RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I got these tires in the spring. I noticed these chips coming off of the back tire. they are Avon Storms, what do you think? Anyone seen this before? Should I go back to the dealer and get them to replace it?

Thanks, Brad.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
I would agree with garnerwarrior.....I have the storms too, love em, but I bottomed out a few times and got the same sort of 'cuts' in it. I ahve the RAM396 lowering kit, so I raised it a half turn and no more problems....

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I cut the extra length of the bolts havent had an issue since 18,000 miles 6 tires later
garnerwarrior said:
Looks like you are bottoming out are you? if so raise the rear! Sure looks like the fender bolts are cutting your tire

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are right, the inner marks are caused by the bolts. Great suggestion. But, the chips... i am sure that is not the fender or bolts, if it was, the chips would be on the other side of the tread groove.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
no.1bradbeer said:
I think you are right, the inner marks are caused by the bolts. Great suggestion. But, the chips... i am sure that is not the fender or bolts, if it was, the chips would be on the other side of the tread groove.

To make sure, just roll the tire and see if the chips line up with the bolts or any other structure inside your fender.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
no.1bradbeer said:
Hi guys, I got these tires in the spring. I noticed these chips coming off of the back tire. they are Avon Storms, what do you think? Anyone seen this before? Should I go back to the dealer and get them to replace it? Thanks, Brad.
I can guarantee you that you'rebottoming out on the leading edge of the inner fender very badly
... that's not from the seat tail hookor fender stay bolts and you can BANK ON IT!

Take alook underneath the fender and you might find the missing pc's
... the finger print from the collision will probablybe visible... this type of occurrence will eventually lead to a bent rear axle IMO

The Warrior rear suspension was designed to bottom out on the urethane stop bushing on the mono-shock and not the inner fender

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, you guys are right. I took off the pillion seat, put bolts in to fill the holes. Now i have cut them off. Hopefully that'll help. it will still bottom out, but the bolts are gone. Funny, the battleaxes never did that.

Thanks guys!!!
Brad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
****, it is hitting the inner fender.
This bike had been lowered when i got it. It is a pita. now what? 1000lb spring? or un-lower the beast? I assume the linkage was swapped out to lower it. where do i get stock linkage? The dealership I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
If you like the lowered look you can get adjustable links from "ram396". That wasy you can raise enough to clear but still have a lowered look. Another thing I'd do is adjust the preload on the susupension spring to a firmer setting. If it's already adjusted near max, get a Eibach 1000# spring.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You will have to take it out and check. If a "flip and grind" was done you can always just reverse it back, or if done with a kit, adjust it higher as stated earlier.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Right now as you have nothing to compare it too and if this is your first Warrior and you are not real familiar with what the stock suspension looks like just take a couple of pics of it and post them up here. Some of the more knowledgeable guys can tell what you have by their apearance and what you will need to put it back stock. And no sense in going to the dealer for the parts as I'm sure a lot of guys may just have the very parts you need collecting dust in their garage. It's worth a shot to try it.

Joe

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
no.1bradbeer said:
****, it is hitting the inner fender. This bike had been lowered when i got it. It is a pita. now what? 1000lb spring? or un-lower the beast? I assume the linkage was swapped out to lower it. where do i get stock linkage? The dealership I guess.
1st rule of thumb ..... never ever assume
... why don't you post a jpeg of your relay arm and i'm sure someone will chime in if the FNG (flip & grind) was performed.

I would suspect that there is an abundance of links (dog bones) and a fewrelay arms available from members here to bring you back to stock if req'd. A 1000# spring is no guarantee that this won't happen again!

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
The_Cadfather said:
Right now as you have nothing to compare it too and if this is your first Warrior and you are not real familiar with what the stock suspension looks like just take a couple of pics of it and post them up here. Some of the more knowledgeable guys can tell what you have by their apearance and what you will need to put it back stock. And no sense in going to the dealer for the parts as I'm sure a lot of guys may just have the very parts you need collecting dust in their garage. It's worth a shot to try it.

Joe

AlanH said:
no.1bradbeer said:
****, it is
hitting the inner fender. This bike had been lowered when i got it. It
is a pita. now what? 1000lb spring? or un-lower the beast? I assume the
linkage was swapped out to lower it. where do i get stock linkage? The
dealership I guess.
1st rule of thumb ..... never ever assume
... why don't you post a jpeg of your relay arm and i'm sure someone will chime in if the FNG (flip & grind) was performed.

I would suspect that there is an abundance of links (dog bones) and
a fewrelay arms available from members here to bring you back to stock
if req'd. A 1000# spring is no guarantee that this won't happen again!

Great minds, eh Alan? Well maybe yours but certainly not mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well.. here is a photo. I don't see any grind marks, so i assume it is a purchased kit or something. I would rather leave it lowered, i like the look. I'm leaning toward the spring.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
no.1bradbeer said:
Well.. here is a photo. I don't see any grind marks, so i assume it is a purchased kit or something. I would rather leave it lowered, i like the look. I'm leaning toward the spring.
That's the stock Warrior OEM relay arm untouched.

If your ride is lowered, most likely it's accomplished with PCS lowering links ....here's a link to some photos of my ride that might help identify them. Stock links are aluminum colorpaint '02~03' and black '04' & >

Stretched Links: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602604621489/detail/

Note: FYI, the links in the thread are from an '03' Warrior and were stretched 3/16" for my '04' bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks AlanH, it looks to me like you added a spring too. How is that working for you? i weigh about 240lbs. do you recommend the 1000lb spring?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
no.1bradbeer said:
Thanks AlanH, it looks to me like you added a spring too. How is that working for you? i weigh about 240lbs. do you recommend the 1000lb spring? Thanks, Brad
... the Eibach 1000# spring will compliment the lowered suspension but as i stated earlier, it doesn't guarantee that it won't happen again. If you're running a stock rear tire it's less likely to reoccur with the heavier springIMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts