RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hear about a transmission recall. Just spoke with my mechanic (Yamaha dealer), and they encountered an '04 buletin on the transmission. They're awaiting word back from Yamaha to get the details. I'll update this post when I hear back. In the meantime, anyone hear anything about it?

Thanks,

Patrick - Sonoma, CA

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
If you search thru the NHTSA web site you will find that there have been a few people who have complained that their tranny has locked up.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Have not heard anything about it. Quite the oposit many people always felt that the Warriors tranny is of very good quality. Well I will keep looking.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The following site has some info on this problem. It is listed for the 2002 and 2003 modles only. I don't see any affected VIN listed.

Make: YAMAHA
Model: ROAD STAR WARRIOR
Year: 2003
Recall Number: 03V309000
Summary:
IN THE TRANSMISSION ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE SECOND/THIRD PINION GEAR MAY BE INCORRECTLY MACHINED WHICH COULD CAUSE ABNORMAL WEAR THAT EVENTUALLY RESULTS IN A BROKEN RETAINER CIRCLIP.
Consequence:
IF THE CIRCLIP BREAKS, THE TRANSMISSION COULD LOCK UP, WHICH WOULD ALSO CAUSE THE REAR WHEEL TO LOCK UP. THIS COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF CONTROL AND A CRASH, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
Remedy:
YAMAHA WILL REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION GEARS AND SHAFTS WITH NEW ONES. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING SEPTEMBER 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-88-YAMAHA OR VISIT THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.YAMAHA-MOTOR.COM.
Notes:
ALSO, CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION#146;S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

·
Registered
646 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 1warrior

well how do we know if our bike is one that has this problem?

Sudden de-celeration...bad joke. The recall would apply to all vehicles within that particular year. Same as the gas tank re-call previously. The dealer would have to provide the fix to all vehicles covered by the notice. That would be the safest thing to do.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Sure enough. I just faxed the entire NHTSA Capaign report to my local dealer. They are checking into it. They knew about the Roadstars but not about the Warrior.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Many of the recalls are lised for several types of bike from the same company even though they don't apply to all models. I put in my car and came up with recalls from other pontics.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I've been popping out of 1st and 2nd every once in a while - clutch is adjusted properly and no really hard shifting. I wonder if this is indicative of the same problem. Anyone get a notice about this since September?

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Ok Here are the details:

According to my local dealer Yamaha just decided you go through this ordeal on 2002 and 2003 Warriors in addition the Roadstars they already notified. He told me to expect something in the mail from Yamaha in the very near future.

According to my guys it has to be done by appointment as the whole job takes 3-5 work days. According to them the entire engine has to be pulled, Heads off, Cylinders off, split the case and rebuilt the tranny.
This is everybodies chance to get your valves looked at!

I will keep you posted as I get more info.

Oliver

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks for the info Oliver. I'm going to contact my dealer and let them know. I guess we'll have to wait for our notices. Bummer, but I'm glad they're going to fix it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have always noticed that sometimes I have difficulty shifting into second..... It's as easy as other gears to push the lever into but it's like it falls back out of the gear. I have read a few others say they have had this problem too. I believe I read where one guy said that after a few 1000 miles it went away. This could be a sign that the incorrect wear has taken place. I am going to contact my dealer as soon as I can walk in and say it to their face. Thanks for posting this guys!

1 - 20 of 536 Posts