RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im still working on my bars. i have all of the wires extended but im having a **** of a time getting the wires through the bars. any help would be awesome..

·
Registered
188 Posts
i used a wire hanger and shoved it thru first, then taped the wire using electrical tape. make sure you tape the wire at increments so they don't hang up at the holes. i will be doing it again soon, as i am removing the T bars for some black powder coat. i hope this helped a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Did you stagger your solder connections when extending the wires? If you did not, then you will have a helluva time getting them through, if you do at al.

Work with the right one first since it has less wires on the controls. Once you get that one through, you will have a little experience and then the left one might not be so tough.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Scootman said:
Did you stagger your solder connections when extending the wires? If you did not, then you will have a helluva time getting them through, if you do at al.

Work with the right one first since it has less wires on the controls. Once you get that one through, you will have a little experience and then the left one might not be so tough.
Even if you didn't stagger them, just stagger when you pull them through to avoid that bulge...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
fastby250cc said:

Even if you didn't stagger them, just stagger when you pull them through to avoid that bulge...

What do you know about avoiding the bulge Mr Big Trophy Guy?

·
Vendor
943 Posts
I did mine over the winter. Will say I learned a few lessons. Like the other members said staggering is highly recommended. I also did not lube the cables. I just ran a wire though the bars to pull the wires though. I was almost surprised when it was all said and done and everything still works.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I hope that you have better luck than I did with this project. I have double t bars and I had to run the wires on the left side on the outside of the bike after 3 tries to run them internally. I am not particularly happy about it but after many hours of trying and loys of swearing I decided that I'll deal with it just to be able to ride the bike. I tried many different ways of putting them through the bars too, in small bundles of only 3-4 wires each and even putting some petroleum jelly on them to help them slide through and that didnt help either.

I am not trying to discourage you but just telling my experience and what didnt work for me, I hope you have better success. I think it would be easier if the manufactures took thisinto consideration when making the barsto try and make the interior of the bars so thatthe wires slide through a little easier.

Anyway good luck and post how you made out and maybe it will help the next person.

freerider8

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just put the T bars on my bike last weekend and Im thinking about going internal, but I dont know if they have enough room inside. They are just the Yamaha T bars. If I dont go internal, Im going to pick up the large size braided line cover from the local parts store just to dress up the look alittle. If you run into to many probs, you can always go that route.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Wire lube is your friend. Pick it up at Lowes or Home Depot, stagger as said by the others. Add the length you need for the wires then add a foot, a little expense but more then worth it in the end. I upped my wire diameter as far as the coating, it makes it hard to pull in but less chance of cut wire. Above all ohm those bad boys out before you wire everything back up...oh and be very sure you mark your colors in a log book, nothing is better then a good record if anything ever goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
As has been previously stated, stagger the solder joints, attach some "tough" string to the end of the bundle, lube the inside of your bars (WD 40) worked okay for me, tape-off all holes int he bars except for your entry point and exit point, then suck the string through the bars with a vacuum cleaner. Push the bundle while you pull the string. You'll get there you just need some patience.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Pep said:
As has been previously stated, stagger the solder joints, attach some "tough" string to the end of the bundle, lube the inside of your bars (WD 40) worked okay for me, tape-off all holes int he bars except for your entry point and exit point, then suck the string through the bars with a vacuum cleaner. Push the bundle while you pull the string. You'll get there you just need some patience.
All the above replies and probably the most important is what Pep stated above, push before and while your pulling. The problem is where bars transition from bar to riser there is a square edged 90,probably not deburred, so your pulling over that. When you push you create a loop radius which you can then pull down. You have to inch worm it and be patient. You'll know how you did when you see the shape of the wire insulation/tape when it comes out. All it takes is one cut insulation touching ground and you got problems. The last thing you wan't to do is do it twice. So take your time.

Good luck, you can do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts