RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
If not mistaken there was a conversation about this topic last year where someone was using a system that had connectivity to his cell phone and could read the tire pressures from his phone. Try a search on monitoring systems or tire monitors or a few variations and you should be able to come up with it.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Some time ago someone had a issue with something similar , and as he was riding it failed , and let out all the air while riding which is dangerous n not good...

I stick to the old fashioned way..

Good luck

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
I broke down and bought one so will install it and report to the forum.
will be interesting to see what you got and how it works. Personally io have never heard of a system letting the air out of a tire on a bike or a car. I know that on cars the posted air pressures are not necessarily 100% accurate however for someone who does not have easy access to a compressor the TPMS system can be a good indicator if the tires need to be adjusted or not.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I use a simple bicycle air pump to put air in the warriors tire's
Well actually use it for all my bikes...

Way easier n simpler than dragging out a compressor

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A quick initial report. I ended up buying the Mercu wireless motorcycle TPMS off amazon: Amazon.com: Mercu Wireless Digital Motorcycle Tire Pressure Gauge Monitoring System, Waterproof TPMS Digital LCD Display,Tire Pressure Gauge Monitoring System 2 Sensors for Motorcycle: Automotive
The reason I chose this unit (as opposed to some of the other systems that you can use with your iphone) is that you see a continuous reading of your tire pressure and temperature as you ride in real time (or slightly delayed). I have it mounted on my bars, it is small and relatively unobtrusive visually, mounted right next to the brake reservoir. Installation was super easy. Initial display setup should have been 5 minutes but took me about 25 minutes, mostly because the manual is pretty basic (or perhaps I am not very smart). After two all-day rides, I am so far very happy with the Mercu - does exactly what is supposed to do, the display is bright and visible even in full sunlight. Will see how it holds up on longer use.

I also looked at the cyclops unit CIL-TPMS1-Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System which is similar and comes with great reviews but is more expensive and requires wiring to the bike (which I did't want to mess with).

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
A quick initial report. I ended up buying the Mercu wireless motorcycle TPMS off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXD2VF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The reason I chose this unit (as opposed to some of the other systems that you can use with your iphone) is that you see a continuous reading of your tire pressure and temperature as you ride in real time (or slightly delayed). I have it mounted on my bars, it is small and relatively unobtrusive visually, mounted right next to the break reservoir. Installation is super easy. Initial display setup should have been 5 minutes but took me about 25 minutes, mostly because the manual is pretty basic (or perhaps I am not very smart). After two all-day rides, I am so far very happy with the Mercu - does exactly what is supposed to do, the display is bright and visible even in full sunlight. Will see how it holds up on longer use.

I also looked at the cyclops unit CIL-TPMS1-Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System which is similar and comes with great reviews but is more expensive and requires wiring to the bike (which I did't want to mess with).
How accurate are the tire pressure readings? did you compare the readings on your monitor to the actual readings with a gauge?
It will also be interesting to see how long it goes without having to recharge your battery.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but why would you need a tool like that ? If you keep an eye on your tyres you can tell or even feel whilst riding if a tyre is losing pressure. If you were to get a blow out you would not need to look at the gauge. As I said in old school lol.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I completely agree with Sryder ..
When my tires are low in air in can tell the difference in the handling...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How accurate are the tire pressure readings? did you compare the readings on your monitor to the actual readings with a gauge?
It will also be interesting to see how long it goes without having to recharge your battery.
I did check accuracy - it's not perfect but is within 1-2 psi of my good gauge.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Call me old fashioned, but why would you need a tool like that ? If you keep an eye on your tyres you can tell or even feel whilst riding if a tyre is losing pressure. If you were to get a blow out you would not need to look at the gauge. As I said in old school lol.
Maybe you guys can but I don't think I can feel the difference between, say, 36 and 30 psi. Perhaps I am not as good a rider. Obviously, I have managed to ride without a TPMS for 20 years, so I won't say I absolutely need it, but it's nice to have that data about my tires, so I can see if a slow leak is developing and so I don't have to check the pressure manually every time I start a ride.

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
On
On some setups especially those who have gone bagger it is very hard to get to the rear tire valve to check the pressure regularly and as such people check the pressure less frequently than they should. I know this is true on my streetglide and as such a tpms system would help with respect to safety

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey Zim, it doesn’t say your a bad rider geez. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one. Whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Zim, it doesn’t say your a bad rider geez. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one. Whatever floats your boat.
No worries, I wasn't being defensive, I just really don't think I am capable of distinguishing tire pressures at this level of detail.

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
After each time you add air to tires some oxygen atoms escape. The nitrogen cannot escape. Usually adding air one or two times is adequate to raise the nitrogen content, after which any loss of pressure signals a leak. That often goes flat enough overnight to see. I literally kick the tires or knock my knuckle against the tread center. With these sport tires it should feel hard as a rock and have that sound you get used to hearing. This sport bike tire hardness is why air loss is easier to feel. But I can see a use for TPMS while out on the open road as long as the system illuminates a light and is hard wired not battery (except the sensors of course). I'm guessing the weight of these sensors requires more balancing weight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts