RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I may already have the answer for this problem, myself, but I figure a few twisted minds are better than one in my kitchen.

My bike just passed 16k miles on the odometer, about a week or so ago, and yesterday, while riding out to the coast I noticed an ugly dead/flat spot at anything over 2500RPM where the bike would sort of choke or buckle under me. It never shut off and it's smooth as butter below 2500RPM but as soon as I get cruising on the highway on 5th gear, she starts to buckle. I'm thinking maybe it's time to get the valves checked/adjusted and replace the spark plugs. What's your thoughts, oh Warrior mad scientist friends of mine?

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
It still sounds like theTPS but let's try something else first.Do the plugs first and clean/oil your filters.

Itcould be aflat spot in the fuel supply at that particular rpm.You can adjustthe ECU but it will adjust the complete mixture and not just that rpm.. If you have a PCIII you simply find that spot on your fuel map and add a little more fuel to it, or subtract it if it's too rich. The PCIII is a blessing.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I'd swap it for my wife's VStar 650 and then you can have a flat spot everywhere
. I'll even deliver it so you won't be bothered by the highway driving. Best part is that you won't have to worry about speeding tickets except in school zones.

·
Administrator
29,677 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My brain started chanting "CPS CPS CPS...." half way through reading your post because of the similarities between what you're seeing and how similar it is to so many previous post that ended up being CPS failures. One thing I noticed though is you said "anything over 2500RPM", not just the 2500 range like most experience, so maybe it's not CPS afterall. Considering you did the recall it would seem odd but I'm sure it's not out of the question though.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to just adjust that area of your map with your PCIII as suggested though.It seems to me that wouldjust serve to mask and potentially worsen the problem. Trying some Techron might help but dirty injectors would be more eratic and noticeable all over I'd think.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Marco Polo said:
I'm not so sure it's a good idea to just adjust that area of your map with your PCIII as suggested though.It seems to me that wouldjust serve to mask and potentially worsen the problem.
Since this is a problem that is just now occuring and hadn't in the past, I'd have to agree with Marco on the map suggestion and should be used as a last resort. When we spoke the other day it sounded like the plugs and cleaned filters made it run smoother. Hopefully you've found that it cleared up the problem.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, kids, time for an update:

I went ahead and changed the spark plugs (PITA
) and the right side air filter, the other day, and finally had a chance to take it for a ride from here to Daytona Beach today and she's smoothed right out. I guess I just needed new plugs - I'm almost at 17k miles. Do you guys suggest that I should have the valves checked anyway? I seem to be reading, quite a lot, in this forum that most of you didn't actually get the valves adjusted at 16k so.....what's the deal?

Duke, thank you, again, for checking on the progress of the bike - all is well!

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I wouldn't get to excited about your valve clearances. They're hydraulic lifters and the only thing that changes is the clearance from the one valve to it's twin. They're a REAL pain to get to and whenever I've checked mine they've been fine. A problem like you described will almost always be fuel or spark.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks Marco, me too! It was a terrible couple of hours without my bike *sniff sniff* LOL the dudes from up north are gonna send hate mail for that one, I tell ya!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Meatball said:
I wouldn't get to excited about your valve clearances. They're hydraulic lifters and the only thing that changes is the clearance from the one valve to it's twin. They're a REAL pain to get to and whenever I've checked mine they've been fine. A problem like you described will almost always be fuel or spark.

+1

I have 40k on mine and have never had an issue with valve clearances.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts