Ok, got the front wheel off preparatory to changing the tire. Here's what I've found after a preliminary check-out
1. Bearings are solid.
2. Forks mounted evenly, pre-load is the same. (May check fluid levels next)
3. Did have a very minor leak in the right (sitting on the bike) last summer, stopped with a cleaning of the seals.
4. Brake calipers and pads are fine. I did flush the brake system last fall and added Castrol Full-Synth DOT 4 but they gave no indications of trouble.
5. Curiously, nobody mentioned tire balancing
but it is.
6. And then there is this
....about a full notch difference from pulley (4.8) to exhaust (5.75) sides in rear-wheel alignment measuring from the adjustment bolt rearward. This puts the axle on the pulley side further back and the wheel pointing left of center. By how many degrees at the leading edge of the tire I don't know but it's got to be fairly significant, especially at 120+mph
Not sure how that happened. I think I may have measured from the bolt on one side, then the aft end on the other or something. One thing is sure, I don't remember double-checking it after a ride or two.
Also, it appears there ought to be a washer under the axle nut and I don't recall ever seeing it either. Perhaps that's part of the problem.
In any event, a new tire is on the way, I'll make the proper adjustment and go from there soon as it's warm enough to let her out of my dining room.
I'm thinking Bladerunr
takes it. Man, this is a fairly expensive
lesson but could have been a lot worse
given the roads and speeds I ride.