RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day all,

Replaced the battery today but we are not 100% sure if the new battery is getting charged properly when engine running.

At idle I’m seeing figures of around 14v thereabouts but if I raise the idle speed up the volts decrease, not much .. maybe slowly drops to 13.6 ... revving the bike doesn’t increase the volts on the multi meter.

I’m not full bottle on the Warriors system, my tuner mentioned the regulator rectifier could be on its way out ... does that seem a reasonable idea? Or is this a Warrior thing. lol

I’ll check the RR leads tomorrow and make sure all connections are tight and clean. I guess I’m just wondering if I actually have a problem or not.

Thanks

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
The regulator regulates max voltage. Don't worry about it. Charge should be ~13.8v and can be a hint higher depending. What you do not want is for charge to drop below what the bike needs at the time, or to allow a raise in voltage too high out of range.

Check the service manual for the regulator-rectifier assembly.

It doesn't hurt to check plug terminals, be gentle and reassemble squarely.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Arizona Warrior

Ok so despite the fact the volts drop regardless of revs it’s ok ..

And providing they stay in the high 13’s with engine running all is ok.

I found a link to a PDF file for service manual and book marked it, I’ll hunt it out and see what that tells me.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've found its always good when worrying about an electrical issue to make sure the grounds are good before going further. If the battery is not discharged then the regulator should be keeping the voltage in the upper 13s but not higher or you will boil the battery, it sounds like it is doing what it's supposed to.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
High 13's voltage is normal, when the engine is running the fuel pump, running lights & headlamp + whatever it takes to drive the engine management system all consume amperage.
Amps are the system load, voltage is the push that moves the amps. A higher amp load = a lower charging voltage.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Very good advice from everyone here. Things seem to be normal. And mjerney gave some good advice in keeping the contact clean for positive as well as your ground cable.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That’s where something like Vaseline comes in handy. Clean your leads then apply an amount of Vaseline over your contacts and the won’t oxidise. An old army transport driver showed me that one.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
That’s where something like Vaseline comes in handy. Clean your leads then apply an amount of Vaseline over your contacts and the won’t oxidise. An old army transport driver showed me that one.
So you are saying an "old Army friend" put vaseline all over your "lead".........hhhhmmmm you guys must have been very close friends 😁

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, I’m confident based on my knowledge of car & RV solar charging experience, the Warrior has its own idiosyncrasies I need to learn up on.

When we put the new battery in, that special grease was used on the terminals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update .. had the charger on the new battery over night, I did notice it went into float mode around 10pm and volts were stable at 13.6 ... started it up this morning and instant start, multimeter on the battery and volts were 14.2, put high beam on and gave it some revs and voltage reading stayed around the same give or take a few points.

I’m confident as I can be all is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Mine reads 14.2v while running.

Reactions: Baldy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts