RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

So i dont see much talk about intercoms on this site. I know someone out there is looking for information on them, faq's or something. comparisons maybe? Well, i cant help with that, but i can give you a little review on the headset's I bought.
My Story, and what i was looking for
First off, I was looking for a headset that i could use for bike to bike use, which obviously would work for same bike communication. I wanted something pretty low profile, easy to use, had intercom, and standard phone to bluetooth capabilities... It looks like most things on the market had those options. My MAIN issue was really the price. I wouldnt have minded buying a higher end sena set but i wanted something my friends would buy. spoiler: My friends are cheap! I looked around and came across a couple what seem to be super low end intercoms, and checked out reviews on them all around the web. The VEETOP intercom seemed to be a crowed pleaser that can be had for as little as 35 bucks if you feel like waiting for shipment from china. (if i am aloud they can be had at gearbest.com) I however didnt feel like waiting for the who knows how long of shipment, so i placed an order for a 2 pack via amazon.com with prime. It cost me roughly a hundred bucks for the 2 pack. Knowing my friends wouldn't spend a hundred bucks on a 2 pack and slow to spend 50 bucks on just the one. I figured they could check mine out and order it from gearbest over the winter, so who cares about how long the shipping is.

What comes in the box
The Veetop comes with everything you need The Unit, a clip style mount, and a velcro mount for the unit, A headset for mounting in your helmet, and velcro mounting pads if they are needed. a charger (which is a usb type connector UC-E6 like used on some cameras) a relatively useless patch cable, and an instruction booklet.

The Functions
The unit itself is very simple It's got only 4 buttons, 2 ontop for volume, 1 power button and one phone button. The unit has the charging port, which is also where the headset plugs in, and a 2.5mm jack. The Jack could be used for plugging in a gps, phone, mp3 player or what not, but i use my phone for all of that, so it goes right through the headset. If a phone call happens to come in, it will take preference over music, and it auto answers the call. You can change this setting on your phone. If you are able to turn off auto answer on your phone you simply press the phone button and it will answer the call. pressing it again will hang up the phone.
The Volume buttons do just what they say, in a phone call you can click and hold the volume up or down button and the volume will adjust, when listening to music, you can do the same, but a short press of the button will Skip ahead to the next song (volume up) or go back to the last song (volume down)
The power button does exactlly what you think it would, Press and hold to turn off, or to turn on. The power button also is your way of linking the unit.

Connecting the unit to your phone/other units
Connecting the unit could be better, but it works. Hooking the unit up to your phone is simple. Much like connecting any bluetooth device. Turn the unit on by holding the power button, When it turns on do not let go. Keep holding the button, for about 6 seconds total, the led on the unit begins to flash blue/red, it is now in pairing mode, Select the unit from your phone, and there you go. its connected. I have yet to need to repair my phone to my helmet. it stays connected and reconnects as soon as your phone goes back on.
Connecting to another unit is also very simple... if you remember one simple thing. Turn off the bluetooth on your phone before pairing to another unit. The way to pair it is the same. Push and hold the power button for roughly 6 seconds until you see the led on the unit blink red/blue. Do this on Both helmets. When both are flashing red/blue push the power button once, you should here a little beep and they will be connected. Now you can go turn your bluetooth on your phone back in.
You can leave the unit in intercom mode and phone calls will take priority and switch back to intercom when the call is over. (same as with music)
Remembering to turn off your bluetooth to connect to another unit is kind of a pain the first few times... i never remembered and would need to repeat all the connecting steps.
Headset Quality/Sound Quality
I installed the units on my helmet and my wifes helmet, and played around with them. My wifes helmet was super loud and clear. My helmet on the other hand... not so much, it was very quiet, It turns out speaker placement is very important on some helmets. i had to play around to find a comfortable position in my helmet and can hear them. But now i can rock out to my music while driving warrior capable speeds. :D
The first time i used the headsets were for same bike communications, my wife had hers, and i had mine, and its great, way better than any cheap wired units we've tried in the past. basically only the sounds of your voice comes out, its clean and easy to hear, the noise canceling on these units seems to be very nice. They are easy to hear, clear, and have low to no background noise.
I have since used them bike to bike, and its pretty awesome. When you go out for a ride and dont know where you are going these things make it so much nicer than having to wait to talk at a stop sign, or pulling over or anything, You simply talk and the other rider is right there. It's cool...until they start singing to themselves... The sound quality from bike to bike is just as amazing as it is with the passenger of your own bike. The range is also pretty amazing, they claim 800m, and it probably is somewhere around there, line of sight, However, just to try it i went around to another road and it started chopping up and lost the signal not too far into losing sight. Also found out these units wont reconnect by themselves. But a simple press of the power button and they reconnected. (not sure what would have happened if i had my phone connected)
An issue i forgot about
in writing that last little part, i realized i never mentioned that these units connect to only 1 other unit at a time. You can hook up to 3 units together, but switching between then requires the push of a button and wont allow you to talk to more than 1 unit at a time, so these work great for same bike, and riding with just one other person.
The manual talks about using walkie talkies to extend the capability of group intercoms. I've been trying to figure this out because their is zero information on this. i spend a bit of money trying different things to get work, and it all depends on the radio you have. but with the right cables you can get group communication with walkies through the headsets. (but most walkies also have compatible headsets for motorcycles, meaning you wouldnt need this unit if group chat is all you wanted to use it for)
My Feelings
At a price from 34 to 50 bucks a unit this thing headset is a great deal. And is is made surprisingly well, the finish is great, and functions are pretty decent for what your paying. this unit is actually pretty comparable to a lot of the more expensive units. The only real negatives i have on this unit are the inability to talk to more than one person at a time with out the use of an auxiliary radio, and syncing could be a tad easier but its not bad. Their are way more pro's to this unit, especially at the price point. If you've been looking into an intercom but not ready to drop the money on a sena or nolan, This is a great alternative.

I have since picked up another 2 pack and mounted them on additional helmets for the bike and my ATV.

(sorrry about the horrible photo quality and lack of photos, the camera lens on my phone is broken)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has said this before - great write-up! I was looking for a good bluetooth headset/intercom that connects to my phone, and was glad to find this review.

I'll be purchasing this headset now - thanks again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised nobody has said this before - great write-up! I was looking for a good bluetooth headset/inttercom that connects to my phone, and was glad to find this review.

I'll be purchasing this headset now - thanks again.

Haha, thanks for the kind words. It's a nice cheap unit, especially if no one you ride with has any or you ride alone. If everyone you know has a sena or something, it won't always connect with them, and not nearly as quick as they connect to eachother.

If you get it, let me know if theirs anything different you noticed or anything to add.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest, I don't know. I have used it for 2 or 3 days for a few hours at a time, but generally throw it on the charger at night. It should last a few hours at least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found them on gearbest.com for $35 with around 2 weeks of shipping, but then searched the part number on amazon (BT-S2) and found several sellers - the cheapest being $45 for 2-day shipping.

Ordered mine yesterday, should be here tomorrow. I'll post here when I get an idea of how long the battery lasts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using a cheap headset and it feels great when listening to music and no problems.
I have downloaded a lot of songs and ringtones for free at a reputable phone ringtone provider, you can refer hier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts