RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now dont laugh at my question here. I'm not quite sure how the 6 degree raked triple trees work but I think its got somethin to do with the angle that the holes are drilled? Maybe i'm worng. Anyways, my question is if it would be possible to some how redrill the holes at a different angle to rake it out more? Like a DIY rake job.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I seriously doubt that a diy rake mod can be had without some very serious engineering.
It's a completely different approach.

We just gotta bite the bullet and PAY for it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm going to school right now for cad engineering and I have access to cnc machines and all that good stuff. I was thinking maybe I could take my stock trees off, measure and draw them up, make a change in the rake and them make them. I have teachers that could help me too. But I spose its alot more complex than I'm making it sound.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Having fitted a set of the C&S 6 degree trees and I can vouch for the fact that they are a piece of engineering artwork and probably not something that an amateur could produce, there are many precise measurements required for the steering head, bearings & forks that if you got wrong, would no doubt spell disaster for your steering and handling.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I'm a master machinist and even I would probably elect to buy them anyway. BMS, and a Metric Custom shop in Wilmington, NC are a couple who I know of that make raked trees. I'm sure there are others. You're talking exponential error possibilities. Think about it...if you're hole location/angle/squareness/parallelism is off just a thousandth at the trees, it inherits a progressively worse error the further away you get. Therefore, at the end of the fork, you're possibly looking at fractions of an inch instead of thousandths. The ONLY way I'd attempt it is if I had access to a "Scanning" CMM measuring system such as the Zeiss Contura to first measure the stock trees, then computer convert the angular relation. Set it up in CAD/CAM and then machine. But even if you did DIY, you're probably looking at $75 in material (I'd probably use 6061-T6 aluminum), tooling costs + finishing costs depending on what kind of appearance you'd want. All in all, the $500 to buy is now looking pretty good, huh?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Only $500, where did you find them for $500?
quote:Originally posted by silverbulletss

Yeah, I agree. I'm a master machinist and even I would probably elect to buy them anyway. BMS, and a Metric Custom shop in Wilmington, NC are a couple who I know of that make raked trees. I'm sure there are others. You're talking exponential error possibilities. Think about it...if you're hole location/angle/squareness/parallelism is off just a thousandth at the trees, it inherits a progressively worse error the further away you get. Therefore, at the end of the fork, you're possibly looking at fractions of an inch instead of thousandths. The ONLY way I'd attempt it is if I had access to a "Scanning" CMM measuring system such as the Zeiss Contura to first measure the stock trees, then computer convert the angular relation. Set it up in CAD/CAM and then machine. But even if you did DIY, you're probably looking at $75 in material (I'd probably use 6061-T6 aluminum), tooling costs + finishing costs depending on what kind of appearance you'd want. All in all, the $500 to buy is now looking pretty good, huh?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Don't laugh wacko. When I was looking to change, I did see trees for sale for WELL under the $500 mark, but I was suspicious and just ponied up to the bar and went with c and s.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cost isnt a big deal cuz I'd get it all for free since it's for a school project but yeah, I know what your sayin about errors being bigger and the end of the forks and all that. I dont know if they have a Scanning CMM measuring system or not. Maybe I'll just stick to some forward controls or somethin.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Forward controls will be a good, challenging project. Better not mess with anything that will effect your ride, especially rake/trail right out of the gate. Best of luck! Ever thought about custom hand controls? If you have 3D milling/ 4th axis lathe capabilities or a wire EDM in your shop you can come up with some pretty sick designs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You got any pics of some custom hand controls for some ideas? Or any other items that I would be able to make for that matter?

·
Registered
410 Posts
How about custom side covers?
Insert Image:

82.06KB
quote:Originally posted by loosenuhs

You got any pics of some custom hand controls for some ideas? Or any other items that I would be able to make for that matter?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice side cover, Roger...good idea too. I don't have any pics or files, but I've always thought of doing a set of brass knuckle type clutch/brake levers.

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pwfyrcat1

Don't laugh wacko. When I was looking to change, I did see trees for sale for WELL under the $500 mark, but I was suspicious and just ponied up to the bar and went with c and s.

I don't think Wacko was laughing at the price, I think it was the fact he wanted to build his own trees.

I still want to know where you found trees for $500

·
Registered
91 Posts
the 7deg trees move the front out 6"?

Any other problems with the trees (longer brake lines required, fork length an issue, handling)?

·
Registered
179 Posts
The sevens work with stock brake lines. The forks get 2 1/2 spacers put into the top of the forks, which eliminate the preload adjusters. I have 700 miles on with the new 7's, the handeling is different, but still stable. It actually corners better with my 260, now that I raked it out a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts