RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a recall notice for the Yamaha TT Handlebars today. A manufactoring error was discovered where the bars narrow at the switch housing on bars manufactored btween August 2008 and July 2009. The metal tubing is thinner than designed. The bars could be weak enough to break in this area.

Corrected Manufactoring Dates

·
Vendor
3,448 Posts
So this means that there will be a new recall part number to replace the improperly machined ones, which means those of us who missed out on a set since they stopped making them can order a set!!!

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
How do you know if the bars were between then? I bought this bike used with them on it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
X2 Just got my letter today. I'm in the same boat they were on the bike when I bought it. Per letter take it to your dealer and let them inspect it. Your dealer will look at the transition from the 1-inch diameter hand grip area to the 1-1/4 inch main crossbar. If there is a sharp line transitions, the bars must be replaced. The inspection and, if necessary, installation of new handlebars will be at no cost to you for parts or labor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There's a pictures on the backside of the recall notice. At the point were the bars taper for the gips there is more of a defined line at that point. These are the recalled ones. The updated barsare more of agraudual design into the grip portion.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I went to Chaparral Motosports (909-889-2761 ext 410)this morning and the service tech, Bobby pulled up the recall notice. There was a Pic and you could tell what the "Sharp" bend was. Bobby gave me the replacement P/N and it is STR-5PX75-12-01.

G

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I still have my new/unused stock handle bars in my garage. $400 and they are yours.

Ok, jokes aside, make sure the dealer doesn't just blow you off, and say, "they look fine." Make them replace the bars, or give you credittowards any other bars, if yours are made during that time frame.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I'm good! I bought mine offa forum memberand the guy I bought them from all ready contacted me and told me mine were originally bought years befor the recall parts were made. I wasat the dealer to see ifthe Road Starbackrest sidearms would (another post)work and just checked into the servicedept to see what was up and to get a replacement p/n for the forum members.Bobby & Iwent out there and checked out the bars. Hewrote up a service order and everything, starting looking for the replacement parts, After comparing the Pics to my bars you could easily see the difference. I was impressed! The parts guys,,,,eh,,,, jury's still out on them.

G

G

·
Administrator
27,877 Posts
I received the recall notice today. The manufacturing dates differ for some reason.

Mine says Fat Double-T handlebars manufactured from August 1st 2008 through July 31st 2009 may have tubing thinner than designed where the bars narrow for the switch housings and grips.

The notice I received is dated August 30th 2010. The back page shows pictures of what the good bars look like, and what the bad bars look like, at the radius point from 1-1/4" diameter to 1" diameter.

This sounds like the same recall notice but the manufacturing dates differ? Or is there more to look for?

I just looked at theYamaha / Star website and couldn't find this recall notice listed yet.

Mr Noize II said:
I received a recall notice for the Yamaha TT Handlebars today. A manufactoring error was discovered where the bars narrow at the switch housing on bars manufactored between August 2009 and July 2010. The metal tubing is thinner than designed. The bars could be weak enough to break in this area.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
This isthe recall notice I received. Notice the MANUFACTURING DATES DIFFER not sure why.

I just received the same letter today. The dates on my letter match yours Arizona. Fortunately, I bought mine back in '05 so I am all good.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, we have the same dates and I corrected the post.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a set of TT bars that I bought off of ebay last year. Because of this I have no idea when they were manufactured. I got the recall notice in the mail a couple days ago, and I studied the pictures, and inspected my bars, but my bars don't look like either picture. There isn't a sharp line transition, but the taper isn't as gradual as the pictures say it should look.

It would be really cool if somebody on here could post some pictures of a set of recalled bars, and a set of the new bars. I'd just rather figure this out by myself rather than trust the morons at the dealer to make a decision.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Scoper50 said:
It would be really cool if somebody on here could post some pictures of a set of recalled bars, and a set of the new bars. I'd just rather figure this out by myself rather than trust the morons at the dealer to make a decision.

That's a very good idea, if someone could post the recall picture too

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Look on the previous page of this post....

AMDMAN_FR said:
Scoper50 said:

That's a very good idea, if someone could post the recall picture too

1 - 20 of 28 Posts