RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend (not a member here) had his transmission lock up on him last Thursday. He has a '02 with 3800 miles and was going about 45 mph in third or forth gear, most likely forth knowing the way he rides, when it locked up. He was on a straight part of a road with a lot of curves and just skidded to a stop. Very lucky it could have been a lot worse. He doesn't abuse the bike, he's the least agressive of the three of us Warriors that ride together here.

Dealer now has the bike but hasn't opened it up yet. I will keep you posted as I get any new info.

I would have posted sooner but only got all the details tonight.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Dang, just another piece of the jigsaw to digest. I have been breathing easier till the surgery, with the thought of all the folks who have posted over the last year and a half of how they speedshift their Warrior transmissions.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
glad he's ok. This just supports my theory that the harder you are on the warrior the better off it is. From what I've heard, speed shifting is easier on the Tranny then using the clutch. Just like breaking in the engine, treat her rough and push the rev's up, you get more power out of it and it likes you better.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Funny how we know it is a "tranny failure" with neither the tranny nor the motor opened up yet. If it is a genuine "tranny failure" due to a circlip coming loose, Yamaha will have to report it to NHTSA, let's see if that actually happens before we chalk another one up to the "lockup-monster".

All too easy to chalk up anything that suddenly goes wrong and stops the rear wheel from spinning like this to the "g*ddamn recall" due to the publicity. There is a lot more that can go wrong on this bike other than just that god-forsaken little circlip coming loose.....

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Good point Stiletto. For all anyone knows it could have been the rear brake seizing up. I'm gonna reserve my judgement till some real facts come in.

Thanks for posting Tomasa, let us know what happens, or better yet, have the actual owner tell us what happens.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hmmmmmmm ..... I can't really see how people can carry on using their bikes with this sort of potential hazard, we've just had 2 transmission failures in a week that turned out harmless ... next week could be something more serious ... think about it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sangathor

Good point Stiletto. For all anyone knows it could have been the rear brake seizing up. I'm gonna reserve my judgement till some real facts come in.

Thanks for posting Tomasa, let us know what happens, or better yet, have the actual owner tell us what happens.

Steve,

Thanks for helping us to keep this in perspective. We should all reserve judgement until seeing the facts.

Tomasa,

Please keep us abreast of the situation as the results of the bike's 'surgery' has a significant bearing on many issues (Lawsuit, letters to Yami Corp, etc.). Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oly

Hmmmmmmm ..... I can't really see how people can carry on using their bikes with this sort of potential hazard, we've just had 2 transmission failures in a week that turned out harmless ... next week could be something more serious ... think about it.

Equally so, doing that blind turn at 70+ mph with a car coming in the other direction - who's driver has been drinking and half asleep. This is LIFE, my friend.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Tranny recall keeping you up at night? Wifey says that's all you talk about anymore??

So, let's think about just how risky it is riding a motorcycle even with a perfectly functioning transmission. For the calendar year ending Dec 31, 2000 here were the risks we each consented to each time we saddle up and snicked it into gear:

2,862 motorcyclists lost their lives in traffic accidents.

58,000 motorcyclists were injured in crashes.

Motorcyclists are about 18 times more likely to be in a fatal accident and 3 times more likely to be injured than those in passenger cars.

The fatality rate for motorcyclists was 3.6 times greater than the fatality rate for occupants of passenger cars.

Over 50 PERCENT of all motorcycles involved in FATAL crashes COLLIDED with another motor vehicle in transit. In two-vehicle crashes, 76 percent of motorcycles involved were impacted in the front.

1,300 two-vehicle fatal crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle occurred.
Of these crashes, 35 percent (459) of the other vehicles were turning left while the motorcyclist was traveling straight, passing, or overtaking the vehicle.

In 25 percent (32/emoticons/emotion-11.gif of the cases, both the motorcycle and the other vehicle were traveling straight.

45 percent of all motorcyclist fatalities resulted from crashes that occurred in the following seven states: California (276); Florida (259); Texas (227); Pennsylvania (149); Ohio and Illinois (126 each); and New York (119).

38 percent of all motorcyclists involved in fatal accidents were speeding, approximately twice the rate for drivers of passenger vehicles.

The percentage of speeding involvement in fatal crashes was approximately twice as high for motorcyclists as for drivers of passenger cars or light trucks, and the percentage of alcohol involvement was about 50 percent higher for motorcyclists.

Motorcycle operators involved in fatal crashes on average when intoxicated had higher intoxication rates than intoxicated drivers of any other type of vehicle involved in a fatal accident.

27 percent of all fatally-injured motorcycle operators were intoxicated. The intoxication rate was highest for fatally injured motorcycle operators between 40 and 44 (42 percent), followed by ages 35 to 39 (39 percent) and ages 45 to 49 (34 percent).

41 percent of the 1,203 motorcycle operators who were killed in single-vehicle crashes were intoxicated.

57 percent of the 1,045 motorcycle operators who were killed in single-vehicle crashes on weekend nights were intoxicated.

Motorcycle operators killed in traffics accidents at night were nearly 4 times more likely to be intoxicated than those killed during the day (43 percent and 12 percent, respectively).

41 percent of intoxicated motorcycle operators killed in traffic accidents were wearing helmets, compared with 61 percent who were sober.

219 young motorcycle drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 were killed, and 5,000 more were injured.

28 percent of young motorcycle drivers involved in fatal crashes were either unlicensed or driving with an invalid license at the time of the crash.

Statistical Sources: United States Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, National Center for Statistics & Analysis, Traffic Safety Facts (2000);

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Either wait it out til kits come in, and have the recall performed. OR, up the life insurance policy, and RIDE! /emoticons/emotion-4.gif

·
Registered
43 Posts
[:0]between tanny lockup 1 and 2 it seams to me that if it is going to happen it will be somewhere around 4,000 miles. what do you other guy's think. or maybe to early to tell.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts