RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a used warrior for sale, I asked the guy about the recall and he knew nothing about it? What happends if I was to buy the bike from him without the recall performed by the original owner? It seems the recall is a big one for Yamaha? Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Recall is a Recall. It has to be done by Yamaha regardless if you are the 2nd or 3rd owner. Recall's are safety issue's that are required by law to be corrected or replaced by the manufacturer, Yamaha at their cost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey TheMule, no problemo man. Yamaha will fix the beast no matter what. In/out of warranty, original/new owner makes no difference, Yamaha will stand behind there product! All you gota do is make an appointment with your dealer, giveum your VIN, and they will call ya when they get the recall kit. It's that simple, I did it last Friday the 23rd. BUY THE BIKE!!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I think all you will need is a bill of sale from the original owner, I would make sure that the VIN shows up on Yamaha's base as I ran into that problem with my Hawaii based bike. Better yet why not have him set up the recall work before you by it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The updated recall is for ALL 02' 03' raodstars and warriors. If he knows nothing about it, then I'd say it hasn't been done. Take it to your local dealer to have a kit ordered for your bike(or bike to be as it were) and you should have no problems. I beleive you have to have the bike there to order the kit at this point, due to the backorder of recall kits. But that may depend on the dealer.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't think it matters. Every bike is being recalled, and Yamaha will attempt to get ahold of everyone through a list of currently registered and tagged motorcycles. I'm 2nd owner and am hoping I'll get a notice just to prove this point. If they go by original owners, they'll have many people who are not notified and that is a saftey issue as well.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I'm the 3rd owner - and the dealer has a kit on order. Yamaha said I'd need a bill of sale and the dealer didn't say anything about it. I mean it's like "a bill of sale"? Like I still have that. The recall will get done regardless. If they want proof its my bike - they can call the bank that has the title.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Im the second owner and mine is going to be done If the Fing kits ever get hear!

Trex[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
A guys is selling his RSW and knows "nothing" about the recall.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Reminds me of Sgt. Schultz, "I Zee Nothing.... Nothing.... !"

·
Registered
484 Posts
Can you say buyer beware? I wonder how many bikes are going to get the punch mark and still be running the original trans parts. Be ascared be very ascared.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(((((Can you say buyer beware? I wonder how many bikes are going to get the punch mark and still be running the original trans parts. Be ascared be very ascared))).

That is what bothers me about the recall, is that motor and drive tran( FROM THE LOOKS OF THE RECALL) has to be completly disassembled and reassembled. Now you have to worry about if the kid that just graduated from ITT working on your bike. Now that it is tapperd with and if one thing is not torqed to spec, that can cause problems in the future??? I guess that is the chance you take!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(((((Can you say buyer beware? I wonder how many bikes are going to get the punch mark and still be running the original trans parts. Be ascared be very ascared))).

That is what bothers me about the recall, is that motor and drive tran( FROM THE LOOKS OF THE RECALL) has to be completly disassembled and reassembled. Now you have to worry about if the kid that just graduated from ITT working on your bike. Now that it is tapperd with and if one thing is not torqed to spec, that can cause problems in the future??? I guess that is the chance you take!

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
Chance you take with anything. I just had a guy with almost 40 years of service working in shops on cars screw up the electrical system on my truck. Crap happens

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Fortunately, I have a service manager in the same boat as us (he has a new Roadstar - RECALLED) and rules his shop with a freaking iron fist. I'm not worried.

I talked to Yamaha customer service earlier this week to try to get the low-down on these kits. He told me they're cranking them out (in Japan) as fast as they can - shipping to three U.S. warehouses to fulfil orders from dealers. He said over 30,000 bikes are effected. Let's see - 30,000 X 12 hours labor each = 360,000 hours. 360,000 hours divided by 24 hours (1 day) = 15,000 days. 15,000 days divided by 365 (days in a year) = 41.09 years. So, I am 45. At this pace - I should be back onboard the old Warrior when I am 86.

As Howard Dean would say, "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

PS - Math/Algebra was the only C in college... LOL! - Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like I said earlier I am looking at a used one. I wonder if the recall is going to have a effect on the value of the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts