RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I an a noob here, coming off a freshly sold 2002 R6 that I owned since new, and after reading through this forum, it seems that nobody gets worked up about this kind of topic being posted on multiple occasions...

So, I live in the Twin Cities, and am looking at a 2005 Midnight Warrior with 1000 miles on it, with staggered Reinharts and a PCIII that was mapped for the Reinharts without a custom dyno run. Also, no recalls were done.

After taking it for a test spin (which was pretty cool, BTW), and talking price, it sounds like his bottom dollar is $9000.

First off, what else should I ask about this bike? I plan on asking about:

[*]Warranty [*]Service / installation of parts records [*]Type of oil used [/list]

Anything I might have missed?

Also, do you think the price is fair with the mileage and mods?

Any and all comments are much appreciated!

Thanks!
~J.P.

Oh, and here's a picture...

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
price seems a tad bit high. You should be able to find a left over new warrior for around 10k. Used ones are running 6 to 8k. Since the only mods done are pipes and a pcIII, there is nothing really special about the bike. Only recalls on the '05 is the tps and the cps, so no real big deal there.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Though you can get a new one of previous years for 10k, unless you like the stock pipes, you've
got 11k into right off the bat. But, it's a good negotiation point on this or any other used bike.
Personally, I don't think I'd pay 9k for a warrior, even with only 1000 miles on it. I've ridden mine
for 50k miles and know I'd just lose money. I'd buy one cheap with under 10k and ride it for 5 years and
take less of a loss. That's just me though.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Yeah, you can get a new one for a bit more, those those mods are gonna cost you $$$$ on top of that. If you plan on adding pipes, etc, buy a used one with that stuff already installed. These things depreciate fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kind of a bummer. I was hoping these depreciated slower than a sportbike...

I guess I could offer him 8500 and see if he wants to get rid of it. It just is getting warm enough to ride here again, so I'm sure more bikes will go up for sale pretty quick...

I have also been tossing around the idea of getting a FZ1 or a FJR... I really liked the look of the warrior, but if these depreciate fast, I might be better off looking at something else.

There just aren't many of these for sale right now. This was the only midnight I found around here.

EDIT: You mods are confusing me! I posted it here originally to not find it when I came back and it was moved to General discussion, and then I came back to general discussion and it was moved back here... Make up your mind! LOL

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well, the bike itself is probably worth 6500-7gs on tradein for him, so figure an extra 500 for private sale, and another 750 or so for mods, I wouldnt want to pay much over 8000$ for it. Its a low mileage midnight though, with *excelelnt* pipes, so I wouldnt be too broke up about it if it came in at 8250 or so.

JT

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
If I were in your shoes and was able to get it for $8500.00, I'd probably go for it. With only 1000 miles on it it is barely broke in. If it has any warranty left that would be an added bonus. I agree that if you found a great deal on a new one you'd have $10,500.00 to $11000.00 into it after you got the mods that are already on the used one. Those numbers indicate that most of the depreciation will be covered by the original owner.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Yup - I'd agree at $8500. I bought mine a year old with 2600 miles for that price in '03. I was still able to get new bike financing (5%). That's something to consider as well. A new bike at 10k at 5% might be cheaper than a used bike for 9k at 10%...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it seems as though he's stuck on 9,000... I guess it comes down to whether I want it bad enough or not. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jipmann

I really liked the look of the warrior, but if these depreciate fast, I might be better off looking at something else.

Don't buy a Japanese bike for any other reason than to ride the snot out of it. They are disposable toys. Some people try to keep the miles low and keep the paint sparkling and everything perfect just to sell it and take a big loss. If you want something to hold resale think stocks and bonds. Buy a motorcycle to ride it, period.

Instead of looking for one with less than 5k miles, look for one with 10-12k miles just like Washington Warrior said. These bikes will last for 100k miles easy, if you don't start jacking with the motors. So there's your start.... Enjoy![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DFW_Warrior

quote:Originally posted by jipmann

I really liked the look of the warrior, but if these depreciate fast, I might be better off looking at something else.

Don't buy a Japanese bike for any other reason than to ride the snot out of it. They are disposable toys. Some people try to keep the miles low and keep the paint sparkling and everything perfect just to sell it and take a big loss. If you want something to hold resale think stocks and bonds. Buy a motorcycle to ride it, period.

Instead of looking for one with less than 5k miles, look for one with 10-12k miles just like Washington Warrior said. These bikes will last for 100k miles easy, if you don't start jacking with the motors. So there's your start.... Enjoy![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

I paid $8,500 for mine in '02 and have put ~30,000 miles on it. As for depreciation, I'm pretty sure I could still get over $7,000 for it. Almost all new vehicles depreciate a good bit when you drive them off the lot, but used bikes tend to hold their value pretty well if they are taken care of.

That said, I wouldn't sell mine for less than $10,000 because I love it.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts