RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that ugly sticker is under clear coat and can't be removed on the '08's? I'm still gonna try. I hate it! Any suggestions? Is a complete strip and paint job needed to remove it? Thanks. Ruckus

·
Administrator
5,905 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to remove the paint down to the decal and remove the decal. They just use a filler,like bondo or something better to match the surfaces so its smooth again and repaint.Maybe a painter will chime in.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If it's like the prior years decals, you're not going to get that off without having to repaint. You can just repaint that area if you have a reasonable design that will fit that area (checkered flags work). Unfortunatly, based upon experience, it's no less work and possibly more work to repaint the area where the decal is than the entire entire tank.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yup, its a re paint alright. I had a small ding in one side so since I was getting it fixed I had the decals removed and the whole tank painted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
.Not real sure what the going labor rate is in FLA., I live in Georgia and have been painting for thirty years...if you are a friend, anywhere from 75.00 to 150.00...take itto a reputable shop and they are going to want about 300.00. Remember in dealing with people yor not familiar with... you get what you pay for, lowball ain't always the best route

·
Registered
10 Posts
i beleave it's on top of the paint, it just looks like it's under cause it's so thin. i used a 3m adhesive remover. soaked a rag ad got the sticker wet a few times then started to peel carfully with my finger nail. just take alot of patients not to damage the paint.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Marcus said:
i beleave it's on top of the paint, it just looks like it's under cause it's so thin. i used a 3m adhesive remover. soaked a rag ad got the sticker wet a few times then started to peel carfully with my finger nail. just take alot of patients not to damage the paint.

This is good news. Can you post a pic of the tank after the sticker removal. I have a midnight tank that I was going to have painted, but I may try your method first. Can anyone else confirm that they have done this?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
My findings are that the sticker is on top of the paint but under the clear. the clear is thickest at edge of sticker. I traced the edge of the sticker with a very small regular screw driver. The clear buildup at the edge of the sticker will guide the screwdriver quite nicely with minimal pressure. The result is access to the edge of the sticker. A good blow dryer will get hot enough to peel that puppy off in one peice. Plenty of heat is key. Whats left is a pretty good lip of clear. If you try to block this down it is impossible. You will end up bare metal where the sticker was in a hurry. So glaze the void thinly and prep for your repaint!! Color change is easy. As long as you prep correctly. Meaning taking the peel out of Original clear with say 600 and guide coating the glazed areas to make sure they are right you should be able to do a simple re paint on the cheap. The day those stickers came off my tank and Indigo changed to Black was a good one. This is relevant on my 02.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts