RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know there is alot of information(pages and pages). I cannot find a clear answer to this. I did an oil change the other day. I have not ridden it yet(been working on LED lights). I removed both of the large drain plugs 17mm I think. I replaced the filter and filled it up, started for 15 secs, then filled to the appropriate level. My question is did I also drain the transfer case?? I know that the tranny and engine run on the same oil, and that the transfer case is seperate. Do I need to fill the transfer case now?? The two drain plugs were located: 1 was on the left side toward the front, and the other was on the right side near the rear shock. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im a newbie here but i just changed my oil for the first time. and no you didnt change the transfer case oil. the 2 bolts you unscrewed are the correct ones for the oil. but to drain the transfer case oil you have to remove the exhaust. thats about all I know like i said im new here/emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Small bolt head, 12mm socket, under the T-case, to drain. Then you fill through the large round slotted cover on the side of the T-case, right side of the bike.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
the answer is no, you haven't drain the transfer case oil. see this thread for how to and pictures: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=786

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just changed my transfer case oil (transfer gear oil) last night. Like everyone has said, you did not change the transfer oil. You have to remove the exhaust, there is really no way to do the change without removing it. The thread has pretty good instructions, I used the instructions in the service manual, very easy to follow. If you have any specific questions, PM me since the procedure is fresh in my head.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
You can make a simple tool for the transfer case fill plug. Score a large 1/2 inch flat washer. Cut it fit in the slot & leave enough sticking out so you can get an adjustable wrench on it & not score up the inside of the exhaust.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Churchkey is right you can change the oil in the primary case without removing the exhaust. Just need to be careful and not scratch things up.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I drained mine without removing the exaust. I have V&H bigshots. Kind of hate to admit it,but I did it unintentionally when I was changing the oil. Removed the transfer drain plug thinking it was the oil drain plug. I did not carefully read the instructions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
do not remove the exhaust! instead take a fender washer. Cut it in half. Drill a hole in it to fit a punch. Using a pair of plyers, position the half washer in the slot. Using the punch as a lever, insert it into the hole you drilled and turn counter clockwise. Loosen the plug the rest of the way with your fingers. Use a funnel with an extension tube.The type used for transmissions to refill the case. A little tricky but it works and no removal of exhaust system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts