RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all of you that might be trying to sell something, I have a person trying to send me a cashiers check for $3300.00 more than I want for an Item, I am to then send the overage to a shipping company by Western Union. My item is in the RSWarrior classifieds, However due to a freak accident of sending the e-mail to another Warrior Site Member, I found out that his Item on EBay was aproached in the same sort of manner. So buyer BEWARE. Sorry to use this forum for this but I think it is Important, Hate to see a member loose cash and items close to the Holidays like this. What happens is you get the cashiers check... Which you take to your bank and they cash, after you send off your Items, the check is no good and you get charged back and lose your items and if you send the extra to a "shipping company" or whatever by Western Union...You are out the cash too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ya, it is not just on Ebay or the classifieds, they call you usually from overseas and offer a large amount, usually 3000-3500 bucks, you cash it, send most of it back and you are out the rest cuz the check is bogus... I have a friend that has a rental house, they contacted her and wanted to do this scam, she actually went to cash it but the bank said no go...good thing. She then discovered it was a scam.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
It's a very old scam, I'm suprised everyone doesn't know of it already.

We are a growing site, and on everybody's search engines. So that makes us a target for stuff like this. Just like any other place on the web that buys and sells stuff. Just use a little common sense and a lot of caution and you will be fine.

Couple of tips:

[*]Get a phone number, and call it. These online scammers are successful because they can remain anonymous. They might give you an overseas phone number, "just in case you might need it", but they are betting you won't bother to drop a dime on an overseas call. If you do, you will find that the number is bogus.

[*]Don't ever send money to the buyer!! Sounds nuts, but people do this. Usually you get a story like; he has a freind that lives in the states, nearby, and he owes him more than the item he's buying, he's gonna give you a cashiers check for the whole the the amount he owes his "buddy" to you and you send him the balance, minus a couple hundred for your troubles. Problem is it can take your bank up to a month to verify the actual funds from an internation cashiers check. But people think a cashiers check is as good as cash, and send them the balance. They think they've sold their item for all of what they asked for and then some,when in all actuality, they just sent X amount of dollars off and no one ever comes to get the bike.
[*]Don't use their Escrow company. Sometimes the scammer will ease your fears by suggesting you use an Escrow company to hold the funds. If they do, insist on using a company of your choosing. Phony Escrow companies can be set up on line very easily. If using your own Escrow agent is a deal breaker for the other guy,then walk away.
[*]Finally, and most importantly, If it sounds to good to be true, it ALWAYS is.[/list]

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
We already have another topic going on this subject, and since the other one has a few more replys, let's put any future replies on that one.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21372

1 - 9 of 9 Posts