RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm posting this from the MSSS discounts forum by request:

------------------ http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/119758/976816.aspx#976816-----------------

arizonawarrior said:
Bill, Scott, Barry . . .

The Dynatek DC2-1 coil setfor the Warrior - are they 6v or 12v? (see the interesting footnote in my post 10-30-08 below!)

The price includes both coils, right?(yes)

Thanks Scott!

----------------

rolltideroll said:
We called Dynatek to be on the safe side& they said it was 12V.

Ignore the 'double-up and ground one' remarks. The sportbike section is sorta 4-cylinder territory. The Warrior got the R1 type ignition and electronicsincluding coils. But we only have two cylinders, two plugs per. So the DC2-1 is a kit that happens to have in it what we need for our V2. Two matchingtwin-output coils of the proper primary resistance value.

TECK said:
Thanks for the info on Dyna coils. I think they are 6V each, connected in series for each cylinder for a total of 12V. **********or any other site shows them as 6V coils also.

I was on with Dynatek early this AM while 'multitasking' as usual.When they says it a 12v coilwhat they mean is its fine for 12-volt applications, but it is indeed a 6v design.As you know the coil's voltage doesn't matter too much. 6v isodd today so I checked it out. A tech at Dynateksaid these built with all moderncomponents, and were originally designed for 6v cars and bikes.He thought this is the only 6v design they have left, I didn't hunt around. Again, it works perfectly in our 12v application. This coilis going to take what its given and output whatever its design dictates, in this case http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/coils/ .

Remember to ignore the'buy two' on the MSS (and other) websites, they are talking about 4-cylinder sport bikes:

http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com/eshopprod_cat_4128-19111-28416_product_498275_keyword_DC2-1.DYNATEK_DYNA_COILS.htm

Next I need 8mm automotive resistance wire, coil ends and boots, and plug ends and boots.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
If you haven't already ordered them I can help you out with the coils. The coils that most places are selling are 2.2 ohm or 2.5 ohm. Which is actually set up for a Road star not the Warrior. Our bike (in racing condition) is better set for 1.5 ohm. So the question comes up that, " my bike is not set for racing" it wouldn't matter. The lower ohm's will still give you more volts for your buck, should be around 40k volts. Magnacore makes plug wires to match these coils also. The wires are not cheap but they are hand made and guaranteed plus they are low ohm also. Heavy shielded and 8.8 core.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any chance on a link to the plug wires? Do they work better than the stock plug boot with silicone wires and new coil boots?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
imevh2 said:
Any chance on a link to the plug wires?   Do they work better than the stock plug boot with silicone wires and new coil boots?
I have a number but will ask before I would post it. I dont want to step on anyones toes. The wires themselves are very thick and you do have to put a threaded nipple on the plug end. With a high voltage coil and high voltage wires you have to increase the gap of your plugs slightly.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks buddy. I ordered the coils from Bill at MSSS. I'll get the wires after the coils are installed so I can visualize the wire path I want under the tank.

independent_lemming said:
If you haven't already ordered them I can help you out with the coils. (~) Magnacore makes plug wires to match these coils also. The wires are not cheap but they are hand made and guaranteed plus they are low ohm also. Heavy shielded and 8.8 core.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Whats the pros and cons in changing coils. Any downside? Also, will they fit in the coil relocation plate under the tank (Akitadogs)? I'm just asking because now is the time for me to do it. Thanks.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have yet to read a down-side post and can't see why there would be a down side. More powerful coilsare helpful.

I'm going to test-fit my coils into my Akitadog Plate when they arrive because I understand I'll need to file the openings a little to clear these larger coils. I'm going to make sure there is plenty of clearance around the wire connections too.

You'll also want to get 8mm suppression plug wires with the right ends and boots. A quick search will find plenty ofink on that. I haven't bought the wires yet but plan to custom-fit for length.

Ruckus said:
Whats the pros and cons in changing coils. Any downside? Also, will they fit in the coil relocation plate under the tank (Akitadogs)? I'm just asking because now is the time for me to do it. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts