RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for a torque wrench that measures the smaller amounts of torque. Mainly looking for a wrench that measures the 5-25 lb range. Ideally, it will be thin enough to fit into tight spaces with a socket attached.
Most of the Sears stuff ranges from 10-100. I've always understood that torque wrenches were not particularly accurate at the extreme of their ranges so I'm looking for one in the lower range. Equally, not interested in spending $500 for a snap-on/McMaster-Carr manufacturing quality wrench.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I know Kamasa Tools have a range of high quality torque wrenches, the smallest being 5-25 Nm (3.5-18 ftlbs). I have the next size, 19-110 Nm (14-81 ftlbs), which covers most applications on a motorbike. I have no idea if these are available in the states though, and what they might cost. Here in Sweden I paid about $100 for mine (which is a little pricey, but not too bad for a quality tool).

Here's a link to the english language page of the swedish distributor;

http://www.kamasa.com/english/Default_e.htm

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Among my various torque wrenches, I have a beam type and a micrometer-adjusting ratcheting type that measure torque both in inch-pounds and newton-meters. Using newton-meters instead of foot-pounds or inch pounds gives me a common measurement system that operates across ALL six of my torque wrenches (thank you metric system!), from the very smallest to the very largest.

You should be able to find such wrenches in 3/8" drive at Sears and many other places, measuring from like 25 to 250 inch-pounds.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Try Harbor Freight. I got a micro adjusting inch pounder a couple of months ago for about 30bux. It has a ratchet head so its as large as a 3/8 drive ratchet with a long handle.

Its rather accurate, checked it against my inch pound beam wrench.

The beam type torque wrenches have a narrow head but no ratchet feature & are normally cheaper than "clickers".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try Harbor Freight. I got a micro adjusting inch pounder a couple of months ago for about 30bux. It has a ratchet head so its as large as a 3/8 drive ratchet with a long handle.

Its rather accurate, checked it against my inch pound beam wrench.

The beam type torque wrenches have a narrow head but no ratchet feature & are normally cheaper than "clickers".
@church you like the harbor freight for torque wrenches ??
I am looking for one to work on my warrior ...stator cover ...clutch cover ...spark plugs etc.....I was willing to bend over to the Mac or snap on truck ....I been searching online also so many brands and models tough to make a decision.
In the end I just wanna take out the guess work .
So to bring up a old thread ...what is a good affordable torque wrench? Hahaha

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I use harbor freight torque wrenches they work fine for me. I build small engines for my minibikes and use them for torquing the piston rods, heads, side covers, etc. I believe they have a 4% tolerance on their accuracy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,549 Posts
Old thread indeed!

I'm with @Churchkey on this. Harbor Freight has come a long way in delivering good enough quality tools at a good price. As has already been mentioned, you want to stay away from the limits of these to ensure accuracy. I do my best to stay in the center 60% - 70% range. Also prevents damage.

Here's the one I use for low value torques (20-200 in. lbs):

Here's the one I use for medium values (5-80 ft. lbs):

And here's the one I use for the larger values (20-150 ft. lbs):

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
I have a couple of older proto torque wrenches purchased used pretty cheap. I sent them to be calibrated here locally and they were pretty close just some tweaking. I think it was like $20 each to be calibrated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts