RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2002 Warrior with 2k miles, I believe the recall was done approximately 500 miles ago.

Bike mechanicals are stock (air, pipe, etc...)

When I lightly roll-on there seems to be a bit of valve clatter, especially when taking off from a stop light.

Is this racket normal? It typically is only a few chatters, just a little uncomfortable sounding, like the oil pressure is a hair low. When cruising with the RPMs higher, or even after the initial roll-on at low RPMs the noise disappears.

Perhaps something is too tight in the valve train?

Thanks in advance.....

-Ben

·
Registered
209 Posts
my 02 with 2700 miles does the same thing, kinda wondering if it something on the chassis vibrating? i have run 87 octane and 93 octane no difference. i have v&h bigshots, BAK and power comm. AIS removed also.. other than that it is all stock and the recall has NOT been done yet...PM me if you find a problem so i can check it out.. bigjohnson

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's often hard to diagnose noises without hearing them. Are you sure it's valve clatter and not pinging? Bump the ECU up a couple of points and see if that helps. If valves, then too loose perhaps, which is better than too tight. Too loose, a little noisy; too tight, burns valves. Or it could be the lifters are just leaking down at low RPM. Changing to a little heavier oil might clear that up. Do you get the same thing regardless if the engine is cold or hot?

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Not sure if this is the same, but I just had my recall done, and when I got the bike back it was ticking like a time bomb. Service Mng said it would quiet up during re-breakin. A hundred miles later it was still as loud so I called my Dealer. This time he didn't hesitate, he said bring it in. Discovered a "collapsed lifter". He is replacing now. My bike was one of the last one's this service manager has done (he does all the recalls personally), but he told me that another Warrior came back the day before ticking just like mine. He did both bikes on the same day. He's not sure what went wrong, but they are fixing it right now. Naturally it was sunny and 70 degrees today and we'll have more of the same tomorrow. It was just snowing here Saturday.

Or possibly you're just hearing the tank vibrate. Mine used to vibrate like mad and make this nasty noise right about 2700 rpms. I cut a little peice of thin carpet sample and threw it under the tank between it and the frame. Haven't heard it shake since.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sangathor, Although I suspect it's true, I can't point a finger and say with 100% certainty that their failure to prime the lifers caused the problem you describe; but I am convinced that if they had primed the lifters, they would have likely found the problem lifter before it was installed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could be pinging, I'll try higher octane....although it really sounds like the valves....

looks like I'll make my first trip in on that Y.E.S.!

and be searching for ECU adjustment tecniques

so far, same thing cold or hot....

Thanks for the comments...

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by novice_warrior

**** sorry to hear that dude. did you notice any performance losses sangathor?

No, the bike ran great, except for the noise. I only had it for a hundred miles. I was supposed to be breaking it in again [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif] I was power shifting the tranny, hit the rev limiter a couple of times and got her nice and sideways in a right hand turn, you know, the usual breakin procedure. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Worked for the first 15,000 miles anyways.

No big deal, I'll have the bike back by Thursday evening. I'd have it tomorrow, but they are closed on Wednesdays. It could have been worse. Some dealers will refuse to admit there's a problem and tell you everythings great (ask Lagalaxy and Warstar) until it all goes to ****, then they don't want to fix it. I have a good dealer, with a good service dept, I'm not worried.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ok first: is this the same recall ive been hearing about for the tranny, or no.
second is my '05 affected? ive not recieved anything from yamaha as of yet?
or am i just being paranoid?

·
Registered
214 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SilverBulit
When I lightly roll-on there seems to be a bit of valve clatter, especially when taking off from a stop light.

-Ben

Do you hear the noise when the engine is under load or only from a dead stop? Rob Hughes from Orient Express had explained this in another thread when us HC piston customers were complaining about a "ticking" sound when coming from a dead stop. Apparently the generator shaft has some play and can cause a clicking noise.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14664&SearchTerms=generator,shaft

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DUFF

ok first: is this the same recall ive been hearing about for the tranny, or no.
second is my '05 affected? ive not recieved anything from yamaha as of yet?
or am i just being paranoid?

Yes, this is the tranny recall. But it only affected 02's and 03's, so you are safe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My pipes are so loud I cant tell if mine ticks? Is this bad? Big SHots with no baffles. What are tha absolute loudest to buy right now? My HD buds hate riding with a bike that is loud and runs without maintenance.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I bought my Warrior new in '02 and I had almost forgot about the strange disconcerting rattling noise it used to make when accelerating from a stop. Loosening an overtight drive belt cured it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a neighbor who also owns a Warrior. It has only a few hundred miles on it. A couple of weeks ago he asked me about a valve clatter type of noise he was hearing when first letting out the clutch after stopped. He said it only lasted a sec. then went away. He also said the noise never comes back at any other time during engine operation.

If the belt is causing this noise...why? I have heard his engine at idle and it sounds very quiet mechanically. Any other suggestions?
Rich B.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
A collapsed lifter could mean that when they took out the lifters (they are those small cylinders that ride the cams and push the pushrods upwards to open the valves), they might have laid them on their sides. The services manual actually tells you that you must not do that or you will have to prime them again (also explained in the service manual). Otherwise you will loose some of the oil within the lifter and it will create an air bubble than can get stuck within. That air bubble is compressible and you basically loose the the zero lash hydraulic setup. It will make a noise as if you would have too much valve play.
Fix: Take out the lifters, prime them as explained in the service manual and put the bike back together.

As many other said: it is hard to diagnose form a distance but this could be the reason for your noise at idle and just off idle.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least I have an idea what the worst case is when I go to the dealer. If they have to re-prime the lifters, how much more work would it be to swap for some HC pistons?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
You can swap out pistons in 1/2 hour additional time? I haven't done it myself, but you do mean one can easily take off the cylinders, swap out pistons, get new rings in and whatever else needs to be done for the pistons and get the cylinders back on, minus the heads in about 1/2 hour. It can take me 5-7 minutes just to get the fuel tank off and placed safely aside.!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts