RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I am putting new Avon 3D XM Storms on tomorrow and was just curious what air pressure people are running. I run stock size front and rear. The manual says 36 front 36 rear for aggressive riding. I usually ride that way but have been running 36 and 40. I found my rear was wearing in the middle too much so might try lowering. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I do 34 front. 35 rear. I always do -1 from the pressure in the rear.
Habit from aggressive track riding in the past when tire pressures were important to my riding. I might as well let out all the air in these tires since I carry it around more than I drive it at the moment!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey folks. I am putting new Avon 3D XM Storms on tomorrow and was just curious what air pressure people are running. I run stock size front and rear. The manual says 36 front 36 rear for aggressive riding. I usually ride that way but have been running 36 and 40. I found my rear was wearing in the middle too much so might try lowering. Any input is appreciated.
Per an email i recieved direct from Avon they said our tire pressures should be 36psi front and 42psi rear cold with the Avon tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Unfortunately, our bikes will NEVER wear a rear tire evenly unless we spend all day at the track. Ive always averaged about 6k miles to a set of tires with the front looking like it could go another 500 or so and the rear showing cord. My chicken strips have rubbed off the top of the script at the shoulder/sidewall transition and the outer edges still have life but the center is shot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was going to add that I run 42 in the rear as the tire states. but about 36 to 38 in the front to ease up the smaller bumps.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Way to go @2NDWFE excellent initiative!

Avon has it right IMHO but just for clarity . . .

The Yamaha tire air pressure spec for the Warrior is based on the conventional tires provided back in the day (dual-compound came later). The service manuals and the owners manuals for 2002 2003 2006 2007 (all I have) show:

Front
36psi in all cases.

Rear
0 to 198 pounds is 36psi
198 to 408 pounds is 42psi
Exception: high speed riding is 36psi

I keep 42psi in my rear Avon dual-compound tire which is the most common rider+cargo match. The tire doesn't grow much (if at all) at high rotation speeds and lean angle forces have no apparent effect. So I've had zero issues at high speeds and zero issues over time from high speeds. And my rear suspension is lowered and stiffened for good mountain feedback.

In all fairness, in the early days (before dual-compound) I wore-thru rear tires playing WOT jfthoi just like everyone lol. I don't think those tires would have grown with speed either, and I expect mere speed with 42psi rear would not have reduced their life expectancy. But I have no way to know because I was hard on rear tires back then. Flat center tread was the real trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately, our bikes will NEVER wear a rear tire evenly unless we spend all day at the track. Ive always averaged about 6k miles to a set of tires with the front looking like it could go another 500 or so and the rear showing cord. My chicken strips have rubbed off the top of the script at the shoulder/sidewall transition and the outer edges still have life but the center is shot.
I've put about 150K on my two Warriors (02 and 04). Up until the Avon 3D XM Storms my experience was similar to what you reported (6K and the rear was done in the center). But the results are very different with the Avon 3D XM Storms. I've gotten 9K+ out of the rear with my last two tires. The shoulder sidewall was still good and as usual the center strip had greater wear ... but an extra 3K is very significant. 36F and 42R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts