RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to the forum and need input on the Warrior. This site is an excellent source of info so I figure I came to the right place.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Vulcan to something with some balls. I was looking at the VTX but the handling isn't what I want and the bike has some cheap pieces on it. It is also heavy and feels like a semi at slow speeds. I also looked at the mean streak and love the brakes and the handling (except when the pegs dig in ) but the power is laughable. My 800 Vulcan with a jet kit and pipes does almost the same 1/4 mile time. I'd have to put in a couple of grand to get it to be close to the other "power cruisers".

That leaves the warrior and v-max. Mr max is godawful fast but the brakes fade relatively easily and the handling is just plain scary on anything but flat level ground.

I tried the sportbike route but my wife about lost her mind when we went for the test ride on the ZRX1200 (me only--she wouldn't even get on). That thing is way fast and handles on rails but I need to stay married.

My concerns about the Warrior are;

1- How is it on the superslab? I get on I-20 and I-285 to get to work and the average speed is 75+mph so I'll be spending a lot of time in that range-what are the rpm's like?
2- I sat on one but havent gone on a ride yet. It seems pretty comfy but I'd probably need risers on it to really make it fit. How is it on longer trips (not an ironbutt, I usually don't ride for more than an houre at a time).?
3- I read where some road*'s had a problem with the rear wheel locking up due to some washer or something. As a matter of fact it happened to a guy in the Southern Cruisers in my area. Is this an issue on the Warrior?
4- What is everyone paying for the bike? I haven't looked much but I know I can drive to Alabama and get one in the mid 10's.

Thanks for any info you can give me,

AJ

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
hey welcome
1. It's great, at 75 I'm around 3k.
2. I've ordered risers. It's easy to change the riding position to meet your needs.
3. No problems.
4. Bellevue, Wa 10,300 plus tax '03 w/flames. I said I would drive to Alabama.
5. Ride it and you'll know!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It sounds like the right bike for you. I have 900 miles on mine, and I still want to post on here how much fun I have when I ride it. Seat is not great, especially if you like to sit upright which it sounds like you do cuz you want risers. Its very nice to cruise at 75-80 on this thing. You are right at the beginning of the power when you are at 2,500 rpm. I turn 3k when I'm at 80 on level ground and it feels really happy there. I got my 02 in march, in California OTD for $10,500. Forget the V-max. There is not a bike, except maybe the Honda Magna, more in need of a new model. If you want a V-twin, this one rocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a red one spotted in AR for $10,000. Sounds like I need to jump on it and trade off the 650 Silverado for a bike that's got some guts to it. Anybody know what I should expect to get on trade in for an '02 650 Silverado with 4400 miles and in almost perfect condition.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sarge,

Welcome to the family. I'm in metro Atlanta too and I have driven it on I-20, 85, 285, 400 and the connector through the city, no problem on the superslab for me, does [email protected],000 rpm day in and day out like clockwork.
For anything beyond putzing around town, you will want to swap out the seat for something better, that stock seat is extremely painful unless you have it reworked with gel or whatever, I went and replaced it with a Corbin DT. I'm 6'1" and I'm good with the bars and the pegs now that I have the Corbin seat on. Also added a Memphis Shades windshield, nice for long trips.
Don' think the Warrior transmissions have been plagued with the circlip problem that the Roadies are, least I have not heard of anyone having an issue.
Mid 10s is not bad for an 03, but you can do better if you can find a leftover 02. I got one in Corinth MS for $8995, others find them elsewhere for similar.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have bought bikes every year, rode them over summer, and then sold them at the end of the season. Only problem I have with this bike is that I can't find anything that I don't like about it. I mean anything. Until that day comes, I'm keeping it. I am only 5'8", 160lbs. The bike fits me awesome, has plenty of nuts, handles awesome, and looks awesome. Had mine since Jan of 02. Love every bit of it. Best bike I have ever had. Well, there is one complaint: it is rediculous to have to spend over 10k for a motorcycle but I am quite happy with it. The only thing that could make it better would be if Yamaha were to discontinue it thus making it a collectors item.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I echo evryone else. This Bike has no issues with the interstate. Good thing is it still has plenty of balls while cruising at 75-80

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mustang's got a killer comfort seat in the Vintage - looks great when your solo, or pop on a great pillion for your mama. This bike will cruise comfortable all day long at 75mph - just don't forget the earplugs if you add an aftermarket pipe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome,

1. No problems cruising at 75-80. In fact, it still has alot of roll on left at that speed.
2. The stock seat is no problem for <1 hour trips but many have upgraded their seats. I have the Mustang vintage seat and love it for long rides. Others have one of the Corbin seats and like them as well. There are many options for the Handlebars and/or risers. Do a search on this website and you'll find discussions on them. Depending on your height and reach I'm sure you'll find exactly what you are looking for.
3. I haven't heard anyone report any of the transmission problems that are plaguing some of the Roadstar owners. In fact, I believe that the folks racing these bikes are using the stock transmissions and some of them have 150+ HP.
4. I payed $10K for my 02 last August but many are reporting they can get a 02' for $8.5-9K now and a 03 for $10K. If you want the 03' do a little haggling and you should get the dealer to drop a little. Unless you want one of the new 03' colors I'd recommend the 02' Save the money, the differences are minor.

Since I bought my bike, I've had no complaints. I still get a big smile every time I take it out. The only thing that chaps the wife is when I come on this forum and find a new mod/part I just gotta have.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] This forum is great.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Chris
02 Red Warrior
NJ

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
You'll love this bike on the freeway. You can be going 80, in 5th and still dodge a cage with a flick of the wrist. I have a 30 mile freeway trip to work each way and I ride everyday it's not raining. There is no better way to wake up, than to dart in and out of traffic at 6am, going 100+ mph with your face pulled back in a hideous grin and tears streaming directly in your ears! (somehow I only managed to get 1 ticket last year [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]) The hard part is forcing yourself to go to work and not take off on a daytrip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm generally not worried about tickets.
So I'm getting that you all like the bikes a bit. If I could find an 02 for a good price I wouldn't be against it. There are a few shops around here that are pretty good but they seem hesitant to deal. The last one I went to told me they can't come off the msrp much because they sell too well but the same bike has been there for a couple of months so thats basically untrue--I told him I'd drive to Alabama and get one there and he changed his tune a bit.

I'd say the Warrior is on the top of the list but I need to get rid of the Vulcan 1st. I don't think they would do it justice on a trade so I'll sell it privately.

Thanks for the advice/reviews. If it was on looks alone it would be no contest. I have seen 30,000 bikes that don't look as good.

Thanks again, AJ

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
All the Atlanta area dealers I visited in regards to the Warrior last October are very proud of their prices and would rather see cobwebs forming on their showroom stock than deal much below MSRP. The best was probably Motions down on Cobb Pkwy, he came down after calling some of the dealers I mentioned. But none could make it worth my while, so I went to MS.

Funny thing, I went back to a couple of these guys in February, and the same Warriors were still on the floor, at $1000 off MSRP (and that was a BIG sale). Guess they figure someone will walk in the door on an impulse and just buy it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hey sarge take some advice if you plan on riding at 75 or 80 mph you'll need to get some narrower bars I don't know if anybody else suffers the same problem as I do but at about 75 or 80 I loose control of my helmet you're like a big parachute at that speed
I replaced the risers and put the flanders drag bars on it and cut them down about 2 inches on either end and it reduced the drag on my skid lid considerably, no fun trying to drive lookin thru the vent holes in the chin piece of yer skid lid LOL
aside from that the bike is awsome in every way and will satisfy
your every urge to whack the throttle and keep mommma happy
the passenger pegs may be a bit high for her if she's long legged like my girl so that may be something you'll want to look at
yamaha has a footpeg extension kit out for the rear pegs whether it's ready for shipping or not I don't know, they weren't when I tried to order a set

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I frequently ride in the 85 - 95+ mph and don't have a problem with my helmet. I wear a full face and a half helmet. I am 5'6" so maybe I'm below the turbulance. I have the stock bars and usually don't run with a shield. I can feel lots of wind in my chest, but it isn't that bad until you hit about 120. Anything above that and you better be laying on the tank or all you are is dust in the wind [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I tried Motion and Metro cycles and both were pretty firm on the price. I know the guys in both shops and figured they'd hook me up a bit but that doesn't seem likely. I have no problem going to Birmingham or MS to pick one up. At least I'll get the break in done on the ride back (I can fly there 1 way for $64 bucks and ride back). Of course my first stop would be Metro cycles with the bike and the receipt.
I guess they don't believe you when you say you'll go out of state to buy it, I always believed in the "bird in the hand..." saying.
BTW, Freewheling Honda in douglas county is the best dealership I have been to, the customer service is awesome but they are a honda/triumph dealer so I'm SOL there for the Warrior. They did the dyno run on the Vulcan for me (62 HP and 52 Ft/Lbs--not bad for an 800 with only 460 lbs of bike and 200 lbs of rider to tote around).

Also--is there a stock seat that doesnt suck? The Vulcan seat was the 1st thing I changed on mine when I bought it--got the mustang & love it.
Thanks again. Look forward to getting together on some rides in and around Hotlanta. I'd go with the vulcan but you'd have to keep slowing down for me to catch up.

The guy selling the zrx1200 called today to lower the price, tempting--that bike is faster than the v-max in the mag tests and handles better but I'd end up sleeping on the couch. Plus the Warrior is just too cool looking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts