because the cable path is so close to stock (1.5" difference) and the cables/lines don't follow the bars across to the risers, they actualy goacross direct, I'll bet a lot of guys use stock lines with those bars. If you see what I mean, it probably doesn't really matter if the arc is a little 'bulgier' or not (but I don't have those bars).

One other thing. Look at your stock clutch cable at the lever and see how it has a metal tube guidinginto a looseright angle as it comes off the lever. Some bars benefit from that being straight instead. That's a tidbit I wish I'd realized in advance. You can tell Barnett to use anything you want, it just depends on the shape of your bars and the route you want the cable to take (which needs to approximate the path of the throttle and front brake lines for balance). Another good reason to mount the bars then order lines.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts