RS Warrior Forum banner
  • It's back! Enter your bike HERE for the Warrior of the Quarter Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005/BAK/relocated Coils/PCV/Oil Cooler/Executioner Pipes/AIS Block off/
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yester day that while riding that i had 64 miles on the trip odometer and about 10min into the ride I needed fuel (according to the fuel light). I typically can go 110miles before the light comes on. Pulled in and filled up and no issues.

Here's the suspicion and thought. I put a cover on my bike to protect it from the elements and of all things, from the blazing sun. When I pull the cover off the bike, there is a heavy smell of gas. The cover does have vents and I am aware of the vapor valve that bleeds off the pressure in the tank when it gets hot.

Is it possible to loose a gallon of fuel or more over a period of time like this? I haven't encountered anything like this since i have garaged the bike mostly (no garage this time).

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
The answer is no. Gas will expand with heat but not that much. You might have filled up and parked it and smelled a little gas. Have you played with the dry breaks at all or removed the tank recently? Remove your dry breaks and squirt some WD40 in there and make sure when you connect them there is a nice audible snap and that they connect securely.

·
Registered
2005/BAK/relocated Coils/PCV/Oil Cooler/Executioner Pipes/AIS Block off/
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have not replaced or removed the tank or dry breaks in over a year once the new dry breaks were installed. the dry break is snapped together so well that I can barely get them apart because its such a good seal. there are no puddles or spots on the ground. Guess i will look to park it in a shaded area and see if that helps. thanks for the tips hefty.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
What are the chances someone stole gas out of your bike? Either that or you have a gas leak somewhere. There is a known issue with some years developing leaks where the gas line comes out of the main tank on the left side. I would look there for any staining.
The design of the filler neck on the tank makes it impossible to totally fill the tank with gas so even in very hot conditions it's unlikely any gas would expand enough to force its way out. If you'lr filler nrck has been modified so that you can fill the tank completely full of gas then yes if you park it full and let it get hot some will weep out the drain but not more than a few ounces. Depending on how I ride my bike I can be anywhere from 70 miles to 120 miles before the gas light comes on.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,910 Posts
You might have zeroed out the trip meter in between fill-ups for some reason. Ride it. If the condition repeats then buck-up and cycle both dry breaks anyway: disconnect, spray wd40 into female half, reconnect with gentle pressure until audible click. Do both (left side and undertank).

Dry breaks that are feeling stuck tight like you mentioned are usually dry-sticky and may not flow as much as you might think. The wd40 allows the o-rings to slip into the correct position. When clicked, you should observe spring action when pressed further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts