RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A plastic tube would work but the spring-end has a bend in it to press against the back of the brush, so flexible tube would not work and the stiff tube selected needs to be a big enough diameter to accommodate the bent spring end but small enough to fit in that small gap. It seems like tube would be harder to install and remove in the tight spaces but I have big hands.

These plastic caps capture the spring's end without damage and they allow full retraction of the brushes with no chance the spring will push it forward during reassembly, so I've just been doing that as my norm. Plus they can be snagged from any typical wheeled office chair or similar, and even put back on the chair when done if necessary. These caps are most common on office chairs with arms that bolt-on. (attached)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
clever prof...a bit of lateral thinking and a great pic set ...i've stolen the pic of course :)

i know nothing on this subject...not even enough to make me dangerous...but wizzy is an ex sparks so we will see what he knows

wizzy does know how to re-tighten a loose negative terminal on the battery that made the warrior stutter !!!

...................[i knew i'd get him back sooner than later] hahaha

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
Gentlemen what you need to hold back the wound spring should be based on your specific application. Something slightly wider than the brush holder and 3/4"-7/8" long approx. I used some scrap painted aluminum siding that i cut to size with a tin snips. Very simple task and 5/16"-3/8" wide.

My last rebuilt was fall '09' on a 87 TRX 350D Fourtrax Honda 4-brush starter as shown in the enclosed photos. I saved the old parts so went out in the barn to put some how to photos together.
Additional photos here: 87 TRX 350D Fourtrax

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
You do no need any super wazoo fixes/tools to hold the brushes up.

With long nose pliers or strong fingers rotate the brush spring to clear the top of the brush. Push the brush up so that a portion of it is above the top of the brush housing. Pull the business end of the brush spring up above the side of the brush & let it rest on the side of the brush holding it in place.

Never have had s problem with the above method, have rebuilt quite a few starters & generators.
Insure the commutator is clean & smooth, scrape the grooves between the commutator bars to insure definition between the bars.

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
"Never have had s problem with the above method, have rebuilt quite a few starters & generators.
Insure the commutator is clean & smooth, scrape the grooves between the commutator bars to insure definition between the bars."
  • ADDED: your methodology will work just fine with A&W's submittal example ;)
If you get the opportunity to rebuild a Honda Fourtrax starter as i did, with OEM brush set, you'll need to come up with a wazoo fix as your procedure won't work with this powersports starter but perhaps it will with the Warrior :) .... at that time i even elevated the wound spring assy on its mount to facilitate placing the hooked end to the side of the brush holder and fyi the back of the brush on this design only comes flush with the holder. The brush woven conductor is the constraint coming from the side and its closed side on the brush holder < added

For those of you that want to clean up the armature commutator, be sure NOT to use aluminum oxide sandpaper

·
Super Moderator
27,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Glad this conversation prompted other input!

Just from my perspective I've stopped using flat plates simply because I have big hands and the plates need to be cut small, then filed to avoid a sharp edge cutting the brush wire during install/reassembly/removal. Plus they get lost easily. A big thing was the round brush plate itself generally (to some extent) slips into the round starter housing, so if the little snipped plates overhang that circle then they get pushed aside during reassembly, meaning each of the next starter's brushes might need a different plate dimension. I think a lot of this was alluded-to by others earlier.

As we all know, powersports starters are small and have small bits. Sometimes its possible to move the spring onto the side of the brush holder but with these little springs I worry if the darn thing will somehow come loose just to piss me off.

I like the plastic caps because they are round and not sharp and don't overhang the circle so they don't get pushed aside and let loose the spring in tight spaces during re-assembly. Plus their shape captures the end of the spring in the same fashion as the spring's working position. BTW even the larger (pictured) caps allow the round brush-plate to slip adequately down into the round starter housing in most all cases. The big caps look like they overhang the circle, and they do, but the round shape provides a lot of clearance in most cases. Plus I have a set of 4 smaller caps too.

Wanna hear something funny? The first time I did this I put the caps back on the chair I swiped 'em from. Now I have a few caps in a real small clear zip-lock bag in a tool drawer. Every time I put 'em back I figure I'll never use 'em again, but time goes by and something comes up and there they are again.

Probably this is the kind of thing that we all do our own way 'just because' so I wonder if anyone else has a method they use just because they like to do it that way?!

·
Premium Member
8,349 Posts
I decided to put on my creative hat today before tossing the old parts because i don't own office furniture .... so if you ever run into a difficult rebuild per my OP a Dime or Canadian Nickle will work too!

It's not likely you'll ever run into a smaller starter brush set than shown here :D

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'm changing the brushes on an 05 starter and can't get the **** brushes to stay while fitting over the commutator.

None of the info above applies for the fitting of the new Warrior starter motor brushes as far as I can see. Totally different set up with the springs, plate screws and access.

Has anyone on the forum ever changed the brushes on a Warrior starter? if so, any advice or pictures out there would be much appreciated?

UPDATE...... done and dusted with some help from Heff..... thank's Heff :cool:

I'll post some pics later.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
I'm changing the brushes on an 05 starter and can't get the **** brushes to stay while fitting over the commutator.

None of the info above applies for the fitting of the new Warrior starter motor brushes as far as I can see. Totally different set up with the springs, plate screws and access.

Has anyone on the forum ever changed the brushes on a Warrior starter? if so, any advice or pictures out there would be much appreciated?

UPDATE...... done and dusted with some help from Heff..... thank's Heff :cool:

I'll post some pics later.

Thats alright big fella glad to help on the other side of the world. Its all easy now and you are now the northern expert, lol

Heff

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Here is what I used recently to hold the brushed back. pieces of 14 gauge copper wire WITH the insulation on them. I tried it with no insulation and they would slip out.

16 gauge probably would of been better but 12 gauge would be to big.

I also found it easiest to take the gear off the end of the shaft. That way I can then set the armature, I think it the right term, in the brushes and then slide the center housing, with magnets, on. Just be careful the magnets will pull that housing down at approximately 9 million MPH. Then just set the top plate on and bolt it together

Attachments

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Here is what I used recently to hold the brushed back. pieces of 14 gauge copper wire WITH the insulation on them. I tried it with no insulation and they would slip out.

16 gauge probably would of been better but 12 gauge would be to big.

I also found it easiest to take the gear off the end of the shaft. That way I can then set the armature, I think it the right term, in the brushes and then slide the center housing, with magnets, on. Just be careful the magnets will pull that housing down at approximately 9 million MPH. Then just set the top plate on and bolt it together
This look like a solution that would work for mine. I've got Joey's old starter in there for now and it works, but mine looks better.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If I have to do this someday, lots of great info!!! Love to see different ingenuity to get the job done!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts