RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be entertaining for some of you.

Fire up of a Top Fuel Harley (one of the few with supercharger) running 85% nitro. Second throttle hit breaks the drive belt between the crank and clutch pulley.

Think about that. A throttle whack breaks the kevlar belt! If you listen close you can hear the shut down starts to freewheel as opposed to mellow out. The fuel pump is spun off the driven hub since this engine uses two FIE Mags off the right side.

https://youtu.be/VvLNTWTKVys

Evidence of foreign matter was found on the driven pulley contributing to the failure.

It's the 3 inch wide inner belt that snapped. In the wider angle left side shot the belt is inboard and fresh - as installed over the winter. Disregarding the cost of fuel and wear and tear on the other components, that fire up cost $350.

Top Fuel is amazing. I figured some of you guys might appreciate this and maybe even cringe a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nasty little ride.

Wonder if that is running on BDL Aluminum pulleys.
I had almost nothing to do with the pulleys, but I can ask the owner. Just sped the blower up a bit a week ago. Pulleys galore.

Now it makes about 10 psi boost unloaded at the throttle hit. That's what he was looking for. It will obviously be more a few down track under load with fuel to seal the rotors.

Gates rep is sending carbon belts this time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe they need a floor under that bad boy to keep debris out of the belt. Shade-tree wrenching is fun but not always cheap all things considered. Just guessing a pebble could zap the belt and the pulley.

I think that must be a fun nine second ride.
Fire ups are better at the track, but time limitations demanded a behind the shop test. And it's true, a rock would kill the belt at that power/tension/rpm level.

My Busa runs in the 9's at 147 to 148. This thing should run mid 6 seconds at around 220 mph when it's complete. However, that will require the 1000 remaining variables are tweaked. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts