RS Warrior Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've used Amsoil in the past in my sleds, cars, trucks and bikes. Good oil, don't like their marketing scams and programs. Use Mobil 1 V-TWIN in the bike now. Changed to Valvoline Synpower in the car and truck. From what I've heard the base stock may last for the extended drain interval but the addative packages will not. I change the bike at 3000 miles and car/truck around 4000. Just my 2 cents. [8D]

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've use Royal purple in the truck and noticed alot a valve clatter at higher RPM's I wont ever use it again. I switched back to mobil 1 no clatter same milage and half the price. I guess it just depends on how you ride or drive and how much your willing to pay for that peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
For you guys who use the Amsoil in your warriors, I am thinking of switching to it also, but could you tell me which one? 10w/40, 10w/50 etc,

thanks...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I now have 34,000 miles on my "04".
Motul 5100 Syn Blend: 10W40(winter)..15W50(summer).
Have changed oil & filter(K&N) every 3500 mi.
Still runs like a champ and burns zero oil.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just did an oil change on my '06.
And switched to royal purple (transfer and crank).

The bike no longer has a "High idle" when 1st started...
It starts at 850rpms, and stays there (it started at 1100rpms before, and low idle was at 950)...
By the way...
Before the oil change, my bike would have a "fast idle" upon starting, of 1100RPMS.

I find the fact that my "fast idle" is completely gone enough to make me think that at the very least "dino" oils suck...
And that Royal Purple is some pretty good sh*t...

But, I haven't tried a different synthetic oil as of yet.
So, who knows?...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I recently picked up my 07 Warrior and just did the 600 mile oil change. I do not believe in using synthetic for break in so I put in Yamalube, but after 1000 miles I will switch to the Mobil Synthetic. I have used Mobil in my 2 stroke dirt bikes for years and at tear down they always look great.

If you are looking for a place to buy Mobil Oil, check out http://store.avlube.com/mob1vtwinair1.html

There prices are good - better than I can get through my parents Motorcycle Shop. With shipping the price about the same but only if the order through my parents distributor meets the minimum order amount.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think I may be sold on the Amsoil, but how does it compare price wise to the mobile 1? Also what about availability? As of now I am under the impression that it has to be ordered, which isnt necesarily bad.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
quote:Originally posted by wimp

I just did an oil change on my '06.
And switched to royal purple (transfer and crank).

The bike no longer has a "High idle" when 1st started...
It starts at 850rpms, and stays there (it started at 1100rpms before, and low idle was at 950)...
By the way...
Before the oil change, my bike would have a "fast idle" upon starting, of 1100RPMS.

I find the fact that my "fast idle" is completely gone enough to make me think that at the very least "dino" oils suck...
And that Royal Purple is some pretty good sh*t...

But, I haven't tried a different synthetic oil as of yet.
So, who knows?...

Hmmm...I'm throwing the B.S. flag on your theory....There is a system in the bike designed to raise the idle when the engine is cold. Simply changing to a different type of oil would have nothing to do with that.

BTW, I would recommend 950 being the lowest idle. The oil pressure drops off quickly below 900. It's amazing what you notice when you have a gauge. Like the 10 PSI of oil pressure I was seeing at idle today when I was stuck in july 4th crawling/stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes....I cranked the idle up just a tad to be closer to 1000. Even mobil 1 thins out when you sit in florida traffic in july....I'm thinking of getting a cooler.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not to sound stupid or anything but they didn't test car motor oil. If we are talking about viscosity and such I think they should. I read a similar article a few years back where they compared all kinds of oils from cars and bikes alike.. and it was a completely different finding. You think that Amsoil is only testing in what they know they are superior?

·
Registered
66 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SuicideD_45

I've used nothing but Amsoil in the Warrior and the Road Star before it, as well as in my Nissan Pathfinder...I won't use anything else. In -40 c, the Pathfinder fires up without being plugged in at all. (and that was with summer oil too, 20-W50!!) The Warrior loves Amsoil too.[^]

Where can you get Amsoil? I hope some place like autozone would carry it.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
well.. guess maybe the lucas i was running wasnt as good as i thought. That pretty much blows their product out of the oil tank. looks like ams and mobil is the stuff to im goin to be useing. Awsome find there Outlaw, thanks from me
chris

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The oil temp does have an effect on idle speed after the initial startup.....not sure what the new oil would do to oil temp though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you are using high dollar synthetic on short OCI's you are really wasting your money. To know how well your our is doing get a OUA from Blackstone labs, they will send you a sample kit for free.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts