RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been reading over the forums for about a week now and recently have just gotten back into motorcycles. I rode dirt bikes in high school/college, although that has been 10+ yrs. I recently purchased a bike to get back into motorcycles, and once again am totally hooked!! I decided to just get a small easy cruiser to start with and so far it's ok, but I am wanting more bike, more power etc.. The warrior I sat on this spring was an awsome machine but I told myself then I would wait and get some miles on a cruiser first before jumping in and buying this bad boy.

Well several thousand miles later and many hours of riding I am looking up upgrade form the Yamaha V star 1100 and look at a Warrior. While I do take the wife out on weekends for a sunday ride now and then I am curious of a couple things. First off, I would assume it rides 2 ppl just as well as my current bike? comfort wise if a good seat is avail. Secondly on the V star at 65 MPH this thing is rev'd pretty dang high to the point the vibration and the sucking of fuel is a bit annoying. I read the Warrior has 2 overdrive gears that helps it's highway cruising RPM/fuel issues. Was curious, besides the fact this bike looks absolutly amazing, and from what I have read, the performace is awsome as a solo riden machine.

Would love to hear opinions from anyone that regurly rides with a passenger and how the gear box runs out on the highway.

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

Great site btw!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Passenger comfort is OK once you lower the passenger pegs and replace the stock torture pad with a real seat like a Corbin Dual Tour seat or a Mustang Vintage.

RPM-wise, if I remember correctly she turns 3k at 80mph in fifth, approx 70mph at 3k in fourth. I just cruised home from South Carolina at 80mph for 2 hours, no problem.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I've got a Corbin Dual Tour for when the wife rides. It takes about 10 seconds to swap out seats on a Warrior (since I normally use the stock seat). As far as highway 'rev' goes, this bike has got to be one of the lowest revving-at-highway-speeds bikes on the market. At speeds below 80, mine is very smooth. Up around 100 it has a vibration. But I normally keep it legal. 70mph in fifth is around 2600 rpms if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats great to hear about the seat and the RPM situation! Man I am pumped about looking into purchasing one of these sweet machines. Thanks for taking the time to respond stilleto and RatPhlem. I look forward to reading alot more about the warrior and the mods out there after I find one to purchase.. woohoo. I knew I shoulda bought this thing when I seen it lol. Oh well look forward to shopping for one come Tuesday!!
[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I never ride double so I can't help you there ,but I can tell you this. The bike is geared high. **** alot of times I'm cruising along at 70mph and then realize I'm still in fourth gear.
The bike has pletty of torque for riding double. When I first got it I felt like I was going to blow right off the back of the bike at 100mph. I put the factory windshield (its small) on it to take some of the wind off my chest. I cruise at 100mph all the time now comfortably. The bike tops out at 133mph and I can tuck down behind the little windshield at those high speeds .
If your going to buy a new one ,go to "cyclebuy.com" first. There you can buy a dealer invoice for $13.00 This will tell you exactly how much the dealer has into the bike. Including ,shipping ,assembly etc... Take this invoice with you when you go to the dealership to make your deal! You should be able to get out the door for about 12k
or less.
lildaddy (Rod)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I won't be "cruising" at 100 MPH.. Thanks for the info on the windshield /emoticons/emotion-1.gif I can't wait until Tuesday now to goto the dealership and see what kinda "deal" I can swing trading in my current bike. (I'm sure I"ll get screwed) lol oh well it will be worth it and I learned a little bit about what to buy and when. It will be so worth the 2k I lose in trade to have a bike that doens't sound like it's struggling to hold 70 MPH on the interstate. Not to mention the power in 4th gear to pull up a hill with the wife on vs having to downshift and turn on the juice to maintain speeds.

Is it Tuesday yet? heh

·
Registered
784 Posts
You would do better selling your bike in the cycletrader... v-star 1100 actually have a decent resale value i could have come out even when i sold mine but i was impatient and took a $1000 less just to get rid of it..

Goodluck!
Alan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well had some modem issues, so here it is friday and yes... got the Warrior on Tuesday WOoooHoooo! What a blast to ride. Have 300 miles on it now and can't wait for some sun to shine this weekend. (raining here now ugg)

I guess raining is a good time to start searching my list of add ons haha... so far just locating the right passenger seat/back rest is my fist goal. The wife loves to ride, but is a little freaked on this bike with no backrest with the torque this thing has ooops lol. Anyhow thanks for all the advice and comments, helped to make a decision and now I am a very happy Warrior owner!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
lildaddy, you got yourself a super Warrior, hang on to it. I don't think that my bike with a full Stage IV speedstar kit is going to do a real honest to goodness 133. (GPS or radar) I'll find out soon enough. Only have about 600 miles since recall and upgrade, and so far only had it up to a real 115.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
bossxii, sorry I'm late to the party, but the warrior does fine w/ 2-up. If you plan on doing many highway miles, do yourself and your lady a favor--buy a corbin seat (I've heard mustang is just as good or better, but haven't ridden on one). Before you buy the corbin, ride for 1 hour on the highway without stopping. Then switch to the corbin and you'll see exactly what I mean. I can ride all day on my corbin. My back still gets a little stiff after an all day ride, but my butt doesn't hurt at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thx for the advice ridinrules. So far I have the 2 pc stocker and plan to modify it first, figure that's the cheapest since after I have my current backrest/luggage rack, Big shot windshield, forward controls and AIS coming... need to get all that installed and paid for before the wife shoots me hehe. I am sure once she rides for any lenght with me she will be all for a more comfy seat as well. My only issues now is the tailbone getting sore, so I am going to shave the seat first, then possibly try the gel insert, see how it goes. I like the profile lines of the stock seat so would like to make it work if possible, but if not I like the looks of the Corbin and will end up there if I have to.

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
Well congrats on the purchase. Yea the backrest is a must! When I first got my bike there wasn't many options except for a new seat but now there are penty. (I've been though 4 seats)If you have trouble figuring out what mods to do let me know, I'll spend your money!!!

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
I have the corbin solo & passenger pillion and can tell you from experience that it's worlds better than the stock seat for '02. I assume the 2-piece for '04 & '05 are better stock seats than the '02, but be sure you take your wife for a ride on the stock seat before you spend money on an aftermarket. Do that, and you won't hear any complaints about the expense.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far my plans have been foiled!!! lol The wife doesn't seem to have issues with a sore butt, I installed the backrest and she is **** near sleepin back there BAH. haha, oh well guess I'll get her down the road a few hundred miles see if she changes her tune about the seat. I shaved the foam down today and reinstalled it, going to ride it a few days to see if it needs further modification or not. So far the first 45 mins was a HUGE improvement. Once the windshield shows tomarrow AM, install it and going to take a bit of a road trip to test the seat and the Big Shot windshield! Will report results of the big shot and a 6'4" rider.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
You will still catch alot of wind over the big shot on your face, but it keeps the wind off your chest. You'll be amazed how big the difference is on your fatigue-level for a day-long ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts