RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 road star s xv1700as. I have cobra speedster longs, no baffles. Was going to change the air filter to a OEM style K&N filter. I've heard from people I need a tuner and I've heard from several others that it's just a waste of money and not to do it. Not sure what to do. I'm also under warranty and don't want to void that in any way. Thanks all, any info is much appreciated!

·
Registered
672 Posts
From what I have heard, slip ons don’t require a tuner. But full exhausts do, especially if you’re putting an aftermarket air system. Without one you could technically lose more power then gain any also. So it’s a good idea to get one. I’m not sure if it would void your warranty or not. Maybe something to check into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
when you do a exhaust and intake mod/ hi flow filters your pushing more air thru which will lean it out. so the technical answer would be you should adjust the fuel with a tuner. If the pipes haven't voided the warranty I don't believe a tuner would

·
Registered
937 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The answer to your question gets debated back and forth a fair amount. Some will tell you you need a fuel tuner and some will tell you it's not necessary. I'm in the not necessary camp, but I fully agree that adding a tuner will increase the power made by allowing the engine to take advantage of its better breathing.
I ran my bike for well over 5,000 miles with aftermarket pipe and big air kit modification and never had an issue with plugs running too hot or too lean. But it's definitely something you want to monitor if you're not running a fuel tuner. The stock ECU can be bumped to increase a little fueling down low in the RPM range. Alternatively the ECU can be flashed by Ivan's performance to change a lot of factors and this frankly is where I would spend my money before I invested in a fuel tuner.
Now after saying all that your bike is different. This is a Road Star Warrior specific forum and I can't speak to the differences between your Road Star and the road star warrior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,166 Posts
Many of us originally bought k&n air filters to fit the stock intakes. I would not go that way again but thst is a different conversation. In any event, they don't provide any significant additional air to a stock system so no tuner needed.

But I'm in the camp that with your 2-2 full aftermarket no-baffle exhaust you need a fuel manager. The Cobra CVT AUTOTUNER is a prime example.

You can verify conditions by removing a spark plug from each jug and inspect plug condition and color. If very-lean then they will be clean instead of proper tan.

If your recent riding prior to inspection is low-rpm stop-and-go the plugs may be darker on inspection. If you hop on the freeway for ten miles and pull a plug without much stop-and-go then it will likely show lean conditions.

If not, then you will know based on your own investigation. But unbaffled longshots remove a lot of backpressure from the stock system and this bike's stock intake air capacity is huge by design and easily allows plenty of additional air thru the system with even stock paper filters when using a full aftermarket unbaffled exhaust.

IMO its worth investigating. Again, remember to check plugs after freeway run with no stop-and-go, and also after an around-town but fully-warm ride. You'll get both stories.

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
I would also hit up the roadstraclinic as those dudes are just as passionate about their bikes and know the roadstar inside and out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts