RS Warrior Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
quote:Originally posted by AASLTWarrior

Quick question will using oil with a different wieght other than specified by the manufacturer void the warranties

Yes, using different oil with weight other than recommended by the manufacturer can void your warranty. Although, they will only know if you tell them, or they test it due to some oil related problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use Amsoil in my Toyota truck, 124,000 miles, My wife's Goat (Dodge Caravan) 98,000 miles, my Warrior, assorted small engines/generators, outboard motors, chain saws and weed eaters. My son uses it in his race boat engine. The cost is comparable to dino oils of good quality, but it only has to be changed 1x per 12 months or 25,000 miles instead of 3 or 4 dino oil changes. I don't work for Amsoil, but I do believe in their products, and reputation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to disagree that most truck drivers use Amsoil, as I drive truck for a living. The top two oils I see are Mobil and Shell Rotella. Though these obviously are not motorcycle oils, it says something for the oil manufacturers. I have been using Mobil oils as my father has on all my vehicles and tractors, and those take a beating in the heat more than motorcycles do. My family still has tractors that have never been rebuilt that are over 25yrs old of hard farm life using Mobil oils, and I have been running the Mobil V-twin in my Warrior. Any Napa store should be able to at least order for you if you have trouble finding it. I am lucky as my local Napa dealer carries it becaus the Owner has a Harley and that is what he runs. It goes for about $10/quart, but you can litteraly run it twice as long also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to disagree that most truck drivers use Amsoil. I drive truck for a living, and the top 2 oils I see are Mobil and Shell Rotella. With that said, I realize that these are not motorcycle oils, but trucks change their oil on the average every 15-20,000 miles. Yes, you read that right. The oil they use takes an extreme beating too. This occurance happens about every 1 1/2 months. I am stating this to give you an idea of how many miles goes on truck oil. My father used Mobil and I have used Mobil all my life in everything. We have tractors that have over 25yrs of hard service under their belt with no rebuild on the motors with Mobil oil. Now I know Amsoil is good, and I am not trying to write an add for Mobil. But I do not believe there is enough difference between the two to make a difference. The key is, and I think any motor builder will back me on this, is pick one of the best ones and stick with it. I, obviously prefer the Mobil V-twin and have been running it in my Warrior with great results. If you have trouble finding it, you should be able to have any Napa dealer order for you or look up oil dealers in your yellow pages and Mobil should be listed.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mobil synthetics are fine products, as are a few others. Only Amsoil is willing to line their products up against other named products and use ASTM (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) testing methods to show the real story. The prices are generally the same for most high end lubricants (within a dollar or two), I choose to use the best I can get.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I will let you all in on a not so little secret. "Shell Rotella". I have switched to that on my Warrior, dirtbikes and 4 wheelers, I havent looked back...... It is cheap, and has a fantastic ad package and I have gotten great results in my UOA's from Blackstone labs to back it up.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Fred said:
No doubt amsoil is an excellent oil, but they also did the study.

That very well may be true but if you've ever noticed that when the major oil companies do their studies they never include Amsoil. I wouldn't either if another oil was superior to mine.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Pep said:
Fred said:

That very well may be true but if you've ever noticed that when the major oil companies do their studies they never include Amsoil. I wouldn't either if another oil was superior to mine.

If Amsoil made false claims in the studies (white papers), they would be sued out of existance by Exxon Mobile, Royal Dutch Shell, etc. They have lots of lawyers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pep said:
Fred said:

Amsoil also refuses to submit its products for certification by the ACEA. Again, I'm sure it's a great oil, so what have they got to lose?

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have had nothing but problems using Amsoil, lifters failing, a lot of oil leaks, along with transmission failure as well. We no longer use Amsoil even if our customers ask for it we refuse to sell it to them. I have been using Golden Spectro 20/50 in my Warrior after my first 1500 miles on it. I now have over 20,000 miles and have had no issues at all. I also use it in my Warrior Drag bike and have great success out of using it. I say STAY AWAY from that Amsoil stuff.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Warrior-Dragracing978 said:
We have had nothing but problems using Amsoil, lifters failing, a lot of oil leaks, along with transmission failure as well. We no longer use Amsoil even if our customers ask for it we refuse to sell it to them. I have been using Golden Spectro 20/50 in my Warrior after my first 1500 miles on it. I now have over 20,000 miles and have had no issues at all. I also use it in my Warrior Drag bike and have great success out of using it. I say STAY AWAY from that Amsoil stuff.
Hey bud, the last time you posted this you referenced studies that showed these problems. If you or your customers have had problems, I HIGHLY recommend you contact Amsoil Corporate, the company has a guarantee on their products. If you indeed do sell Amsoil as a ROTS or in some other fashion, your servicing dealer should be stepping up to handle this with you.

This is part of the reply I posted the last time you made these assertations:

"
I would like to see one of those studies.

What exactly is the mechanism by which this happens? What testing methods were used in these tests (ASTM number)?

I
just got off of the phone with Amsoil Corporate and Tech. There have
been 0 count them 0 reports or warranty claims to Amsoil about this
issue. If this actually happened to someone, I highly recommend
reporting this to Amsoil and they will stand behind the product. The
contact number is: 715-392-7101.

You can also contact me at
[email protected] and I as a Site Supporting Dealer will personally
facilitate any warranty issues for any member of this site."

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/5821/93060.aspx#93060

Also, I currently have a customers running 2 ZX-14s, a ZX-10, and a HD drag bike at Quaker City Dragway having no issues.

Please advise on this situation.

Ashton

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just would like to add to this thread, that I have 65K miles on my '02, and have used Amsoil since 20K miles. I can still run the wheels off my friends '01 Duce, with head work, a 6 speed, and several thousand dollars of "extras". He has about 20K miles on his ride. That said, I change oil on average, every 7500 miles. You are throwing good money after bad by asserting to the old "3000 mile oil change myth". IMO Even Yamaha says 4K miles... Amsoil claims 24K between necessary changes. I don't think they had motorcycles in mind when they made that claim.

Our bike runs a wet clutch & when you start to wear your clutch it will follow that your oil will get dirty sooner. The dealer I've used for all recalls, GP Sports in San Jose, CA, has said that when the clutch starts to wear out that it will cause the oil to get dirty quicker. I found that to be true when I had my CPS recall performed. I believe in Amsoil.

·
Registered
761 Posts
jimsnorton said:
I just would like to add to this thread, that I have 65K miles on my '02, and have used Amsoil since 20K miles. I can still run the wheels off my friends '01 Duce, with head work, a 6 speed, and several thousand dollars of "extras". He has about 20K miles on his ride. That said, I change oil on average, every 7500 miles. You are throwing good money after bad by asserting to the old "3000 mile oil change myth". IMO Even Yamaha says 4K miles... Amsoil claims 24K between necessary changes. I don't think they had motorcycles in mind when they made that claim.

Our bike runs a wet clutch & when you start to wear your clutch it will follow that your oil will get dirty sooner. The dealer I've used for all recalls, GP Sports in San Jose, CA, has said that when the clutch starts to wear out that it will cause the oil to get dirty quicker. I found that to be true when I had my CPS recall performed. I believe in Amsoil.

Just to be accurate, Amsoil recommends in cars, 25k under normal service, with motorcycles, it is twice the factory recommended interval.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts