RS Warrior Forum banner

turn your empty coffin into a storage compartment

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Chomorro 
#1 ·
Parts list: 12 #10x32x1/2" cap head screws, 12 #10 locking nuts, 1 package of corner reinforcing plates... these should all be at your local hardware store. Also i used 2 RV push latches that i got from my work ut should be available in any RV store such as camping world... i used the 5# latches. All total it was about $40 in parts.

After I did my DIY VBAK, I decided to keep my coffin and ran the breathers I to it. I will also be using this area as a storage/electrical hub area for accessorys and switches so I wanted to be able to remove the cover without taking the backing off the motor. I designedgned this setup to make the cover removable, securely mounted when not removed, and as stealthy as possible. First, take your coffin that you already removed from your VBAK conversion and remove the chrome cover... 3 screws from the back side. Then while working on chrome cover.. trim the two ribs on each side down to where the "dome" starts. This is where you will mount the corner reinforcing plates. They need to be a little more than 1/8" below the edge. Mark the holes and drill 2 holes for the mounting screws. Repeat for other side. Install the plates with 2 screws and 2 locknuts each side. Then I used the "heavy duty" hook from the latch package, drilled out mounts to match the plates and installed with 2 screws and 2 nuts each. Set cover aside and start working on backing plate. You can see from the pictures about where to mount these.. mark and drill so that the "latch" that sticks up is just beow flush with the edge. Mount with 2 screws and 2 nuts each. Now, if you did everything correctly, line up the cover and press it to the backing plate.. should hear a nice pop and the cover should sit just like if it were screwed on there. Now to get it back off, just pull straight out.. may have to give a little tug.. these are 5# latches. And there you go.. you now have removable cover for your storage .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Also... forgot to mention, if you use longer screws to mount the latches inside the lid, you could use a piece of aluminium or something to run between the corner brackets and make the lid a handy storage pocket for your tool pouch or your insurance documents and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.