RS Warrior Forum banner

241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I got my bike in January (05 mindight). The guy said he got the TPS taken care of at his local dealer but with it being winter in the northeast, he didn't get a chance to test that it was really fixed.

Yesterday I took the bike out (46 degree temps) and noticed the bike would die out when comming to a stop. After reading this thread, it appears that the TPS was not fixed. Thankfully I have had the clutch fully engaged each time so I did not have the tire lock up on me.

I want to take the bike to my local dealer to get it fixed but over the winter I have done the coil relocation & some other mods. Has anyone with simillar mods gotten the runaround from a dealer on this because the bike is "modified"?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the same problem. I need all 3 recalls for my bike .My bike is completely rebuild and modified so I was worried they will mix up something so I ask the dealer if I can take everything of from the bike and bring him just the frame with wheels and engine. He say it is not problem I will do this next month….

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
royale5 said:
I got my bike in January (05 mindight). The guy said he got the TPS taken care of at his local dealer but with it being winter in the northeast, he didn't get a chance to test that it was really fixed.

Yesterday I took the bike out (46 degree temps) and noticed the bike would die out when comming to a stop. After reading this thread, it appears that the TPS was not fixed. Thankfully I have had the clutch fully engaged each time so I did not have the tire lock up on me.

I want to take the bike to my local dealer to get it fixed but over the winter I have done the coil relocation & some other mods. Has anyone with simillar mods gotten the runaround from a dealer on this because the bike is "modified"?

Hold on....First off, It's most likely not the TPS, I would check that your idle isn't too low and that you have the proper amount of freeplay in the clutch cable (it's in your manual). Also, you can call Yamaha with your VIN and they will tell you if the TPS recall was done.

It's probably not a coincidence that the cluthc was pulled in each time it happened, I'm betting on idle and clutch freeplay.

Also, the dealer won't say anything about your mods. They will appreciate the fact that you have a BAK, it's easier to work under the tank.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
kouba said:
I have the same problem. I need all 3 recalls for my bike .My bike is completely rebuild and modified so I was worried they will mix up something so I ask the dealer if I can take everything of from the bike and bring him just the frame with wheels and engine. He say it is not problem I will do this next month….

Hang on, your stripping the bike down just to take it in for the recalls? Am I reading that right? If so, it's completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I need all recalls. I think for the 4th Pinion Gear Recall they need to take of whole engine so I will just take of the tank ,seat...it's litle complicated .everithing is somehow conected ,check my galery and I'm worried they will mix up something...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ken (A.K.A. Big Shasta) said:
I would check that your idle isn't too low and that you have the proper amount of freeplay in the clutch cable (it's in your manual). Also, you can call Yamaha with your VIN and they will tell you if the TPS recall was done.

It's probably not a coincidence that the cluthc was pulled in each time it happened, I'm betting on idle and clutch freeplay.

Thanks for the feedback, I will have to look into the freeplay in the clutch. The idle is OK because I adjusted it and checked it via PCIII I am at 900-1000rpm. Where can I get a manual from? The bike didn't come with one.

·
Vendor
943 Posts
Well that would explain the exact problem I have been having the 05 warrior i just purchased. It has street sweepers on it and thought that could be problem so got a power commander. I just came in today and now I see this. Needed the commander anyways but nice to know that would not of fixed the problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My TPS must have gone out last weekend. It is doing exactly as the warning says. It will startup fine and then whenI blip the throttle it will start acting up like it wants to die. I can pop WOT and it will rev, but it doesn't like idle or low RPM. Now if i keep bliping the throttle it will catch sometimes an idle right. As soon as I hit it again, back to poping and loaping.

Spark plugs are black and black smoke is coming out the pipes. All the signs are there. Now just how to get it to the shop.

TPS and CPS and plugs and Oil. Fresh bill o health fo the summer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got my warrior and the guy I bought it from had this recall done. I have the paperwork if that will help. I can scan it and send it to your email...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi everyone.

I'm having these problems with my bike, and I haven't done this recall yet (it is an 06 so it shouldn't need it). I'm planning on getting a new TPS and replace it myself, but I found out the P/N from 06 and 09 are different (and also prices, $160 for 06 and $60 for 09).

My question is, can I use the 09 TPS on my 06 bike?, even if the P/N are different?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
553 Posts
nititgye said:
My question is, can I use the 09 TPS on my 06 bike?, even if the P/N are different?

I thought I had problems with my TPS.

Mine is an "03" the old part number was 5PX-8588501, superseded with 3P6-8588500.

US price $127.00

UK price £150.00 (think yourself lucky) Lol.

I see the 06 is the same,

but 08 changes again to 8GL-8588500. at $46.71.

I would go for the cheap one and give it a try. I nowknow certain Suzuki ones fit and work which are less than half the price.

Gav.

·
Administrator
27,731 Posts
Interesting info. You could ask Bill or Scott athttp://rswarrior.com/forums/7938.aspx to see if its best to buy the newest version of the TPS since it should fit physically, and it seems doubtful there's any electrical difference.Or,since youhaven't done the recall work yet, why not let the dealer do it free? Its a quick job.

Could you let us know if you learn that the newest 2009 version of the TPS has some magic difference?!

nititgye said:
Hi everyone. I'm having these problems with my bike, and I haven't done this recall yet (it is an 06 so it shouldn't need it). I'm planning on getting a new TPS and replace it myself, but I found out the P/N from 06 and 09 are different (and also prices, $160 for 06 and $60 for 09). My question is, can I use the 09 TPS on my 06 bike?, even if the P/N are different? Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
nititgye said:
Hi everyone. I'm having these problems with my bike, and I haven't done this recall yet (it is an 06 so it shouldn't need it). I'm planning on getting a new TPS and replace it myself, but I found out the P/N from 06 and 09 are different (and also prices, $160 for 06 and $60 for 09). My question is, can I use the 09 TPS on my 06 bike?, even if the P/N are different? Thanks a lot!
My .02 follows and lets talk non-California Models USA

2002-2007 Warriors all supercede to a new TPS # 3P6-85885-00-00 and use a common T/B (throttle body) assembly except the California specific model which is another P/N

2008-2009 Warrior have a new TPS # 8GL-85885-00-00 (Same P/N used on the Raider) and also a new T/B assembly P/N neither of which supercede to the earlier models in the Parts Fiche of MSSS.com: Alabama Yamaha Suzuki Polaris Spyder Can Am Sea Doo Motorcycle, Atv, Ranger, Rhino Watercraft Dealer on Mississippi State Line, Sales, Service, Parts. New and Pre-owned, OEM, Aftermarket Parts Accessories - Motorsports Superstore

IMO, based on this supercession chain from the available information on the www, i suspect that the parts aren't interchangeable and would buy the proper part for the model application!

·
Registered
148 Posts
AlanH said:
[2008-2009 Warrior have a new TPS # 8GL-85885-00-00 (Same P/N used on theRaider) and also a new T/B assembly P/N neither of which supercede to the earlier models in the Parts Fiche of MSSS.com: http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2007&fveh=12890

IMO, based on this supercession chain from theavailableinformation on the www, i suspect that theparts aren't interchangeable and would buy the proper part for the model application!

Oh.. shoot!... I got the 09 model, I thought the P/N changed because of the "enhanced" post recall model, and also it's a lot more cheaper. I guess I'll let you all know when I get it if it works or not. My bike now wont even iddle without stalling.... I really hope this is the TPS (I made the DIY CPS repair, with the high temp. sealant).

BTW, I cannot make the recall because I bought the bike in the US and brought it to Chile, so nobody would fix it (**** local Yammi)

Thanks a lot to all of you!! I'll post pics and update when I get the new part.

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
nititgye said:
Oh.. shoot!... I got the 09 model, I thought the P/N changed because of the "enhanced" post recall model, and also it's a lot more cheaper. I guess I'll let you all know when I get it if it works or not. My bike now wont even iddle without stalling.... I really hope this is the TPS (I made the DIY CPS repair, with the high temp. sealant).

BTW, I cannot make the recall because I bought the bike in the US and brought it to Chile, so nobody would fix it (**** local Yammi)

Thanks a lot to all of you!! I'll post pics and update when I get the new part.
There isn't going to be an electrical issue as the main harness hasn't changed for those model years so the connector will work.
  • It's going to be a physical issue connecting to the T/B shaft or cavity that it sits in, etc if it differs at all. A photo of the new part looking at the connection end to the T/B would be neat.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
(TPS) Yamaha P/N 3P6-85885-00-00

Additional Photos here of the throttle body cavity etc: TPS-Throttle Position Sensor

For those that have the need to know i've enclosed photos of the old & new superceded TPS for Warrior Model Years 2002-2007 (USA) for visual ID
  • This is not a 'How to DO' but a tool that can be used to identify the new superceded Part 3P6-85885-00-00
  • The info in the YFSM is not totally accurate. This new part is approx half the resistance of the old but because the closed throttle adjustment is linear the calculations still apply {Max resistance x (0.13~0.15)}

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Does anyone know if there's a benefit to the newer TPS P/N for bikes that are too new for the recall? I have a 2007 that was new out of the crate last fall. The dealer installed the CPS recall, but nothing for the TPS. I notice that the max resistance is about 5K ohms, so it isn't the newest part. It is adjusted correctly for the closed throttle resistance. The bike runs fairly well, but does have a little stumble off idle occasionally, and can die occasionally, even though the idle seems to be set properly when warm. Nothing awful, but I wonder if it would be worth it to push the dealer to replace the part (still under warranty,) or replace it myself.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Does anyone know if there's a benefit to the newer TPS P/N for bikes that are too new for the recall? I have a 2007 that was new out of the crate last fall. The dealer installed the CPS recall, but nothing for the TPS. I notice that the max resistance is about 5K ohms, so it isn't the newest part. It is adjusted correctly for the closed throttle resistance. The bike runs fairly well, but does have a little stumble off idle occasionally, and can die occasionally, even though the idle seems to be set properly when warm. Nothing awful, but I wonder if it would be worth it to push the dealer to replace the part (still under warranty,) or replace it myself.
Thanks,

Bob
Bob ... please read my recent response in the enclosed link and decide for yourself

241 - 260 of 260 Posts