RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know them? I've had two people tell me " as tight as you can get them" but I can bench press 340lbs so my " tight as you can" might be different than some others. Oh and I'm doing the main steering stem nut at 13lbs. That sound right?

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
On the steering nut you are suppose to go fairly tight and then back it off then torque to 13#.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
It's not 13#
Yeah, i should not have said 13# cause i was not sure, i just knew it needed to be tightened up tight to seat the bearings up in their cups and then backed off and retorqued to the specified torque. Sorry, i should have looked it up before posting to be sure. My bad.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just knew it was tight then pretty loose. im going to go to 85lbs but in my head thats tight enough its going to make the steering too stiff.

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Reading the entire section of the e-manual from word-1 to the end is critical in this deceptively organized series of steps. It lulls you into assumptions.

For example, you need to lock-nut without changing the very light critical torque. Simple sounding. So once you apply the semi-critical initial torque to set the steering bearings, and then once you back-it-off, you suddenly need one torque tool to set at final-torque, and then two wrenches that both fit the thickness of a steering nut so you can hold the bottom exactly at torque while locking the top nut.

Although a flop test is not the best test, its easy. Your flop test will fail if its not right, and you will feel the steering is wrong. Unresolved, you will lose bearings and possibly threads, or worse.

My first series of tries (posted here someplace) were frustration central. I finally bought two of the Yamaha brand spanners for this work (see e-manual). The aftermarket ones were thicker than the nuts and the grab was loose.

I'll pass along the encouragement I got from two members here: it's one of those things you just have to suffer through. But once you get it right one time, its with you the rest of your life and its a gateway to much more.

The first time you do this it will drive you crazy. But only if you are paying attention and doing it right. And its worth the trouble.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all of the torquing went well until i got to the axel pinch bolts. i snapped one off. thats going to be a pain in the a$$ to get out.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
You are running the mortons 7 degree trees aren't you evilrider? I hate snapping bolts off. I haven't done it in years now but when i was younger, i guess i didn't know my own strength. I have a better touch now, thank God.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
If you were using a torque wrench and snapped a bolt, try going to a lesser torque on the first torque and then go to the max torque you want for the final torque. Since doing this i have not broken a bolt when using a torque wrench.

Reactions: arizonawarrior
1 - 15 of 15 Posts