RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posed the question of why custom PC maps for the same mods behave differently across bikes. Once again I turned to the sevice manual and looked at this diagram:

The throttle position has a direct relationship to the intake air volume and the degree of openig of throttle as discussed in the service manual, and thus affects the basic injection duration. It seems logical that the variability in TPS calibration could account for some of the variation in performance across bikes.

I turned on the bike in diagnostic mode and code 01 indicated a closed TP value of 17 for closed and 92 for fully open reference values per manual are:
0 ~ 125 degrees

Fully closed position (15 ~ 20)
Fully open position (95 ~ 100)

I decided to check the calibration of my TPS since it was replaced per the recall a few years back. For the complete instruction on adjusting the TPS please read service manual pagers 7-64 thru 7-67. The maximum resistance, across the blue and black was 5.5K ohms (reference 4-6K ohms) and resistance across yellow and black was 850 ohms (reference 520-900 ohms). As soon as I find the proper star socket (it's not your typical star bolt) I will try to adjust my TPS to see how it effects my custom map).

I am curious as to what calibration values others have for the TPS and what TP values the ECU indicates for those calibrations. OK, so everyone go break out your pocket voltmeter.

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
How are you doing RX?

I think there's a number of existing posts discussing measured TPS values, and at least one mentions testing temperature (as does the manual).

[added] Service Manual 7-65
NOTE:
Check mainly that the resistance changes
gradually when turning the throttle, since the
readings (from closed to wide-open throttle)

may differ slightly from those specified.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you doing RX?
Thanks for asking AW, been kinda out of the game for a while, my 4 month old boy is keeping me QUITE busy these days. Most of the threads I searched discuss TP as it pertains to PC maps. I will search more as time permits.

I got a funny story to tell you. So the hoses you sent me, came thru the mail and I guess I wasn't home for a few days and my wife had it sitting on the kitchen counter unopened. when I got back, she asked me why the kitchen smells like motor oil and burned gasoline. At first I wasn't sure where the smell was coming from and then I saw the package and started laughing. My wife was giving me a funny look when I told her that someone from the forum had mailed me a couple of used motorcycle hoses. She was like: "get that stinking crap out of my kitchen".....hahahhahahhah....lol....anyways, it turned out OK, the bar ends on the ZX6R are now on permanently....hehehheheh.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
(TPS) Yamaha P/N 3P6-85885-00-00

*** General rewrite to correct errors ***​
Ali ... FWIIW ... the TPS maximum resistance YFSM page 7-65 of (4.0~6.0K ohms) is not correct for the new superceding P/N 3P6-85885-00-00 as shown below in the enclosed thread by this writer in Red.

If your current max resistance is 5.5K ohms (Blue to Black {2-outer terminals on the TPS}) then you do not have the latest superceding P/N as shown in the photos below!
  • CORRECTION: The TPS adjustment screw is a T25 tamperproof torx bit.
  • ADDITION: If present, the stock vacuum bracket for IAPS Cyl's 1 & 2 use a T30 torx bit. The LH key side cover bit will work for this too.
The values displayed in the Diagnostic Mode (DM) are influenced by the actual value you adjust the TPS. Therefore, attempt to make your adjustment at the mean value.
  • My TPS max resistance was 2.38K ohms = 2380 x 0.14 (mean value) = 333 ohms throttle CLOSED as shown in photo
    • My new TPS DM values are 15 & 91 fwiiw and not to worry
(TPS) Yamaha P/N 3P6-85885-00-00

Additional Photos here of the throttle body cavity etc: TPS-Throttle Position Sensor

For those that have the need to know i've enclosed photos of the old & new TPS for Warrior Model Years 2002-2007 (USA) for visual ID
  • This is not a 'How to DO' but a tool that can be used to identify the new superceded Part 3P6-85885-00-00
  • The info in the YFSM is not totally accurate. This new part is approx half the resistance of the old but because the closed throttle adjustment is linear the calculations still apply {Max resistance x (0.13~0.15)}

Shown below is the stock vacuum bracket for IAPS Cyl's 1 & 2 that use a T30 torx bit and the earlier TPS -01 before the Nat'l recall that i replaced in Sep 2006.

Tools of Choice

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Alan,

Sometimes the journey to uncover the truth takes a while....in my case it took 4yrs....LOL. It makes me somewhat upset that the stealership did not install the new part fot the recall. The only satisfaction I can get is the fact that they have now been out of business for over a year. I will order the new part and istall it. did finally run into the old posts indicating the max resistance, but missed the post you show above. Once again, I appreciate the depth of your knowledge.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I'm a little confused now. I just pulled my recall records and according to the invoice the replacement part # is : 5PX-85885-01-00. If the original TPS part# was 5PX-85885-00-00, then what was the difference. I can see from the microfiche that part # 3P6-85885-00-00 replaces both of those part. any thoughts. I only ask because the technician that performed my TPS also performed the CPS and I know for a fact my CPS is the new one (with white marking). While the dealership sucked, I knew this tech personally and I know he would not screw me like that.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
OK I'm a little confused now. I just pulled my recall records and according to the invoice the replacement part # is : 5PX-85885-01-00. If the original TPS part# was 5PX-85885-00-00, then what was the difference. I can see from the microfiche that part # 3P6-85885-00-00 replaces both of those part. any thoughts. I only ask because the technician that performed my TPS also performed the CPS and I know for a fact my CPS is the new one (with white marking). While the dealership sucked, I knew this tech personally and I know he would not screw me like that.
Seems like i'm guilty of putting out incorrect info on this subject :( :mad: :eek:

*** Sometimes i regret my contributions on the forum and this happens to be the case now ***

The Parts Fiche history for the TPS follows:
2002-2005 3P6-85885-00-00 replaces 5PX-85885-00-00
2006-2007 3P6-85885-00-00 replaces 5PX-85885-01-00

Page 3 of the Yamaha Nat'l recall notice states the replacement P/N to be: 5PX-85885-01-00 which is what is on your ride. The recall is for builds '2002-2005' and not '2006~2007'.

The TPS i replaced, out of pocket, before the Nat'l recall in Sep 2006 was P/N 5PX-85885-01-00 and is shown in the photos on the forum. The ohm readings for the -01 TPS were basically the same and tolerance as the earlier P/N -00 as i checked them on and off the bike and have a spreadsheet in Excel for the repair calculations as well as before and after photos from 2006.

Depending upon when the recall work was/is done, by a Dealer, some members got the -01 and others received the new superceding P/N 3P6-85885-00-00 which is physically different as shown in the photos and also has different maximum ohm values as stated by this writer and other members.

I received TPS, 3P6-85885-00-00, from member pdreina that i helped out that had a bad LAS (lean angle sensor). He replaced his TPS that had already been replaced on his 2002 by Yamaha for the Nat'l recall in 2008 as shown here & here & here if interested.

Bottom line you currently have the Nat'l recall P/N that is in the bulletin ...... seems like Yamaha decided to replace that part also and that's what some have and some don't depending upon when the TPS is/was replaced at the dealership and also the reason that i've been confused by the ohm readings by some members in prior topics on this subject.

I'm not aware of any way to identify the difference between the 5PX-85885-00-00 & 5PX-85885-01-00. Both parts have an ID DOT on the face as shown in my photos. I sent my old 5PX-85885-00-00 to Chris aka 3youngns after he rebuilt his engine and it solved his problems.

As i stated above,
Sometimes i regret my contributions on the forum and this happens to be the case now.

I hope this clearifies my mistake

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy did I open a big can of worms or what...lol. Thanks for the diligant research Alan.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Boy did I open a big can of worms or what...lol. Thanks for the diligant research Alan.
Ali .... thank you for challenging my post and I respect your contributions here :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the latest TPS installed. Max resistance 2.5k ohms and got the mean resistance of 350 ohms dialed in spot on. Zeroed the TP for the PCIII also. Min max TP per ecu indicates 16 and 91. Now I can sleep better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts