RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put some new rubber on the ride.

I'm thinking of going with the Metzeler ME880 210/50ZR-17 on the rear. I've got stock rims, and I know others have done this, but I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to doing this? Does the tire roll more than a 200 does? Has anyone had any problems with air leaks or blow outs?

Secondly, I'm wondering if anyone has, on a stock rim,put a ME880 130/70-18 up front? Or a 120/90-18? Any feedback on this?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mate, I installed a Metzeler ME880 210/50ZR-17 on the rear3 weeks ago and have roughly 1k on it. Not bad in rain, good overall. Can't say anything yet on milage. It's the first Metzeler I am trying out and have not used it hard in corners (yet). What the diameter concerns, well with the same aspect ratio like the stock 200 it must be slightly bigger (in theory 5mm in radius) but not noticeable. However, the10mm increase in width is clearly visible.
I was also thinking about the 130, but could not get one here. If I’m you, go for the ME880 130/60-18, lowers the bike a tiny bit and looks fatter.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The 210 on back is awsome. Looks great and handles perfectly. I ride hard into corners and never felt unstable or loose. The major drawback is you will need to change your rear tire every oil change or so. 3 to 4 thousand miles is average tread life.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
While I can't recommend a tire for the stock rim because I immediately went to the 240 when I purchased the bike, I have read several comments about the Metz 210 wearing out prematurely and it amy be because the rim isn't quite wide enough to accommodate the fatter tire. There have been several guys here who really like the Avons.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went thru a set of Avon Storms. I got 6000+ miles out of the rear (no burn-outs), and the front looks like it would be good for a couple more. Does a 200 Metz wear out as quickly? I would really like to see a little more meatout back, but that kind of mileage gets expensive quick: two rear tires a season!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
the only draw back to going with the 210 is the fact that they simply dont last, probably due to a softer compound and of course the narrow rear wheel causes it to run on the crown more thereby wearing the center prematurely, if you dont mind having to buy a new one every 3000-4000 miles then i say go for it, it does look better than the 200 imho

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,724 Posts
Here's an interesting post: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/48415.aspx

As for front tires:

Tires - OEM PSI: Front: 36 Rear: 42 (assumes normal load)
Tires - Front - OEM Size: 120/70ZR18
Tires - Front - Pinch Bolt under plastic fork guard to remove front axle.
Tires - Front - Avon Cobra AV71: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/112226.aspx
Tires - Front - Fat: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/12662.aspx
Tires - Front - Fat: http://rswarrior.com/photos/bugei/default.aspx
Tires - Front - Fat: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/3445.aspx

Misc Stuff from 'Popular Mods' post in the Technical section:

Tires - Comparison: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/48781.aspx
Tires - Comparison: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/48415.aspx

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I run with the Metzeler ME880 210/50ZR-17.I do run my bike hard both in the twistes and stop light to stop light drags. It's a very good tire......It would be a Great tire if it would last longer but it is hard to have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I tried a Metzler 210, nice handling tire and looks good but got only 2700 miles and cords were showing. The stock Bridgestone went 6500 miles and an Avon storm went 6000+ I am sticking with the Avons, I like the way they feel/handle and wear.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
BOSSMAN2677 said:
Will a 130/70-18 fit on a stock Front end w/ stock fender??
yes it will fit but it will be tight. There are reports where members who have done it sometimes get rocks or gravel stuck in the tread and can hear scraping on the inside of the fender. You can always take off the front fender and drill the mounting holes to an elongated shaped hole and turn it into an adjustable height fender to suit different size tires....

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
BOSSMAN2677 said:
mdf- thank you, I am close to needing a new front, and would love a fatter tire without changing the FE. Good idea on the fender
no prob - I have an R1 front fender that was made for a 17" wheel and managed to fit the 130/70/18 VenomR by fabbing some adaptor brackets so anything is possible. Another thing to keep in mind - not sure if you have your front lowered, but watch out for the front triple tree bottoming out on top of the fender if your front is lowered AND you happen to raise the fender too much....I have never had that problem since I have the stiffer R1 forks on mine...

Hey Bossman, send me a high res pic of your avatar would ya? TIA! [email protected]

Blue - technically a front tire/wheel with an overall larger diameter would roll with relatively more straight line and high speed stability than a smaller overall diameter front wheel. With that said, the front wheel/tire with the smaller overall diameter will have relatively easier turn in.

A wider front tire has a relatively larger contact patch and thus tracks relatively better when matched with a wide rear tire. For example, a bike with a 300 rear and a 100 front will have a tendency for the rear to push the front around curves.

With all that said, the difference is very little (aside from looks) when we are talking about the two sizes 130 vs 120...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds to me like the tires I've got (Avon Storms) are the best for all around performance and mileage. Cost is acceptable too.

I just checked out the Avon Cobras, and they sound really cool. I might have to check them out. I love Metzeler tires, but that premature wear on the 210 is driving me away.

I think that my next pair may be the Cobras. I'll do the change over the winter months, when the beast is hybernating...Iwill have my wheels powdercoated black at the same time...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just read the Avon website, and found this out:

The Cobra is a V rated (149 mph max) rear (200/55R-17) and ONLY an H rated (130 mph max) front (130/70R-18). I don't want my front tire blowing when I decide to ride like an A*@HOLEagain.

The Storm is a W rated (168 mph max) rear (200/50ZR-17) AND a W rated (168 mph max) front (120/70ZR-18). The Storm also changes shape thru leans for the life of the tire, for more contact and stability. It wears very well (I've got 6,450 miles on the rear with a little hint of the center grooves left and the front still looks good), is quiet, looks good, sticks very well through deep turns, and tracks well on the interstate.

I think that I'll stay with what I've got!!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have been pricingfront tires from the different retailers. Sometimes, the size that im looking for, is listed as a rear tire. Would that work on the front? Is there a difference between front and rear? other than size.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Justice said:
Sounds to me like the tires I've got (Avon Storms) are the best for all around performance and mileage. Cost is acceptable too.

I just checked out the Avon Cobras, and they sound really cool. I might have to check them out. I love Metzeler tires, but that premature wear on the 210 is driving me away.

I think that my next pair may be the Cobras. I'll do the change over the winter months, when the beast is hybernating...Iwill have my wheels powdercoated black at the same time...
I've got a Cobra on the rear of my bike and unless they quit making it I will run nothing else. It is the best wearing tire I've ever used. I have about 1700 miles so far and the wear pattern is consistent all the way around the profile of the tire. I really cant tell that its worn at all but I know it has.I had the Metz 210 before this tire and got about 2500 miles out of it. As far as handleing I've never had it get loose with me but I tend to ride like a sane person in curves (went down once and dont want to do it again). I do ride alot on the interstate any where from 70 to 85 mph and the tire feels great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts