RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys/gals are riding and have another motorcyle coming towards you, do you always wave, head knod or some gesture to acknowledge the other rider? It seems now days many riders don't acknowledge the other riders. New "class" of rider now days, or maybe just the F.U. attitude of society in general.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
depends on a few things. depends on the road Im on. divided 4 lane...nope 1 lane each way country road... yep. first nice day of weather in the spring when you see 50,000 bikes out. I'll wave at a lot of them but not all. when rolling thunder comes to town. nope and I dont think its expected with that many bikes.

I will say one thing though I will ALWAYS wave back to someone that waves to me as long as it is safe for me to do so. I cant stand when I wave at people and they refuse to wave back

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Just look at it this way and it wont bother you anymore

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/12521...p=319161&sid=52e7a193dd45fa27b6d47d94908e50ce

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Sportbikers Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to
unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-carbon fiber-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

·
Registered
894 Posts
+1

SmaShitUp(mike7202) said:
I will say one thing though I will ALWAYS wave back to someone that waves to me as long as it is safe for me to do so. I cant stand when I wave at people and they refuse to wave back

·
Registered
692 Posts
I wave but only if I am waved at first, and even then, only ifthe other ridergives me the low profile wave (arm at approx 30 degrees index finger outstretched in a pointing motion). Any other wave style is not reciprocated - yougotta have some principles. Other factors also come into play, helmet color of oncoming motocylist, bike make and model, gender of other rider, the number of oncoming motorcyclists, obstuctions between me and oncomingbike trafficthat could block my wave from being seen. All of this information is quickly processed, and a decision to wave or not to wave is relayed to my waving arm. All the while I also take into consideration the fact that maybe the approachingrider also only waves when waved to, in which case I may choose to "initiate" the wave.However wave hesitation can cause said wave initiationto occur at such a time when the other biker does not have adequate time to reciprocate and would in effect be returning the wave after we have already passed - which requires me to check my mirror for a return wave - in all a very complicated process, the nuance of the wave should not be underestimated....

Sorry couldn't resist.

Actually, I'll pretty much always wave regardless of who it is, although I do draw the line a scooters...if someone is too cool to wave then no big deal

·
Registered
510 Posts
I wave to anybody out there ridin. Most sportbike riders dont wave back because there too busy sticking their finger in their ass.. Some Harley riders dont wave but it comes with the turf of being feared and respected.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
If I'm riding the gsx-r then I wave to everyone except Harley riders because they think they're better than everyone else. If I'm riding the Harley then I only wave to other Harley riders because we're better than anyone else.
Just kiddin'. I wave to other riders all the time no matter what I'm riding. Unless they're on a moped/scooter because that's just gay. hahahaha!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if the problem is the Harley riders or people's attitudes towards them, since I ride both the Warrior and a Harley Dresser. I wave all the time, no matter what I'm on. Less people will wave to me first when I am on the dresser than on the Warrior

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I wave to everyone. More of the 30 degree down-low point (because I'm cool like that and that's how I roll)

What KILLS me is the freakin scooters here feel like the thing to do is to hit the Meeep Meep horn to other bikes (They're usually tourists on rentals)...I used to love the speedstar pipe on the warrior or even the two brother pipes on the VStrom, I'd rev it up when they honked.....which in my mind said...."Screw your meep meep....ride a real bike"

Not sure what I'll do on the FJR. Seasons coming.

I had the Steibel air horn on the Vstrom, that used to scare em....maybe I need one on the FJR.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Like the other have said in the past, I think I am based on current situation.

Am I riding alone? Wave Back...

Riding with the Star Group, I am road captain, I will initiate a Wave. Were a friendly bunch.

Riding with my wife as passenger, I never wave. SHE WAVEs TO EVERYONE! Its like driving the friggin Queen of England around or something...no offense to any England Warriors on here. lol

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I wave, heck even took my eyes off the road at WFIII to wave then crashed (the est.105 mph didnt help) but I am a friendly rider and as I read once in a bike mag. "If you dont wave back...thats ok. I was waving at the bike anyway"

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
BJINFIDEL said:
Riding with my wife as passenger, I never wave. SHE WAVEs TO EVERYONE! Its like driving the friggin Queen of England around or something...no offense to any England Warriors on here. lol

or Queens "drag or other wise"...lol

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Sin_City_Warrior said:
When you guys/gals are riding and have another motorcyle coming towards you, do you always wave, head knod or some gesture to acknowledge the other rider? It seems now days many riders don't acknowledge the other riders. New "class" of rider now days, or maybe just the F.U. attitude of society in general.
Lotsa NOOBS out there. Lotsa Harleys out there that won't wave to any one with a full face helmet on either. Jugheads I guess. HeII, I ain't losin' no sleep over it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wave to most anyone, most people wave back in the beginning of the season.

I do not wave to the mini cycles though

·
Registered
244 Posts
Shag said:
I wave to other riders all the time no matter what I'm riding. Unless they're on a moped/scooter because that's just gay. hahahaha!

What's the hardest part about riding a scooter??

Telling your dad you're gay!!!

I don't wave at scooters or dirtbikes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
most people wave, no big deal, attitudes, or they just wish they had a warrior, But i'm still waving to those freaks with the ape hanngers, i like to see a right turn when they wave back.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I tend to wave to most people depending on ability (i.e. traffic, road condition etc.) at the time

of the pass. Sometimes though there's just to many bikes throughout the days ride, then I'll

return waves but not initiate.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I wave at almost everyone unless I'm passing them
. I make a point to wave to kids on bikes under the age of 12 on bikes because they are the next generation of riders (also, they grin real big and wave wildy back most of the time). If other bikers don't wave back, I just pretent that I was pointing out the dead possum in the road that they are about to run over. LOL I don't wave to golf carts (there areover 10,000+ of them where I live without making up that number), but I do rap the pipes at them to let them know that I'm coming by. The only bikes that I don't wave at are the po-po bikes as they have no sense of humor and just write tickets anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts