RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, gang. Suffered a setback at the dragstrip in December with the turbo Warrior. The bike had been running flawlessly, with a best to date ET of 9.81 at 136 mph in the quarter mile at Orlando Speedworld.

I had made two changes to my setup before the night of the wreck; a cooler looking Corbin seat with less of a back stop, and implemented the 2 step launch on the Fusion (Powercommander) controller. I left at 3500 rpm on the 2 step, and when the launch engaged, the bike immediately hooked and went out from under me. Last thing I remember before getting slammed to the ground was the fuel tank right in front of my face.

I hit the ground pretty much on my right side and face, which knocked me out for a couple of minutes. The bike flipped over, landed on the left side of the fuel tank, and blew the fuel fitting out of the bottom of the tank while the bike slid all the way to the 330 foot mark before catching fire.

I ended up with a broken collarbone, three broken ribs, whiplash, and wrist and elbow bruises. Thank God I invested in good safety gear.

The bike didn’t fare so well as you can see in the attached before and after pictures. The before picture was taken right before that pass so you can get an idea of how much work was done to the bike.

I’m still a little achy, but am doing well. Grateful that I’m retired and able to convalesce. The poor Warrior, unfortunately, needs a lot of work, but thankfully did not suffer any structural damage. Everything I can determine, other than the sheet metal of course, is fuel system and electrical related. I either had or found all the replacements already on eBay. Other stuff is also mostly cosmetic. The right side of the bike was unscathed, thankfully which has all the turbo and related manifolding, so good to go there. Overall the biggest nuisance is the fire extinguishing agent which uses a compound that’s highly alkaline and tends to attack uncoated or anodized metals. A small price to pay.

I was asked to post this here, so I will be keeping it updated as the project progresses so you can see the details of the turbo setup as well. I plan to powder coat the frame, do a top end overhaul of the engine, and install my trusty old Corbin stinger seat along with a set of solid wheelie bars.

If you would like to see a video of this train wreck, go to YouTube and search for “Orlando Speedworld gone bad” and enjoy. Note that I left the ZX 14 in the near lane in the dust. Could have been a good pass if I had kept it upright.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to the forum Sam.
I see you've been a member on here for quite a while!

I'll be watching your rebuild with interest.

You may be lucky here with parts and the quicker you get up an running. the better!

Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Sir. I’m waiting for the insurance company to respond to the estimate, to see if they total the bike. If so, I’ll buy it and get a salvage title. I won’t be riding it on the street anymore.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Glad your healing up.

Have a parts needed list? if so post it if I have anything you need I'll donate it to the rebuild.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much, Woody. I managed to source pretty much all the OEM stuff already from eBay. That may change when I get into all the sub assemblies, but so far so good. As always, good to hear from you!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Glad your healing up.

Have a parts needed list? if so post it if I have anything you need I'll donate it to the rebuild.
What a gentleman!

People wonder why we bang on about how good this place is!

Nice one Woody!

:D:cool::)

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
**** Sam that video makes me frakking cry and you are right you were pulling away right up to the moment your Beast stood-up and in that heartbeat that was that. Its a true wide world of sports moment. Heal quick and post video of your next pass so we can cheer you back to the winners circle.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Glad to see you posted this on the forum. And of course I am sure I speak for many that if you need anything all you gotta do is ask.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are the best I’ve been kind of lazy since I retired, and haven’t posted on RSWarrior for awhile, but glad I’m back and grateful to all of you for the fellowship!

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Glad you are ok, that looked bad! Anxious to see the parts list, if I have anything you need will send it your way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It amazes me that your injuries weren't worse. Hope you heal up quickly. That 9.81 @ 136 is very impressive. Do you have a good idea what your HP and Torque were for that run?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
the bike was awesome looking. that's a **** of a face plant. you`re a hard headed man. I'm glad you came out as well as you did. when I was hit by a car the insurance company did me right. they didn't want to but they did. I hope yours treats you well. I'm very interested in your rebirthing of this mean warrior. keep us posted and take it easy. healing is slow. no need to rush it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It amazes me that your injuries weren't worse. Hope you heal up quickly. That 9.81 @ 136 is very impressive. Do you have a good idea what your HP and Torque were for that run?
I’ve never had the turbo package dynoed. I did all my tuning from the Autotune feature. There are some formulas to calculate HP from ET and MPH, but they don’t work well for bikes.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts