RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 17 yrs and +42,000 miles my Early Barnett Custom Straight End Clutch Cable has been slowly deteriorating, over several years, at the Engine End to Clutch Cable Bracket unnoticed.
Failing Casing/Sheathing beneath Vinyl Cover @ Engine End of Cable.

Failing Casing/Sheathing beneath Vinyl Cover @ Engine End of Cable.

Failing Casing/Sheathing beneath Vinyl Cover @ Engine End of Cable causes excessive cable play & difficulty finding Neutral.

New replacement cable purchased July 2022

·
Premium Member
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you measure them to see the amount of stretch ?
Rick, Yes, after removal I checked the casing length. It shrunk approx .250"-.375" on the bottom end. .
Keep in mind that the casing is in compression, when the clutch lever is operated, and it had a retained memory and would return to its original length overnight with the proper cable free-play.
There was no problem running through the gears until I parked the bike to put into neutral and no issues walking away when stopped @ a light in gear. Because the casing was shrinking the clutch lever acted as if it needed adjustment as you would expect. I knew my clutch plates weren't slipping which would cause expansion and was quite baffled.
The deterioration of the casing occurred over several years and finally became visible when I pulled the cable to do a thorough inspection of the assembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts