RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn signals go out after about 10min of riding. I have figures out the green or brown wire is coming loose inside the blue connector.....not sure which one as I'm pushing on them both but I'm almost positive it's the green one. I have taken them out and re-inserted and heard the click so I know they are seated but one keeps coming loose and losing its connection. Any tricks to tighten this up? I've thought about using some dielectric grease and see if that helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Warrior XV1700
13 Posts
Since you can get the wires out you can try a couple things, try taking a pair of needle nose pliers and crushing the part that grips the wire a little more, if the connection is loose then that can help it gain connection. But be careful you dont wanna go all ugga dugga gorilla on this otherwise you can make it worse.

Another thing you can do is to strip the wire back a tiny bit behind the crimp, and lay a tiny bead of solder between the wire and the connector, this makes a good solid connection, but you have to make sure to reweather proof the wire using heat shrink or something similar otherwise the wires will be exposed to the elements and each other

Honestly it really depends on where the break is, worst case is pick up a set of bullet connectors and just clip out the connector and just connect the wires up with the bullets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you can get the wires out you can try a couple things, try taking a pair of needle nose pliers and crushing the part that grips the wire a little more, if the connection is loose then that can help it gain connection. But be careful you dont wanna go all ugga dugga gorilla on this otherwise you can make it worse.

Another thing you can do is to strip the wire back a tiny bit behind the crimp, and lay a tiny bead of solder between the wire and the connector, this makes a good solid connection, but you have to make sure to reweather proof the wire using heat shrink or something similar otherwise the wires will be exposed to the elements and each other

Honestly it really depends on where the break is, worst case is pick up a set of bullet connectors and just clip out the connector and just connect the wires up with the bullets.
Thanks. I'll look into this later today. No riding for me anyways.....rear tire is shot and been waiting over a week for the new one.

·
Premium Member
9,076 Posts
My turn signals go out after about 10min of riding. I have figures out the green or brown wire is coming loose inside the blue connector.....not sure which one as I'm pushing on them both but I'm almost positive it's the green one. I have taken them out and re-inserted and heard the click so I know they are seated but one keeps coming loose and losing its connection. Any tricks to tighten this up? I've thought about using some dielectric grease and see if that helps. Thanks.
  • Dark Green Wire = RH turn signal
  • Dark Brown (Chocolate) wire = LH turn signal
Does the LED Turn Signal Indicator (LTSI) operate on the Speedo Display?
If the LTSI lights up and the signal light doesn't then the issue is with bulb (if stock) or the wiring to the component.
If the LTSI doesn't light up and the intermittent issue is with both the LH or RH signals then I would suspect the Brown/White wire from the Denso flasher to the Turn Signal Switch in the Opaque 6-Pin connector.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
  • Dark Green Wire = RH turn signal
  • Dark Brown (Chocolate) wire = LH turn signal
Does the LED Turn Signal Indicator (LTSI) operate on the Speedo Display?
If the LTSI lights up and the signal light doesn't then the issue is with bulb (if stock) or the wiring to the component.
If the LTSI doesn't light up and the intermittent issue is with both the LH or RH signals then I would suspect the Brown/White wire from the Denso flasher to the Turn Signal Switch in the Opaque 6-Pin connector.
When i first take off on the bike, the indicator flashes normally at the speedometer until after about ten minutes of riding, the actual signal works as it should also. Then both indicators flash at the speedometer (like a hazard light signal would) and the actual signal does not flash as it should. I'll get home, take off the headlight and check the brown and green wires at the blue connector. Everything looks normal but I push in on them anyways, put everything back together and the signals work as normal until I ride again. Not sure if the wires are slightly backing themselves out from the vibration of the bike, but I've taken them out with a pick, reinsert them and hear the click so I know they're seated. I haven't checked the crimp on part yet, this could be the culprit as I used a string to pull the wires through the handlebars and I could have pulled one loose.

·
Premium Member
9,076 Posts
@NCPT ... Sounds like you did Internal Wiring of the Handle Bars. Is that correct?
Did you extract the crimped terminals from the Hitachi connector to extend the bar wiring?
The visible bottom row of wiring that you have in-hand is assembled correctly :)
  • I've never experienced an issue with the terminals backing out of the plastic connector but this could occur if the plastic tab within the connector is broken or there is damage to the brass terminal.
  • Are you still running the stock OEM front & rear signals?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@NCPT ... Sounds like you did Internal Wiring of the Handle Bars. Is that correct?
Did you extract the crimped terminals from the Hitachi connector to extend the bar wiring?
The visible bottom row of wiring that you have in-hand is assembled correctly :)
  • I've never experienced an issue with the terminals backing out of the plastic connector but this could occur if the plastic tab within the connector is broken or there is damage to the brass terminal.
  • Are you still running the stock OEM front & rear signals?
Yes, I internally wired my handlebars and I also took each crimped section of wire out of the connectors with a pick. That picture was one of many before I originally took them apart so I would know what order they go back together. The bike came with led signals and they worked just fine before internal wiring. Like I say though, I can take the headlight out and push on the wires in that picture and the flashers work just fine. I thought I had it fixed the last time I done it but the flashers quit working after 30-45 min of riding. Thanks for trying to help.

·
Premium Member
9,076 Posts
I would suggest you also check the Opaque 6-pin 5- wire connector. This connector powers the turn signal and the holding circuit for the Denso turn signal device, assuming it's still in use.
Gl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back after installing a new rear tire. Went with a 190mm avon cobra chrome and so far I like it, just need to let some air our since the ride was a little rough but it handled the turns great.

Anyway, I rode for about an hr and the turn signals are still working after dabbing a little dielectric grease in there yesterday. It looks like the dark green wire is not seating tight. I tried adjusting the crimp for a tighter fit and used the grease. So far, so good since this is the longest it's lasted since the handlebar swap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts