RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the 2008 has 655 miles in it now. I did the 600 mile change a couple weeks ago.

Here are my problems:

Around the base of the push rod cylinder, I have an ever so slight oil leak. The oil is coming from the base of the push rod cylinder where it connects to the bottom part of the engine (towards the bottom of the stock air filter area). I tightened the two screws that connect thebase of the push rods, but I am afraid to tightening them too tight, in fear of striping the bolt. The oil leak does not puddle or drip;It's more of an smalloil film that is coming where the push rod connects to the base of the engine.

Next:

I have adjusted my idel to 950-975 RPM's. However, sometimes the idel will mysteriouslybe at 1100 RPM's at idel. I then have to take my seat off and re-adjust the idel. It stays at 950-875 RPM's for a few days,then out of the blue it will start ideling at 1100 RPM's again.

Any guess on my two questions will help me a bunch!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Try setting the idle after riding the bike for at least 20 minutes.

The oil leak should be covered under warranty. You could try sealing it from the outside. Score some clear RTV silicone. Clean the area throughly & put on a small bead Wipe off the excess & let it dry overnight.

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
I dont know about the oil leak,Iv'e never heard of anyone having that problem,but as far as your idle problem,it sounds like what my friends bike did exactly,and his was a bad LCV. We just disconnected his,and Ijust took mine off because I was sick of the high idle.It could be most anything,but at least that's somewhere to start.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm hoping by tigtening the bolts, the oil leak will stop. It's just a small film of oil, no dripping or puddling. I'll keep and eye on it and if it doesn't stop, I guess the dealer will have to fix it :(

What is the LCV? I hope I don't have a bad LCV with only 655 miles on it.

On the plus side, I got the rear wheel to brake lose today. I was going about 25 mph and let off the throttle, then slammed the throttle wide open. The rear wheel broke loose just for a second. I was pleased none the less.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Try adjusting the idle when the engine is fully warmed up. As far as breaking the rear tire loose-you'll have that. Get used to buying rear tires. It's worth it!!

·
Administrator
30,111 Posts
C'Mon guys, it has 600 miles on it. Its not really broken in yet. Give it a little time!

Here's what I would do. 1) Yes, very lightly and softly tighten the bolts a little teeny bit to see if the oil leak stops. Its aluminum don't screw it up. If it still leaks take it backto the dealer and don't admit trying to tighten the bolts. 2) No, stop adjusting your idle. It'll smooth out by itself. Let all the bits and parts and slides get used to working. And for heaven's sake forget about the LCV. The bike is too new, lets just say it's still stiff and needs to loosen up.

BURNOUTS ARE GOOD I smoked it off the dealer's lot the day I bought it new in Jan'03. I say break it in fast. In fact, someplace there's a very good post about how to break your bike in fast. Lots of opinions, its a good read. But you'll have to search for it!

fake said:
i'm hoping by tigtening the bolts, the oil leak will stop. It's just a small film of oil, no dripping or puddling. I'll keep and eye on it and if it doesn't stop, I guess the dealer will have to fix it : What is the LCV? I hope I don't have a bad LCV with only 655 miles on it.

On the plus side, I got the rear wheel to brake lose today. I was going about 25 mph and let off the throttle, then slammed the throttle wide open. The rear wheel broke loose just for a second. I was pleased none the less.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I remember way back when my bike was new the engine had a thin protective coating on it like cosmoline, it was like a waxy substance that would come out of no-where after the bike warmed up. after several good washings & heat cycles it was gone.

Wash your engine with warm soapy water & rinse & keep on eye on it.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
My friend's bike with the bad LCV only had only 920 miles on it,so it's not to far out of the question.Some new parts do go bad.But like arizona said ride a while if it dont clear up have it checked.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1fast1 said:
I remember way back when my bike was new the engine had a thin protective coating on it like cosmoline, it was like a waxy substance that would come out of no-where after the bike warmed up. after several good washings & heat cycles it was gone.

Wash your engine with warm soapy water & rinse & keep on eye on it.

Mike

Ya, I'm thinking it might be little bit of grese for when yamaha assembled to bike. Maybe it's taken it this long for the grease to ooze out. It looksdirty brown, not like the clean oil I put in a few weeks ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts