RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was installing new plugs and whille tightening the right rear I twisted it in to. Pics are below. I was able to use an easy out to retrieve the threaded part. None of the porcelan broke and the washer came out also. After installing another plug I tried to crank it and it poped real hard and stalled . After a couple of times doing that it cranked up and ran fine, I rode it the rest of the day , approx 75 miles . My question is could this have harmed anything?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I've done this before on a car. The threads look OK abd if it popped real hard and the plug stayed in, that's the only thing I'd have worried about.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well it looks like you got everything out & no missing pieces, you should be OK.

Not sure why it popped & stalled when started, you could run a compression test or take a peek into the cylinder with a bore scope if you feel the need but if it runs good consider yourself lucky & next time dont tighten the plugs so tight.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,718 Posts
Its possible some porcelain fell into the jug thru the threaded portion of the lower metal case (jacket) which is hollow. On the good side,its good the'center electrode' and 'side electrode' both remain intact
and from this pic I don't see any chunks of porcelain insulator tip missing.

I would guess 75 miles of riding would tell the tale if immediate harm was possible. Mabe you lucked out!

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,718 Posts
That's a new NGK plug. What was the torque?

Here's their chart. The first letter of the plug part# is "D" so its 12mm thread.

In Aluminum that's 10.8~14.5 lb-ft. Not much. Do you think it was a bad plug or were you in an extra-stong mood

Spark plug type
Thread Diameter
Cast Iron Cylinder Head (lb-ft.)
Aluminum Clyinder Head (lb-ft.)

Flat seat type (with gasket)

18 ø mm

25.3~32.5

25.3~32.5

"

14 ø mm

18.0~25.3

18.0~21.6

"

12 ø mm

10.8~18.0

10.8~14.5

"

10 ø mm

7.2~10.8

7.2~8.7

"

8 ø mm
--

5.8~7.2

Conical seat type (without gasket)

18 ø mm

14.5~21.6

14.5~21.6

Conical seat type (without gasket)

14 ø mm

10.8~18.0

7.2~14.5

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arizona Warrior said:
Do you think it was a bad plug or were you in an extra-stong mood

Im one of those people that if the instructions say one turn is OK , I say then three should be GREAT.

I will be using my torque wrench next time. Thanks for the info Arizona

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mrpix said:
Hey Randy backoff on the wheaties man!!!

LOL!!! I know thats right!!!

How ya been Ron ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts