RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, please limit discussion on this thread to modifications that can be done while the recall work is being done.

Here's my current thinking: I've been hanging out on the Patrick Racing site so I'm thinking their: Cam Kit, Valve Spring Kit, Piston Kit (97mm), Big Air Kit, PCIII, port the heads and a valve job, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 pipe.

Any thoughts on this? Any competing ideas re: my selections?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Patrick,

High compression piston kit and a cam kit could probably be purchased from Orient Express or Patrick Racing. I would like to see Rob @ O.E. come up with a good package for us all. Although I think this would void all warranties with Yamaha.

It's expensive but you might be able to find a Stage IV kit at one of the dealerships. Someone is offering us Stage IV kits and good prices. (check vendor forum or Member discounts)

Best thing to do is talk to the mechanic to see what they could offer you. They could probably sell you the Stage IV kit at regular price and save you money on the labor.

I wouldn't really want to do anything more than that with the dealer. If you wanted serious power then your better off sending your bike down to Patrick Racing in LA or Orient Express for the East Coasters.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
By the way, the above is for Engine Mods.

For stock bikes, other mods would include: Pipes, Air Kit (many to choose from), PCIII and removing/blocking the AIS which can all be purchased from www.phatsperformaceparts.com.

You can also change the pulley from 32 teeth (stock) to 30 or 31 for more torque or 33 for more HP. (please correct me if I'm wrong here guys).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Speedstar Stage IV Kit definitely! It's all solid, perfectly machined Yamaha parts. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
I'm going to buy one, if Richie can put one on a UPS airplane. No jokes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Jody,
About the front pulley, your close. The fewer the teeth on the front pulley the more your engine will turn for each rotation of the rear wheel, more grunt. The more the teeth on your front pulley the more your rear wheel will turn for each rotation of your engine, more speed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here is a quote from PR when I was looking at getting some stuff done,"Our 108" kit with a Vance & Hines Propipe is at about 115hp and about 125-130 ftlbs of torque. That is a substantial power gain from stock. I would also say that the 108" kit is just as reliable as the stock set-up.Our 108" kit is a bolt on kit and does not require the cases to be bored. The big bore pistons are similar to the high compression drop in pistons. They both are 10.25 to 1 and they are both made by JE pistons." I think they were saying this whole thing could cost a hair over $3000. But for roughly the same price as the Stage IV kit, I think you would get better all around performance from it. For Christ Sakes, they make the fastest Warrior in the world, I don't think they would stear us wrong/emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am getting a Big Bore set-up done to my bike. My dyno guru mechanic said he liked the results better than the sppedstar kit. He said some stuff in the speedstar kit isnt really worth the money. I will be getting Big Bore, pistons, air kit all from OE, Big Shots, custom map all for $2700 which includes all labor. Now with the tranny recall I should be able to save $500 or so in labor. I will find out when I go to order my parts today.

·
Registered
589 Posts
mattman, $2700 including labor, that seems pretty cheap. Are they doing the work for you or is your local dealer? What is OE figuring you should get out of that in regards to performance?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
There is a good chance that the dealership is going to tell you that they cannot do anything to the bike that is not part of the recall. Even if you offer to pay...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It may depend on the individual dealer as far as what they will do. Mine said they'd do new pistons for no labor charge since Yamaha is going to provide new piston rings. As far as other mods, it depends on what kind of dealer you have and what kind of service department they have.

I expect to hear horror stories and success stories as this unfolds. BTW, the recall includes Roadstars as well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Road Dog: It is a local dealer. It is also the only dealer listed on the powercommander website as having a dyno 250 in my area. Nick my dyno guru quoted me a price and that is what is was. Now today when I order my parts I will have him put it in writing. I have seen some his work and it was impressive. I saw him the other day working on the "Rocket Mans" bike. It was ZX-12 that was still a 1200 and they were running it on the dyno to see if it was going to make 500HP yes 500. It has turbo and NOS. I saw the bike and it had wheelie bars on the back...lol. I'll found out if they hit the 500 mark whe I am there. But after seeing that I knew he was the man to work on my bike. Also his daily rider wasn't normal either...lol

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
quote:Originally posted by amospro

By the way, the above is for Engine Mods.

For stock bikes, other mods would include: Pipes, Air Kit (many to choose from), PCIII and removing/blocking the AIS which can all be purchased from www.phatsperformaceparts.com.

You can also change the pulley from 32 teeth (stock) to 30 or 31 for more torque or 33 for more HP. (please correct me if I'm wrong here guys).

Any one know who sells a 33 tooth pully?

Thanks
T Rex[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Im trying to decide whether to do the 108 big bore kit from Pactrick or just high compression pistons and cam. i dont want to sacrifice reliability or create a giant vibrator on two wheels. What do you guys think?

Thanks

T Rex[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going for the following:

Cam kit, spring kit, piston kit (drop-ins), custom head work (porting, valves), adjustable push-rod tubes, air kit, V&H Pro Pipe, PC III USB... I guess that's it.

By the way, when I presented the list of mods and costs (about $3k)that I want to my sweetie (my bride, 10 years), she suggested that I get that seat I've been wanting for so long, and the new bars, and, get this, a personalized license plate! I asked her what the plate should say. She hesitated, smiled, and said, "SINGLE!" She's quite the kidder, that one... at least, I think she's kidding... I guess there's only one sure way to find out!

Best regards!

Patrick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts