RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've sent in oil samples on various oil/bike (and truck) combinations.... when you change your oil and filter at reasonable intervals, you'd probably be surprised at what works. A good oil filter is a must, and I have found that OEM Honda, Yamaha, and HD oil filters are about as good as any. There are a lot of marketing claims out there, but the proof is in the oil analysis. Blackstone labs will do it for 20 bucks, plus $1.59 for shipping.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Has anyone used the golden spectro synthetic blend? I used it on my first oil change before switching to full synthetic basen on steeler recomendation

·
Registered
73 Posts
just FYI for you Amsoil lovers... they changed their composition without advertising it. they are no longer a teer 4 or 5 sinthetic oil anymore. they went down a teer. my freind owns a lube shop and said they used to be #1, but now they are equal to mobil 1 and the other second place oils. still good, but no longer surpass the others. and yes he sells amsoil so there's no reason for him to want people to not buy it.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Mobile 1 vtwin costs about $8 a quart. You can get it at Autozone and at some Wal-Marts (you will have to look for it at both places). I've never had any trouble finding it since I found out where to look in the stores.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have been using amsoil on all my bikes.... good to see the extra money was worth it... i even used their twostroke oil back in the day on my go-ped...seriously

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Well I did it, I bought the Mobil 1 V twin at Auto Zone for $8.00 a quart. Bought a K/N filter for another 14 bucks, $57.00 for an oil change that I had to do my self pretty steep. I will past the plate later and take up a little offering.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
quote:Originally posted by Outlaw_Warrior

Yeah AMSOIL scored highest overall. That is what is going in my bike this spring.

After doing some checking I think Mobil1 will work well plus I can buy it local.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I would like to see an independent study. Amsoil is good stuff but when you conduct your own testing it means nothing.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It was an independent study comissioned by Amsoil

quote:Originally posted by JamesD

I would like to see an independent study. Amsoil is good stuff but when you conduct your own testing it means nothing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
anyone ever used Redline? i've been hearing good things about it. apparently a lot of racing teams out there are using it and haveing good luck. also, there are claims that it actually increases horsepower because of less friction in the engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We've been using Amsoil in our Medic Units for years. Even though they state you can go 24,000 miles between changes, we change ours every 12,000 or about 3 times a year. We drive our rigs hard and have noticed significant performance gains in the Powerstroke. We actually had the Amsoil tested after 12,000 miles and found it held up better than conventional oils with only 3,000 miles. I personally just switched to Amsoil in my Warrior and will never go back. Good riding.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I found this interesting, Not conclusive, but nice to see this is not all BS & Bluster
http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ha,ha.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] funny, i noticed that too. funny how one does a study and their product always scores the highest....[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][8D]he,he,he....[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]quote:Originally posted by Fred

No doubt amsoil is an excellent oil, but they also did the study.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Here's a link to an oil evaluation by a retired chemist from a major oil & chemical company. He lives in Houston and he and his wife both ride.
Hope you find it as interesting as I did when I originally read it 3 years ago. If this has been posted before please excuse my listing it again, but I couldn't find it using the search mode.

www.gis.net/~manjo/motorcycle_motor_oil.htm

·
Registered
389 Posts
Say what ya want but i have seen performance gains as well as gas mileage in all my vehicles when using Amsoil for oil, tranny and differential fluids. They will also replace the engine that fails once it is detemined to be the oil at fault. From Bulldozer to Tractor all the way down to the lawnmower. Don't know if Mobil will do that but I know who will...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am sorry but I find it highly unlikely that you got performance gains from using a different oil. Unless you provide statistical data to prove this I will remain skeptical.

·
Registered
118 Posts
One of the horsepower/road and track saturday morn shows took a used camaro and put it on a dyno then changed oil,tranny fluid, and rear end to royal purple and ran dyno again. Gained about 5% I believe.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts