RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I currently own a 2005 Yamaha Road Star Midnight Warrior . I recently took a fall in first gear while doing a u turn at my home (fell on my left side). Luckily I have engine guards installed which got slightly bent. It was able to protect most of the bike except maybe the shifter lever (hopefully just that).

When I lifted it up, I wasn’t able to engage in neutral so I moved with first gear to a safe location a few feet away. I turned off the bike to cool my head for a bit and tried to see if I could put it back in neutral. I was about to put it into neutral but then it would not go back into first but was able to go to the other gears.

I walked away for a bit and came back and turned the bike back on and tried shifting into first. I had no luck so tried checking if all the other gears would engage and they did. But now I cannot downshift from whatever gear it is in currently (no gear indicator, I am only able to shift up once). Any ideas how I can fix this? I am praying it is not a transmission issue. Can also provide pictures

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Post some pics of the damage and of the shift lever n shift linkage....

One could be the best shift lever and its binding on the shift linkage and causing the issue that u mentioned....

I would start there. .

It's not gonna be a transmission issue

Cause the warrior doesn't have a transmission....

The warrior uses a Transfer case...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Squeeze up and hold the clutch and roll the motorcycle back or forward a couple of meters(rear wheel need some rotation). If you cannot change gears, roll a couple more meters in the same direction. You do not need to start the engine. Try shifting gears again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the help DB, as you can see my knowledge of motorcycles is not great. (Freeeezzzz) A friend also suggested I roll the bike a bit to see if that would help and I was able to shift through the gears but it would get stuck again (this was with it on). I just tried it when it was off and I could shift while rolling; sometimes it would get stuck but when I start to roll it, I hear a click sound as if its going into gear.

Here are some pictures (engine guard is bent for perspective)

imgur.com/a/IbOLN2b

Unfortunately its my first post since I mostly lurk here and just recently acquired this motorcycle so I can't link.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
May be or sound dumb but Have you tried with the bike running?(Edit,I see you had it on)
I don't see anything bent so it's weird.
Maybe the shifter pushed up so hard that the shift shaft assembly got bent. But that's inside the clutch cover.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I dont really see anything out of the ordinary or anything bent....

Is it making any weird noises while its on?
Or when ur trying to shift gears?.?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Where u located @ ?.?.?
Never knw u might have a warrior member close by the can maybe help?.?

I see that u have the California emissions canister

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there some kind of spring return once you shifted?
I had this problem on my ZX9R and there is a spring that's gets the shifter back in a nuturall position before you can shift again.
Bare in mind... I'm new to the warrior. :)

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
According to the pictures I thin the axle is slightly bent and having a hard time rotating in the bunching.
If that's the case... Dismantle it an see if its bent, or just try with to grease it with some oil and see if it works the same.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in San Jose

Thanks for posting the pics for me rij1
There is actually a weird noise when I rev the engine, starts to appear around 2kish or with enough vibration?

I uploaded a video from my phone on youtube, sorry I can't directly link again

youtube.com/watch?v=bPZQDidsqbE
sound appears at 0:14

Will check that location out Pecman.

Thank you guys for all your help!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I'm in San Jose

Thanks for posting the pics for me rij1
There is actually a weird noise when I rev the engine, starts to appear around 2kish or with enough vibration?

I uploaded a video from my phone on youtube, sorry I can't directly link again

youtube.com/watch?v=bPZQDidsqbE
sound appears at 0:14

Will check that location out Pecman.

Thank you guys for all your help!
Sounds like something is bent as I mentioned earlier.
That rattle sound may go away if you pull the clutch lever as it kinda sounds like it's about to go into gear or if it's dragging a gear a bit.

·
Administrator
28,413 Posts
What he (earlier) meant to say was the Warrior's transmission is integrated into the motor. The cross shaft travels from the foot pedal to the motor side case where the transmission gears and dogs etc live. When the bike fell over it may have jarred the foot rest where the shifter lives. It could have moved something out of alignment. Or it could have pushed the transmission shift shaft 'in' at the motor side cover. Plus it could have rotated the connecting link points, like at the motor housing or on the foot rest shift linkage.

If it were me I would document in pics before and during disassembly. I would also investigate the handlebar clutch lever and cables and the push/pull lever on the motor clutch case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys just wanted to say thanks again for all the help, its very much appreciated! I unfortunately have to head to work so I am going to look at what Pecman said, investigate the stuff arizonawarrior has said to look at and then that encircled portion on the diagram rij1 has posted (going to see if I can get a friend to help out) over the next few days / weekend when I am not at work

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had some issues a few years ago when something fell on the bike over the winter in storage. When I initially looked things over, nothing appeared to be damaged, when I started it up in the spring I had a horrible time trying to shift it up/down and couldn't find N to save my life. I thought something major was wrong but fiddled with the clutch adjustments on the handlebars instead as they were a bit loose, that fixed everything and haven't had an issue since. Maybe give that a look and make sure your clutch is adjusted properly at the handlebars as that's also on the left side and could've gotten jostled. I'm all about looking at the easiest thing to fix first!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info Zmann, same I start with the easy stuff first! I will pay close attention to the clutch adjustments.

I'm trying to wait on looking at the shift shaft since it looks like I have to drain the engine oil according the service manual (page 370/371)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I'm trying to wait on looking at the shift shaft since it looks like I have to drain the engine oil according the service manual (page 370/371)
Not necessarily. You can lean the bike over to t he right against something strong and oil won't drain out much at all. But you may need a gasket and if you have to remove the old one it may take some time.
If you have to open the clutch cover and to have more of a purpose I would look into the Barnett pressure plate and Or the 2 or 3 full friction plate mod.

How far did your shift lever move into the bike when it bent?
I'm not sure as the angle of the pic but maybe th he shift linkage is hitting the emissions canister and not allowing to drop into 1st?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts