RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
I saw somewhere where someone took an inner cooler like you have and cut it down to make it thinner, then welded it all back together. I don't know if it still remains in the search feature after this length of time but might be worth checking into.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I haven't been around much. Mostly due to 3 heart surgeries in a six month period. LOL It gets your attention and certainly prioritizes your life! It's been a busy year.

I like the big intercooler. Two reasons:

Functionality / Temp drop is better. Many suppliers of turbo kits use the cheapest/smallest intercooler because they have no actual experience with anything else. As one Land Speed racing turbo builder called them, "Shite-arsed oil coolers" in place of an intercooler. No surface area to do enough temperature drop and not enough passage way/flow so instead it acts as a big pressure drop at high boost. 10 psi at the turbo, 7 psi at the intake manifold. Not getting what you paid for.

It adds intake volume. In my experience with odd fire V-twins, you need to plan for 8x the cylinder volume in your intake in order to avoid the compressor going into surge. Picture a little tiny intake manifold (500cc worth) at 10 psi suddenly asked to feed a 900cc cylinder when the intake valve opens. You don't get 10 psi of intake into that cylinder. And the poor turbo now surges with relief.

If you build a large intake plenum you can buffer the surge. Many folks want the smallest plenum volume they can get. It makes sense on a V8 or an inline 4 as there is minimal time between intake valve open events, but not so with a V-twin.

Although I don't know specifics about the intercooler in the photos, it looks like it addresses both issues. It's the way I would start, so good on you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Im not cutting intercooler smaller. It fits nice where it is, somehow reminds me of 2gen vmax cooler design :D And with mods for forks, intercooler dont hit fender at braking.

For forks: Stiffer springs, making them 3-4cm longer and if thats not enough im going to reduce travel. Making internal bumpstops or something :cool:

Intercooler was ment for 2.8 Mitsubishi Pajero as a Upgrade cooler. It has 200mmx240mmx50mm core size and outlets are 45mm. Pipes are build from 45mm inner size piping.
Should have enough cooling and flow for my needs.

Im not planning to build plenum, just piping from throttle bodies to y pipe to intercooler.
I try to make same lenght pipes for both cylinders to get even fill.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
its looking great. im interested to see this continue. its pretty much together now isn't it?
No :D Many many things to do, intercooler bracket and piping, bracket for wastegate actuator, i have to powdercoat many parts, header and exhaust wrapping to black, oil lines, bigger injectors, airlines for mapsensor etc...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I need advice with my oil return line.

How high bung must be located at stator cover?

with an10 lines i have very small space to work with and now it seems i have to put an10 bung lower to stator cover than i hoped.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Here is some update, modded rear fender angle and modded seat to sit lower. Now it looks good!
Made intercooler pipe, modded rear brake light switch to have room for piping, made 16mm return flange to turbo and welded aluminium pipe to stator cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Todays work:
Turned wastegate lever 90 degrees, made bracket for wastegate actuator and made longer rod for actuator.

Test fitted oil return pipe with compressor side and it sits nice and tight ?

Then dissassembled parts and prepared some parts for powdercoating.

Header is going to be sand blasted at monday and then vht painted.

Exhaust i allready painted flatblack, its going to get wrapped next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Kevi,
Greetings from Lithuania,
I have noticed licence plate holder for big ass EU plates, could you share a maker of these?
Nice winter project u got, best of luck!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hello Kevi,
Greetings from Lithuania,
I have noticed licence plate holder for big ass EU plates, could you share a maker of these?
Nice winter project u got, best of luck!!
Hello ☺ It was from ebay. Here is link:

I modded it little. I drilled holes to plateholder little closer to the tire

21 - 40 of 72 Posts