RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Definitely an interesting read! Thanks for the bump, I don't know that I would have ever searched for this, but it answers a lot of questions for me.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
FYI, you need to use 1/2" all thread. I tried with 3/8" 'cuz that's what I had and it snapped. After a quick trip to the hardware store, I got it taken care of. Be sure to get a few extra washers too for added strength. Also, I definitely recommend an impact wrench or it will be a huge pain and take forever.

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
I used a harbor freight 20 ton press with the arbors to remove the stem and cut a piece of top rail that goes on a chain link fence to install the stem and bearing, it's a perfect fit for the stem and fits perfect on the bearing. Took about 20 minutes to do the whole thing. I've done 2 warriors and a dyna harley with it so far.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I see polished and powdercoated trees, but I am installing chrome ones. Will the legs be able to slide into the trees, does the chroming take up space, making it difficult? Same with the stem tolerances-Great pictures and help, I am hoping this is not too big of a pain! You replace both bearings (factory) I assume? Anything else? THANKS!

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
I see polished and powdercoated trees, but I am installing chrome ones. Will the legs be able to slide into the trees, does the chroming take up space, making it difficult? Same with the stem tolerances-Great pictures and help, I am hoping this is not too big of a pain! You replace both bearings (factory) I assume? Anything else? THANKS!
I've done several sets of trees and reused the lower stem bearing and seal without any issues.

IMO the aluminum steering stem should be removed before chroming and the hole masked if possible. You'll want to be sure that any stray plating from the process be carefully removed from this hole before repressing the stem into the bottom tree.

The slip fit of the fork legs aren't an issue with chromed trees.
As i recall Cycle Image didn't removed the risers bushings in the upper tree for their exchanged product. Perhaps someone will chime in.

The Chrome plating process will add material to the part in question. Holes become smaller and thickness increases.
Hope this helps

21 - 25 of 25 Posts