RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need some insite please. Ill start off by saying that I have a assoc degree in AUTOCAD and have been sitting behind a desk for 2 years now, and cant stand it. I have a hands on type of personality. Ive been playing with cars for 10 years and now that I have a Warrior, Ive hand my hands in on the bike and I really enjoy it. Ive been rethinking my career path and the first thing that comes to mind is cars and bikes. I really dont want to work as a auto mechanic again, something about changing fuel pumps on Caravans doesnt excite me. I saw a commercial over the weekend for UTI : Motorcycle Mechanics Institute. Checked out their website and briefly spoke with a rep this morning. We will continue our conversation this evening after I leave the office. It is a credited school in Orlando and Pheonix. Im in Chicago so relocation would be mandatory. I know that the rep will boost up the schools reputation but I'd like to get some insight from those who know about it but have no reason to butter up the story. Does any1 have any opinion on this school? I have some other things that play a role in my decision but this is just as important. I dont want to move1200 miles away and go to school for another year if it isnt worth it. If I go, it will be in the program that includes Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. Can any1 help me out here? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my buddy went to UTI in chicago and he loved it,he learned a lot,if your machanically inclined the school is a breeze,i too am going to Pheonix for the MMI program and i have a few buddy's down there and they love it,it's worth it,i will be leaving in the summer or fall to go down there,when ever i get some extra money for the move

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your buddy went to Chicago for the Auto Program? The one thing I didnt get out of the rep this morning was cost. DO you have a ballpark figure on the cost of the school?

·
Registered
151 Posts
i said i wanted to do the basic theory and harley and it would be around 22,000 but now im thinking i wanna tach on yamaha and honda

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Got a buddy who is going to Orlando...price is 24,000...for the HD classes.... Personally i would stick with the AutoCAD.....you will make a **** of alot more money in the long run....Have been doing AutoCAD and REVIT for 14 years now and am in the 70k to 80k bracket....and that w/o OT.......dont know of any bike mechanics that make that, unless they own their own business.....

good luck none the less...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HD-Slopoke said:
Got a buddy who is going to Orlando...price is 24,000...for the HD classes.... Personally i would stick with the AutoCAD.....you will make a **** of alot more money in the long run....Have been doing AutoCAD and REVIT for 14 years now and am in the 70k to 80k bracket....and that w/o OT.......dont know of any bike mechanics that make that, unless they own their own business.....

I totally understand what you are saying. Im working for a electrical co right now w no room for advancment and have been passing out resume for the last 6 months more toward the architectual side of AutoCADD but with the way the market is right now, no1 is hiring. Even if I were to find something, Id be on pinns and needles about being the first one let go if the company needed to downsize. I know the benifits of AutoCadd, just exploring my mind right now.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
dualxhst289 said:
HD-Slopoke said:

I totally understand what you are saying. Im working for a electrical co right now w no room for advancment and have been passing out resume for the last 6 months more toward the architectual side of AutoCADD but with the way the market is right now, no1 is hiring. Even if I were to find something, Id be on pinns and needles about being the first one let go if the company needed to downsize. I know the benifits of AutoCadd, just exploring my mind right now.

definitly nothing wrong for having somthing to fall back on...yea our economy is killing the construction industry....we have layed off several folks here. I am in the structural design end of things myself, and if i lose my job i would have nothing to fall back on....at any rate, when the economy gets itself back together, and if you still are doing the CAD thing, keep an eye out for Structural Consultants as well....the architects, and structural engineering firms make the most of the money.......alot more than civil and electrical, and even more than the shopdrawing providers......

again, best of luck to you.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i went to the uti in phoenix, the price went way up just for auto since i left, i think its around 24k for just auto. i think it was worth it they teach you everything from bottom up. i think the mmi portion is at the new campus in avondale,az. really nice fully ac building, HUGE. the only problem is at uti in phoenix its actually in avondale and there aint much out there,but its not that long of a driver to phoenix or tempe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts